Dutch Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Whoopie Hook Suspension

I recently purchased several things from Dutch in order to set up some suspension with amsteel, I really like the stuff. And titanium hooks and clips are super light. Anyway, the first time I tried to set up the hammock with 8 inch continuous loops in the ENO hammock with 6 foot whoopie slings and 4.5 foot tree straps, I couldn't get the suspension tight enough to get a 30 degree angle. I'm guessing the trees are between 10 and 13 feet apart. I did successfully hang another hammock with whoopie slings and straps using a marlin spike hitch. Has anyone had problems with trees being too close using a whoopie hook suspension and what do y'all do in that case?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like you have no hammock ridgeline? If you had a continuous ridgeline at 83% of the length of the hammock, your hammock would take up 92.96 inches. The continuous loops would add approx. 4.5 inches to each end. So the minimum distance between trees that you would need would be 101.96 inches. However, the tree huggers will add to that distance (depending on diameter of tree) and you have to factor in an 8 to 10 inch bury on the whoopie slings.

I generally look for trees at least 12 to 13 ft. apart with my 11 ft. hammock and Whoopie Hook suspension. The tarp ridgeline also factors in - my tarp ridgeline is 11 ft., so with Dutch bling I generally need at least 12 feet.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    That makes sense. I've been thinking about a hammock ridge line and I have some extra amsteel left over. Is it just a line with fixed loops at both ends?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonVelos View Post
    That makes sense. I've been thinking about a hammock ridge line and I have some extra amsteel left over. Is it just a line with fixed loops at both ends?
    Usually, if you know the exact length you need.

I made a whoopie sling ridgeline for my last hammock. Used the recommended length for my hammock, plus/minus a foot adjustment for fine tuning. Turned out about 6 inches longer than recommended length worked best.

Make a whoopie sling ridgeline using the leftover Amsteel. Mark the tag end at 83% and you can adjust from there to dial in the correct hang. I use a Dutch biner at one end so I can unhook when I'm using the hammock as a chair.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Thanks. I started with an adjustable ridge line and determined that 99 inches was right for my ENO.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonVelos View Post
    Thanks. I started with an adjustable ridge line and determined that 99 inches was right for my ENO.
    That doesn't sound right. Isn't every ENO hammock 9'4" (112 inches) long? And 83% of that would be 92.96 inches. A 99 inch ridgeline would be more like 88% of the hammock length.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That doesn't sound right. Isn't every ENO hammock 9'4" (112 inches) long? And 83% of that would be 92.96 inches. A 99 inch ridgeline would be more like 88% of the hammock length.
    You're right. I started at 93 inches and didn't feel right, so I hung my ENO on the turtledog stand that I built which has given me the best angle so far and measured the ridge line, it turned out to be about 99 inches.

• + New Posts