Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Opie Great pics thank you , Ike that other thread really helped a lot thank you as well. I really like the continious ridge line over the tarp method. But I dont see any advantage to using a figure 9 knot over a prusick kont in regards to adjustability along the ridge line? Espically bc the prusick seems so easy to tie. Is it just a matter of preference. To bad I have to wait about a month to get my WD in the mail. Ill just have to pratice my knots till them.
    The figure 9 prusiked to the ridge line is for attachment on the second tree.

The first one is just girth hitched... i.e. tail is run through the loop. On the other end, you need to have some way of pulling the ridge line tight. What it means to have the figure 9 prusiked to the line rather than attach it normally, is then you can slide the figure 9 anywhere along the ridge, easily.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    AAAHHH Opie great explanation. That makes so much sense. So on the fist tree you secure the ridgeline with a non adjusting knot. On the second tree you secure the ridgeline with a figure 9 prusiked knot which is adjustable to tighten the ridgeline. Then you use prusik knots to tie the tarp to the ridge line. Making it adjustable. This entire system allows one to use NO hardwear lightening ones entire tarp system. Except using biners to attach tarp to prusik knot along ridgeline. P.S. sry to repeat what you just said I think. When not being able to converse with a real person I like to type out how I understand what the person just said to make sure I understand.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

You could probably do away with the figure 9 altogether and use that 3rd prussic for the loop back for a trucker's hitch. No hardware at all! Loop it back, tie it off with a taut line hitch and hang your tarp.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    AAAHHH Opie great explanation. That makes so much sense. So on the fist tree you secure the ridgeline with a non adjusting knot. On the second tree you secure the ridgeline with a figure 9 prusiked knot which is adjustable to tighten the ridgeline. Then you use prusik knots to tie the tarp to the ridge line. Making it adjustable. This entire system allows one to use NO hardwear lightening ones entire tarp system. Except using biners to attach tarp to prusik knot along ridgeline. P.S. sry to repeat what you just said I think. When not being able to converse with a real person I like to type out how I understand what the person just said to make sure I understand.
    yes you have it. Although you don't have to use biners to attach tarp to prusik....you can pass the loop from the prusik through the tarp's D-ring, or tab, and then afix there by using a lark's head to attach a small trail stick, which then jams up against the D-ring or tab. Me I use minibiners to avoid the fuss of this step, but otherwise have reported this method and it makes sense to me. Especially if I lose the microbiners as I'm likely to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    You could probably do away with the figure 9 altogether and use that 3rd prussic for the loop back for a trucker's hitch. No hardware at all! Loop it back, tie it off with a taut line hitch and hang your tarp.
    yep I do something close to that. Having that adjustable prusiked anchor on the line to use (in any one of a number of ways) to assist in fastening the line is right handy.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Yep.

Im still trying to come up with something even simpler...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    yes you have it. Although you don't have to use biners to attach tarp to prusik....you can pass the loop from the prusik through the tarp's D-ring, or tab, and then afix there by using a lark's head to attach a small trail stick, which then jams up against the D-ring or tab. Me I use minibiners to avoid the fuss of this step, but otherwise have reported this method and it makes sense to me. Especially if I lose the microbiners as I'm likely to do!

yep I do something close to that. Having that adjustable prusiked anchor on the line to use (in any one of a number of ways) to assist in fastening the line is right handy.

Grizz
    Ive thought about incorporating the tarp prusiks into the ridge D-rings. Downside is the ridgeline is permanently attached to the tarp.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    Just out of curiosity, could a UCR constrictor be used instead of the prussics? I have been thinking about this for several days and I can't see a downside.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    When using a figure 9, truckers hitch, or other means of tensioning the line, does the line cut or saw into the tree when it slides around the trunk? Also, is it really necessary to tension the ridgeline very tight since you will be hanging the weight of the tarp and tensioning the guy lines? Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've thought about incorporating the tarp prusiks into the ridge D-rings. Downside is the ridgeline is permanently attached to the tarp.
    This is what I do anyway. I don't use biners to attach the prussiks to the tarp D-rings because I never take them loose.
    What's the downside?
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    This is what I do anyway. I don't use biners to attach the prussiks to the tarp D-rings because I never take them loose.
    What's the downside?
    I sometimes leave the tarp connected to the ridgeline prussiks. On the plus side, it's all together...I have a talent for misplacing important bits of gear. Got the tarp : got the package. On the down side, there's a slight be more fuss involved in centering the tarp. SOP is to attach ridgeline and move prussiks to center the tarp. Slightly more complicated when moving the prussiks means pushing the tarp too. Not a biggie by any stretch of the imagination.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast