Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter and Down TQ?

Hey,

First time posting to the forums. Love this place. Since I made the switch to hammocks, I've been on these forums almost daily.

Anyway, I just ordered a new Hennessy Expedition Zip for my birthday (upgrading from a way-too-small-feeling Grand Trunk Ultralight) and plan to purchase the Super Shelter and a Top Quilt in a month or so.

I've been looking at the HG Burrow 20 but before I drop about $300, I just want to ask all of the HHSS users about your experience with down top quilt/sleeping bags. With all the feedback about condensation (with or without the space blanket), am I setting myself up for failure with a down top quilt? Am I better off with something synthetic like the AHE Owyhee?

Thanks!

If it helps, I mainly camp in Eastern/Southern Ontario (canoe/kayak trips in Kawartha Highlands, Bon Echo, plus normal campgrounds for car/beer weekends) from Early May through Early October, so nothing approaching winter (yet!). But lots of either wind/cold, hot/humid, and everything in between.

It shouldn't be long before the SS guru Billybob pipes in regard the super shelter he as a lot of good info and likes his however many here do not. If you were to look over the forums you will find nothing but good thing to say about HG products i cannot comment at the moment still waiting for my under quilt to arrive. Welcome to the forum.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by megatate View Post
    With all the feedback about condensation (with or without the space blanket), am I setting myself up for failure with a down top quilt?
    Condensation happens. It does not instantly ruin down. Avoid it but don't fear it.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The condensation is under the hammock, not on top. Your quilt will be perfectly fine. Figure out the temps you want to hang in. I use my SS down to about 2-5C very comfortably. I can push it a bit farther with a space blanket. If you plan to camp a lot in the spring/fall, consider a 20 degree quilt instead. You can go synthetic if you don't backpack, but down is king when it comes to packing small.

Images
    Alright, Hanginyaker, I have shown up as predicted! i don't know how I became the so called HHSS Guru, since there are more than a few successful users here plus I also use lots of other gear, actually more than I do an HHSS. Must be just because I am the one who is so quick to jump in and tout any advantages it might actually have and over an 8 year period.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    The condensation is under the hammock, not on top. Your quilt will be perfectly fine. Figure out the temps you want to hang in. I use my SS down to about 2-5C very comfortably. I can push it a bit farther with a space blanket. If you plan to camp a lot in the spring/fall, consider a 20 degree quilt instead. You can go synthetic if you don't backpack, but down is king when it comes to packing small.
    I agree, it is mostly a down under issue. But you are very comfy to about freezing and with no sp.blanket? No condensation below? I think you might be the HHSS Guru! I did get a wet bag foot box and foot end of the pad one time when I did not use the SpBl. At about 45-50F with lots of humidity. Other than that, with the SpB, essentially dry. Except for the one time mentioned above, worst case for me was a few drops under the hammock on the SpB.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-20-2015 at 14:58.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The most condensation I've ever had was a few small spots a couple of inches in diameter. It has never been enough to get me wet, it's always under the pad. But I'm a cold sleeper and don't produce much moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Alright, Hanginyaker, I have shown up as predicted! i don't know how I became the so called HHSS Guru, since their are more than a few successful users here plus I also use lots of other gear, actually more than I do an HHSS. Must be just because I am the one who is so quick to jump in and tout any advantages it might actually have and over an 8 year period.

I agree, it is mostly a down under issue. But you are very comfy to about freezing and with no sp.blanket? No condensation below? I think you might be the HHSS Guru! I did get a wet bag foot box and foot end of the pad one time when I did not use the SpBl. At about 45-50F with lots of humidity. Other than that, with the SpB, essentially dry. Except for the one time mentioned above, worst case for me was a few drops under the hammock on the SpB.
    I ment it in a nice way

X

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I should be good with the SB in colder weather.

What about above 50F? I don't see many posts about using the SS on milder nights. This might be a new topic for discussion with other users. But I'm curious what SS setup do others use (undercover only, UC with pad and with/without SB).

Regarding the UQ, with all I've read here about the super shelter (and Tom's videos) I really want to give it an honest go and see if I'd be happy with this type of insulation. Plus there's the initial cost (since I'm getting a top quilt) and I've had bad luck with pads in the past.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the HHSS as well, although I don't have as much experience as BillyBob58 I certainly love the product, I really think Tom Hennessy really took the time to understand the cold problem and found simple ways to deal with it.

Above 50F, I don't bother with a vapor barrier, the HHSS works fine (and I'm a cold sleeper). I also use a homemade down TQ that is good to about 40F without any issues. However, I really never use the HH without the SS as part of the system, and I am definitely content with its performance, even at higher temps I use the UC with pad, simply regulating my temperature by throwing off my TQ.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by megatate View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I should be good with the SB in colder weather.

What about above 50F? I don't see many posts about using the SS on milder nights. This might be a new topic for discussion with other users. But I'm curious what SS setup do others use (undercover only, UC with pad and with/without SB).

Regarding the UQ, with all I've read here about the super shelter (and Tom's videos) I really want to give it an honest go and see if I'd be happy with this type of insulation. Plus there's the initial cost (since I'm getting a top quilt) and I've had bad luck with pads in the past.
    I certainly do not need a SpBl from mid 40s to above 50F. The problem might be condensation without one. I have gotten away with no SpB several times and been warm enough and dry enough. But that one time the humidity and temps came together just right(close to 50F) and though I was warm enough, I was definitely wet. Including the foot of my Polarguard sleeping bag. Thankfully all dried quickly, by that night, and I was warm and dry the rest of the trip in the Olympic NP Rain Forest.

Here is my first hang in my HHSS (or any other hammock for that matter) at a little over 10,000 ft in WY, 1st week of Sept:

Isn't that tarp pitch a thing of beauty? Shows how much I lacked in HHSS knowledge. I never did get the tarp right that trip, but that HH UC saved my butt from some icy winds, tarp or no tarp. But this helped, the view from my hammock with tarp removed:

By next year, I was getting pretty skilled with this set up, even though this is the trip- next to the river- that condensation(no SpBl) got the foot of my pad and bag wet:
    (in Olympic NP WA)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast