Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Hangloose4, are you trying to modify PU coated MarPat fabric in order to gain the elusive MarPat tarp? If so, I'd recommend searching the forums for "DIY Sil Nylon" and use the 1.1 MarPat fabric from DIY gear supply.
    Now here we go. I just was looking for a few more minds to come together on the matter. Not looking to modify. Just take the PU coating off my existing material. And looks like i will just have to try a smaller sample to see what happens. I get just buying a new material is most likely the better choice and just save the coated stuff for a fly of some sort but I try to pioneer even this it ends up disastrous most time haha. Alright well hopfully by the end of the week I'll have tryed a few different things and I'll get back to post some results. I do have a junk washer/dryer combo that I can basically use for whatever so I'll see what I can mess up.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    My prediction, to do three yards of fabric, you will spend more on chemicals than the correct replacement fabric would cost and most likely end up with a sticky mess to toss in the trash.

Start by looking up the composition of polyurethane paint stripper and then use chemical resistance charts for both nylon and polyurethane to see if it is likely to attack nylon or to find other potential chemicals to try.

Expect to lose the DWR treatment as well.

Images
    What's the over / under on the break even point? I want a piece of this action.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Just wait and the coating will peel by itself. I have several PU coated duffle bags, stuff sacks etc. and the PU coating comes off at some stage. I don't know why, though. It's annoying. Maybe UV-light?

What do you want the fabric for? I would be hesitant to use a lot of chemicals if I wanted to make a hammock. It can't be healthy. In addition it's probably not exactly eco-friendly. You might also damage the fabric with the chemicals. If it would be me, I'd buy the right fabric for the job.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I would be hesitant to use a lot of chemicals if I wanted to make a hammock. It can't be healthy. In addition it's probably not exactly eco-friendly.
    Avoid using dihydrogen monoxide; given time it should work but would it be worth it? http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Avoid using dihydrogen monoxide; given time it should work but would it be worth it? http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
    I think it would take a LOT of time lol!

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Just wait and the coating will peel by itself. I have several PU coated duffle bags, stuff sacks etc. and the PU coating comes off at some stage. I don't know why, though. It's annoying. Maybe UV-light?

What do you want the fabric for? I would be hesitant to use a lot of chemicals if I wanted to make a hammock. It can't be healthy. In addition it's probably not exactly eco-friendly. You might also damage the fabric with the chemicals. If it would be me, I'd buy the right fabric for the job.
    yeah ive read that the UV light will break down the PU coating but who depends on time, altitude, material is coated on i assume and im sure quite a few more things. yeah ive been thinking it over and i still want to cut some off the end to see if some normal household products and procedures would affect the coating at all. but ill will most likely be purchasing another length of fabric. just wanted to rant and maybe learn something. being im new to all this im interested in things im unsure of. guess before i start take a thimbleful of Dihydrogen Monoxide and and the rest for the test. thats good interesting info to know!! thanks

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    You will also want to avoid Hydrogen Hydroxide (HOH). It is the most prolific solvent on earth and can cause much damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    You will also want to avoid Hydrogen Hydroxide (HOH). It is the most prolific solvent on earth and can cause much damage.
    Will do all I planned on using is some stuff I could find around the house and maybe some light OTC stuff nothing highly concentrated stuff. I mean I still want to keep the integrity of the fabric good n healthy and after hanging in it not Have my skin fall off or turn green

Hammock
    Hennesey Explorer A Sym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Fly
    Suspension
    Stock
    If it dissolves the coating, why wouldnt you think it would dissolve the fabric itself?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast