Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightest weight bug protection, suspension, tree straps

Hi All,

I've just recently acquired a BIAS WW micro and now I need a suspension and bug netting. Going with the theme of UL, I would love to hear about the lightest options out there. Currently I am targeting dutch's suspension kit and a bug net from BIAS.

On a side note, what is a fronkey net?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The bug net that BIAS sells is an example of a fronkey-type bug net. It's named after a Hammock Forums member, fronkey, who I believe made an iconic how-to video on making such a bug net. It's basically a bugnet that is not attached to the hammock, and which you enter from the bottom.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pension-system

For your suspension, check out my thread I started a week ago. However, Dutch discontinued his speed hooks for the time being. They are being redeveloped due to the design weakening the suspension system.

I'm waiting for the speed hooks 2.0

However, for a responsible (LNT), durable, utlralight suspension, most agreed on 4' tree huggers, 7' amsteel leads, and speed hooks. However, I was going to do 4' tree straps, an adutchable clip, 7' amsteel leads, and speed hooks.

Both systems weigh less tha 4oz for both sides. And should have a long service life.

For bug nets, I'm in the research phase. People are trying everything imaginable for a bug net design. However, a fronkey bug net is a proven design that just plain works.

Thanks for the replies guys, I am interested to hear more suggestions! Keep 'em coming

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You can't get much lighter than a Whoopie hook or Speed Hook suspension. The BIAS NanoBuginator or Dutch's Fronkey-style bugnet both weigh around 7 ounces, but that's as low as I'm willing to go for 360 degree bug protection. You can save a couple of ounces with the HUG half-bugnet (5 oz.), but it is based on the premise that your hammock, TQ and UQ will serve as bug protection. I don't like that approach because bug season is hot weather, and I'm known to kick off my TQ in my sleep. I'd hate to wake up ravaged.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I'm waiting on one piece of material and when it arrives will cobble together the lightest combination bug net/weather shroud known to man!

It's made of .70 ounce bug net and .31 ounce CF material.

Imagine a checkerboard that alternates net and CF. From the side it looks to have six panels. But the top panels of the ends and middle are a continuous piece that folds over the SRL, repeating the checkerboard on the other side.

The CF material will make up peak beaks that replace my polycro ones at a reduced weight (polycro is .5 ounces a yard). CF material will also make up lower side panels in the middle that extend down as splash guards protecting the UQ, replacing my polycro UQ protector.

In the top is a center panel of bug netting and there's bug netting at the bottom corners, too.

If this shroud is staked out there will be high/low ventilation yet protection from bugs, wind, and rain.

Clear as mud, right?

Pictures soon.

I like the Speed Hooks and Anchors but without them you might want to use a Becket Hitch to attach leads to tree huggers. Dejoha demonstrated that method at the recent Texas hang. It is both easily adjusted and secure.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

MDSH, your project sounds glorious!
    Please let us know when you have a chance to make progress.

For very light weight bug protection I suggest making a bug net out of a fabric called tulle. You might have to try a few different sources of tulle to find a reasonably strong and durable fabric. Make a fronkey style net or just a tube with drawstring on one end. To reduce weight further taper one or both ends so there isn't a lot of extra net on the end (If you make a drawstring type closure I recommend not tapering that end so that you can easily scoot the net past your butt in the hammock.) I constructed a tube style bug net with a drawstring on one end and the net weighs 3.0 oz.

Cheers

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Take a look at the Dutch Kevlar straps for some very light weight options. I just replaced my whoopies and huggers with a 10ft Kevlar buckle system, and I've noticed that it is considerably less bulky. Not entirely sure of the weight difference as I don't have a good scale, but I think the bulk savings is great.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just use the same headnet I have on my face for hiking in buggy places when I'm sleeping too. So far I've never been bitten by a bug and I don't think there's a little option out there.
    I do kinda like that Fronkey style one though, but I'm weird.

Fronkey

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast