Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing

does anyone use the ENO Ember 2 for indoor hanging?

I'm in the market for a synthetic full-length underquilt for indoor hanging. I currently use a PLUQ, but I'm not happy with it.
    My short list, so far, is ENO Ember 2 and Arrowhead's New River 1-season (Jarbridge was excluded because of its partial length).
    The final cost between the two (inc. shipping) is considerably different: ENO Ember 2 $100 vs. AHE $174.
    I'd appreciate hearing people's experiences with either UQ, in respect to indoor hanging. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    How cold is your house? I find a 3/4 length UQ fine for my cool basement. Do you plan on eventually using it outdoors? The ENO is a little heavier with some unneccessary matarial near the ends of the hammock. If you want to be more weight conscious, if you don't need full coverage and if you're only going to use it in the summer/indoors, the one season Jarbidge River might be a consideration and its not that far off the price of the ENO. I think the ENO would be OK to just use indoors or on summer trips but at a 50 degree rating I don't think it would be effective outside of summer.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What temperatures are you looking for in an indoor underquilt? If it's above ~55* F (as most homes are maintained these days), I'd just get some thick fleece from JoAnne's Fabric and the cheapest nylon they had to act as an outer shell to break any breezes. It'd keep you warm just fine at those temps and be far cheaper (perhaps $50, at most) than either of the options in your post.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Check out www.keepcalmandhikeon.com. They have a 2 season underquilt with 700 fill down for $130. Plus they are a cottage vendor.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    How cold is your house? I find a 3/4 length UQ fine for my cool basement. Do you plan on eventually using it outdoors? The ENO is a little heavier with some unneccessary matarial near the ends of the hammock. If you want to be more weight conscious, if you don't need full coverage and if you're only going to use it in the summer/indoors, the one season Jarbidge River might be a consideration and its not that far off the price of the ENO. I think the ENO would be OK to just use indoors or on summer trips but at a 50 degree rating I don't think it would be effective outside of summer.
    Temp. goes down to 60 degrees. I sleep cold, so I prefer a full-length UQ. I might use it outdoors, but only for backyard summer sleeping, so weight isn't an issue.

Hammock
    eno double/ GT double/ tablecloth
    Tarp
    GG 13x13
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    If it's shaped anything like the ember 1 (like it looks in pictures) the banana cut of the ember forces you to sleep banana and not our favorite "lay flat" diagonal.
    I have the ember 1 and it's plenty warm, but the banana shape relegates it to a nap hammock only-
    my.002

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by cncswiss1 View Post
    If it's shaped anything like the ember 1 (like it looks in pictures) the banana cut of the ember forces you to sleep banana and not our favorite "lay flat" diagonal.
    I have the ember 1 and it's plenty warm, but the banana shape relegates it to a nap hammock only-
    my.002
    I thought I read a question somewhere asking if the shape of the Ember was restrictive, and the reply was that it wasn't. Your experience, however, rules out the Ember 2 completely for me, as it wouldn't be used just for naps. Thanks.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Update: I contacted ENO about whether or not the Ember 2 would prevent sleeping on the diagonal. Their speedy response was that the Ember 2 was redesigned to better flow with the hammock shape, which would allow more diagonal movement. So, the ENO Ember 2 is back on my short list.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    FWIW, and just to give you another option, I don't use an UQ indoor's. I have a fleece lined 20*F LLBean camp bag I use (seems like fleece lined isn't available any more, but I'm sure the flannel would be just as cozy!). It's not much of a pain, and is super cozy in the hammock year round. I keep my house around 68*F in the winter, and 72*F in the summer. Some venting is required in summer.

They're on sale right now for about $80.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Update2: received the ENO Ember 2 UQ and used it last night - very happy with it. No problem going diagonal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast