Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    The south parking spot make 2 and 3 good choices.
    I'm concerned about people not signing in at the kiosk in the park then driving around to the South Parking spot. I have aways signed in myself so the rangers would have no excuses. TrailRunner got a warning one time that they check the plates and have the right to tow if they are not signed in or there are too many at certain parking areas (this was for site 9&10 parking). Can one person sign in for the group so then people can come at will and just leave a note on their dash or does each vehicle need to sign in?

Hammock
    Dutch Hex 2.4 Dbl
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Down20bag Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Webbing
    Images
    Would love to join in, but travelling that weekend. Darn. I'll catch up with you guys sooner or later. )

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink79 View Post
    I'm concerned about people not signing in at the kiosk in the park then driving around to the South Parking spot. I have aways signed in myself so the rangers would have no excuses. TrailRunner got a warning one time that they check the plates and have the right to tow if they are not signed in or there are too many at certain parking areas (this was for site 9&10 parking). Can one person sign in for the group so then people can come at will and just leave a note on their dash or does each vehicle need to sign in?
    Each car has to have registration slip visible in windshield. They're pretty firm on that.

Hammock
    RG60
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    Makin' whoopie
    Every vehicle needs to sign in no matter which site we decide to rest our bones at. I know people have gotten away with not registering and claiming ignorance, but it is good etiquette to sign in at the kiosk, so bring a pen. I believe from their perspective registration is a safety issue and they want to have a head count of the number of individuals in the woods and where they should be found. IMHO it is really not a hassle to make a quick stop at the kiosk and write your name, site etc. If you can't make it until after dark, and don't want to make a stop at the kiosk, leave a note for them on your dash saying you showed up after dark and will register your vehicle the following day, include the site that we are at and names of people that rode in the car. I am sure they will check in with us no matter what. These are NOT technically group sites so one person signing in won't fly. The group sites are located in a field near the latrines and the kiosk. Anyone interested in joining that has not been to a Mohican Park and Pack site, please take a look at this link https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=2015-4-10&c=1 to see where the sign in kiosk is (again, bring a pen just in case.) All of the parking lots are within a 10 minute drive from there. The southern lot is not on this map but see the map image Jlink posted on page 4 of this thread to see where that lot is located in relation to the Bridle lot which is circled. So once we decide on a site people can plan their route from kiosk to parking lot, be it the North Lot (sites 9 and 10), the Bridle lot (sites 1-7), or the South lot (sites 2 and 3, which bypasses the ankle to knee deep creek crossing.) Another note, fail to register at your own risk, take responsibility for your own decisions, and remember to pack out what you pack in etc etc etc.

Only a little more, I promise.

I initially planned for sites 2 and 3 because last time we were there I was under the impression that all attendees thought that, aside from the winter hangs at sites 9 and 10, we should make mohican group hangs at these sites, but I am nothing if not flexible. There is plenty of time for this, but I just feel like locking down an exact site location is second in importance only to the date that we decided upon. From there we can get anything else in the works (carpooling, potlucks etc.)
    Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak.

“They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. ” ― Khalil Gibran

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Kia Kaha it'll be good to see you again.

Site 4 is a short walk to bridal staging area. Other than that you would have to be in the park proper.

The Zaleski hang will have water and a latrine which might make it a better hang for the kids.
    Same here, it's been about a year, I think it was last Spring break when the great Ohio weather hit us. I am taking two of my boys to Red River Gorge KY this Spring break, looking forward to it. Hopefully I will see you at this one.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Brother Jeffery, or anyone..........just a curiousity question. When you talk about the switch back, uphill, downhill stuff, and since you have been to these sites before, is this something that can be handled with arm crutches? Doc say's I'll be able to put full weight on that leg, but doesn't see me being without crutches in time for this hang, but my goal is none or just one.arm crutch.jpg I'm quite capable and resourseful, but I need a bit more idea of the terrain, if you know what I mean. I understand the stream portion, I don't see that being a problem. I understand if it's a muddy slippery mess, I may not be able to swing it, but under normal circumstances how is it? I just want to get out so darn bad

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    uploadfromtaptalk1424399322809.jpg

This is a rough map of the area.

Hammock
    RG60
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    Makin' whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Brother Jeffery, or anyone..........just a curiousity question. When you talk about the switch back, uphill, downhill stuff, and since you have been to these sites before, is this something that can be handled with arm crutches? Doc say's I'll be able to put full weight on that leg, but doesn't see me being without crutches in time for this hang, but my goal is none or just one.arm crutch.jpg I'm quite capable and resourseful, but I need a bit more idea of the terrain, if you know what I mean. I understand the stream portion, I don't see that being a problem. I understand if it's a muddy slippery mess, I may not be able to swing it, but under normal circumstances how is it? I just want to get out so darn bad
    Diva, It is a pretty steep, single switchback down into the valley. I would say for the most part it is doable, but the turn on the switchback is where it would get pretty hairy. The ground is uneven with rocks and junk right there. But aside from that I would say that it is doable. If you have your son with you, he could feasibly give you a little bit of assistance at that spot. I've never actually came in from the south parking lot and don't know if that would be any easier. It looks like it may not be too bad looking at the topo map jlink posted here. So, I guess I would say doable with the assistance of another person from the bridle parking lot. Coming back up would also be pretty taxing for you. Like I said, this is a fairly steep switchback. Coming from the south lot may be a better option, but I have never really been up there and don't know what the trail is like coming down from over there. Though, it is close enough where we could probably hear a loud yell or a whistle or something and give assistance.
    Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak.

“They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. ” ― Khalil Gibran

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Divab,

Under the best conditions when the trail is dry it is going to be pretty rough especially the steep parts because it is primarily an equestrian use trail and like Brother Jeffrey said, it's steep. Although not a long hike something around a half mile or maybe less, I find that the hike out is a pretty good heart pumper. We did a winter hike on it last year about 12 miles that was about all I wanted of equestrian trails for a while.

What I was hoping is that someone could bring a pair of rubber pullover boots that could be shared for the creek crossing so folks could come into camp with dry feet. Nothing like getting wet feet 50 yards from camp. I'll stop into Tractor Supply on the way home some evening and see if they have any of those cheap pullovers we used to use for the barn.

David

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth gathered end. 126x60
    Tarp
    DIY Assym SilNylon
    Insulation
    Down & synth
    Suspension
    Straps & whoopies
    I'm thinking I want to see what I can do about riding my bike down and joining this soire...
    Transportation for Hiram Farm

Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast