DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Hammock with Integrated Bugnet Question

I'm thinking of making an 11 foot hammock with a zippered bugnet and was wondering about how much no-seeum netting most of you out there typically use for it? Also what size zipper and about how long? I'm only planning on putting the zipper on one side. And are triangles necessary for each end of the hammock if I'm just using a zipper on one side. Thanks guys any info. is much appreciated.
    " The quickest way to the universe is through the forest wilderness"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    The short answer is the length of your ridgeline. 4 yards should be more than enough. That said...

If you want an integrated bugnet you need some form of tie outs on the hammock to keep the net out of your face. I built this one last summer: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ock-A-Tutorial

There's also a current thread here on the diy section on building a warbonnet blackbird clone.

Diy gear supply has some good info also.

Personally I've moved away from that model. I just built a gathered end hammock out of hyperD that's more comfortable than my hennessey clone (extra length). I don't find the tie-outs necessary for comfort once I find the sweet spot.

Personally I found the bugnet a hassle, since I only zippered it on one the net can never be removed completely. I could never just sit, or lounge in it properly, because unless I was laying in it with the net zipped the seams always seemed strained.

I'm building a fronkey style net combined with bug sock for my new hammock to avoid this. I'm making it wider on one side with a draw string to make removal/storage towards the foot end possible. This takes around seven yards.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post

Personally I found the bugnet a hassle, since I only zippered it on one the net can never be removed completely. I could never just sit, or lounge in it properly, because unless I was laying in it with the net zipped the seams always seemed strained.

I'm building a fronkey style net combined with bug sock for my new hammock to avoid this. I'm making it wider on one side with a draw string to make removal/storage towards the foot end possible. This takes around seven yards.
    +1. I'm now with either a separate net or completely removable.
    --- Bill ---

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I too started out with an integrated, zippered bugnet but have switched to a Fronkey style with an open bottom. I don't even use a draw cord. There's a little bit more work setting up, but absolutely no fiddle factor getting in & out of the hammock at night to go water the bushes. Also, with no zipper, I can reach under me and adjust the underquilt effortlessly. I'll stick with this until I wake up, sharing my hammock with a snake!
    Last edited by MAD777; 01-21-2015 at 21:31.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use 3 yards of noseeum for a 10.5 ft gathered end. You can drape it over the hammock on a diagonal to cut the net to size. I use to use #5 zipper but have switched to #3. Lighter and looks better. You do not need the triangles if going that route but I recommend them so the zipper can wrap around the hammock to unzip it to one end. Order enough zipper for one side, so if it is a 10.5ft hammock, order 10.5ft. You can sew it one side, and just hide the ends in your gather. That's the easiest way, IMO.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks a bunch guys! I already have a Fronkey bug net with my current hammock and like it a lot. Just bought that an integrated looks a bunch cleaner and more streamlined. But you make some good points. I may just try and go with totally zipped.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Some people like the security of a zipper... and I suppose that hammocks with zippered nets have their place. I for one am a big fan of the 'fronkey style' net. At Sheltowee, I've modified that design and lopped off the excess fabric on the bottom and the cinch and made it more form fitted, and added bits of shock cord to use as 'tie downs'. Here is a quick video showing off just how easy it is to get in, situated, and back out without having to mess with zippers or velcro closures.

Plus, they're really easy to build! I'd be happy to share this design so you can make your own
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Love the design, Alex! Would love to try that myself and it's very generous of you to share it. No problem with bugs collecting in the open bottom ends? Is the hammock tight enough on those ends to act as a barrier?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Very interesting twist! Hmmmm....
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Enobuffalo View Post
    Love the design, Alex! Would love to try that myself and it's very generous of you to share it. No problem with bugs collecting in the open bottom ends? Is the hammock tight enough on those ends to act as a barrier?
    thanks! no, I haven't had any problems with bugs collecting in the ends... I have had some crawlers make their way in, either down the hammock suspension or up the staked down cord; but the perimeter of the hammock makes a good seal all around to keep most of em out.

I keep the ends open like that because it still allows access to the built in gear storage in my Boone hammocks; but you could shape it even more, or sew it up completely.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Very interesting twist! Hmmmm....
    Its a lot less fabric than the fronkey style net, and like you've said, many don't bother cinching the bottom channel. I suspect both styles seal up better once someone is in the hammock; staking mine down, however, does seals well even when no one is in the hammock as well as helps keep the sides from collapsing inwards (kinda like what side tie outs do).
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast