NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's

hanging side by side

Not sure this is the right sub-forum for this query, so mods...move if warranted.

So here's my question. I was over on dutch's site the other day looking for new bling and he had a video with his double whoopie hook that showed how it was made for folks who hang side by side using a spreader bar to separate the hammocks. The suspensions are independent. What I was wondering is, has anyone else hung this way? And if you have, how did you handle getting in and out by your partner? Does the hammock on one side slide out of whatever you're using for the spreader bar? Or, do you have to get out of one side on the "left", and the other side on the "right"?

This method of hanging looks really intriguing since my GF doesn't like to hang by herself. I'd love to DIY a spreader bar for this as well, and get a couple of these double hammock whoopie hooks and make this happen.

here's the video from Dutch.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Hennesey Explorer A Sym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Fly
    Suspension
    Stock
    Great idea. I have been thinking of doing the same with my wife. I want to have them opposing each other. Shouldnt make any difference just flip one around.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    If you look in my gallery, there are pictures of my wife & I using trees on the head end @ about that space. We kept each other awake most of the night. When either of us moved around much we would bump the other and wake them up. We now use the same tree @ foot but much, much wider @ head end.

Opinion only & never used the spreader bars, I think if one person moves, the other will feel it through the bar movement that's attached to your suspenion. I don't think a spreader bar can be long enough to make this work very good. Might be good for napping.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    If my biased opinion matters....This is one of my favorite products because it does just what you are asking about. It make it so your partner or child can feel comfortable sleeping in the forest. The see-saw effect was a major concern and there is a learning curve. Having the hammocks even where the spreader bars hook is important. Also you will hang lower than usual when the hammock are not connected. I like to hang it low enough that the quilt is just a bit off the ground. When the second person gets in they will even out and be higher. The spreader bar length has an effect on how much they will see saw. Shorter is better. Both people should sleep in the same direction. the greater the distance from the tree to the spreader bar the less pressure that will be on the spreader bar.

Most important advice is Gresh snores. I never recommend anyone sleep with him.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    Thanks guys! And Dutch, you're biased (or even unbiased) opinion is much welcome and valued. At a hang this past weekend, my gal had a non-climbing carabiner (a 12gm edelrid rated at breaking strength of 480Kg no less) break and dropped her, so she's a little leery of dropping again. So, my concern is really in the getting in and out. I'm sure it has to be slowly, my worry is just that if you get out of the wrong side of one hammock, it looks like it might slip off of the spreader bar, or rather the spreader will slip out of the hook, dropping the spreader on the ground. That would be a major annoyance. Still, I think I could overcome that.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Grand Trunk nano w/ whoopies!
    Tarp
    11'x14' silnylon
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    3/4"wbbng tggl whp
    Thanks lostagain for getting the topic on my radar, and thank you Dutch for coming up with this wonderful idea!

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Fun to use `em all
    I like the idea. What length spreader bars have ya'll used with good success? I ask because I don't own any at the moment and would like to know what a good starting point would be. Thanks!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I would like to know what size tarp is recommended in this setup?Thanks!

Hammock
    UW Multicam
    Tarp
    SF or Stars
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Try here for a double hammock tarp solution. Smokehouse still makes these I think.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...neymoon-Suite)

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS & DIY UQ
    Images
    Interesting idea. I want to encourage my girlfriend to hammock with me more often, so something like this might be a half-decent solution.

• + New Posts