Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Top and Under quilts in the same stuff sack?

This may have been posted before but I couldnt find anything on this topic. I am wanting to put both of my quilts into the same stuff sack. Is this a good idea and I am not wanting to buy a whole bunch of compression stuff sacks I was wondering what size everyone has used? By the way my quilts are both 20* HG, the underquilt is full length. Thank you in advance for the advice!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I use my 20° Incubator and Burrow often. I put them both into a 45L Outdoor Research pack liner and that goes into the bottom of my pack. It's basically just a big dry sack. There's plenty of room left over for a down jacket or clothes if necessary. Otherwise, I just roll/twist it shut and push out all the air. Fills the pack nicely with no odd shaped stuff sacks.

You could also use a trash compactor bag; a lot of people do this.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I just started using a lazy slug tube, and I love it. TQ, UQ and hammock stuffed together crammed into the bottom of my pack.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    I stopped using stuff sacks all together for my quilts. They get put in the bottom of my pack and and it seems to form better instead of having a bulky stuff sack shape.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Yep, unless I'm putting them into my oversized snakeskin (think Lazy Slug Tube; it increases efficiency when setting up and breaking down), they go loose into my pack liner. It fills up the dead spaces in the pack, and makes my job easier compressing them into the pack. Makes for a more tidy, better-filled pack.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks everyone!! I have thought about not using stuff sacks and just stuffing them into the bottom of my pack. I am a little worried about damage to the quilts, by other items in the pack or on the trail(branches). Maybe I am being to cautious and the quilts will be just fine. I just do not want to damage these quilts as they were a big splurge for me and I cannot afford to replace them.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak85 View Post
    Thanks everyone!! I have thought about not using stuff sacks and just stuffing them into the bottom of my pack. I am a little worried about damage to the quilts, by other items in the pack or on the trail(branches). Maybe I am being to cautious and the quilts will be just fine. I just do not want to damage these quilts as they were a big splurge for me and I cannot afford to replace them.
    Hrm? What kind of pack do you have, and what kind of bushwhacking do you do?

On fairly well-groomed trails (most of the "hikeable" ones are here; Linville Gorge, parts of the Art Loeb Trail, and a couple of the saw palmetto sections of the Florida Trail are the only ones I've been on that I can think of off of the top of my head that might fall into "bushwhacking" while on trail), a normal pack should stand up just fine to twigs and branches. Honestly, I'd be more worried about wear at the frame connections and harness connections on most packs.

And if you use a 2- or 3-mil trash bag as your pack liner (a pack liner is something you should have anyway, given that it's going to waterproof your down), it'll stand up to some serious attempted punctures. No joke, spend $5 and buy a box of the lawn and leaf bags at your local grocer's, then try to punch an hole in one. It's going to require quite a bit of effort.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Hrm? What kind of pack do you have, and what kind of bushwhacking do you do?

On fairly well-groomed trails (most of the "hikeable" ones are here; Linville Gorge, parts of the Art Loeb Trail, and a couple of the saw palmetto sections of the Florida Trail are the only ones I've been on that I can think of off of the top of my head that might fall into "bushwhacking" while on trail), a normal pack should stand up just fine to twigs and branches. Honestly, I'd be more worried about wear at the frame connections and harness connections on most packs.

And if you use a 2- or 3-mil trash bag as your pack liner (a pack liner is something you should have anyway, given that it's going to waterproof your down), it'll stand up to some serious attempted punctures. No joke, spend $5 and buy a box of the lawn and leaf bags at your local grocer's, then try to punch an hole in one. It's going to require quite a bit of effort.

Hope it helps!
    Great advice, thank you. I don't do a lot of bushwhacking. However, where I have hiked here in the Black Hills, to get to a place to hang I have had to go through some decently thick stuff. I have a Marmot Kompressor Verve 42. I haven't used a pack liner before(I know I should). I have always just put my down in a waterproof stuff sack. I was thinking of using a pack liner, wasn't sure what the best option would be. I have seen compactor trash bags being used.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I bushwhack like crazy. The OR sack liner I mentioned is pretty beefy, but not real heavy. 3oz I think? Just like their dry bags, I'm sure it would hold up to a lot of abuse. But my pack takes a beating first and I never noticed any tears or punctures.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I hate pack liners. Just freaking hate them. That is all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast