Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Two bit's of advise for this one; there really are bears in that area so keeping your area clean and hanging food is important. I never use bear bags in the areas I normally frequent but I will on this hike. When I hiked it a few years ago I found bear sign and I lived in northern Maine so I know what bear scratches on a tree looks like. All of the bear sign I saw was on day two close to the eleven point river.

2nd, if you ever wanted to combine fishing with backpacking, this is an opportunity. On day two we'll be along the Eleven point river that has trout and small mouth bass. I really don't know what's the main fish in the area where we'll be on day two but I suspect it could be either or both. I'm torn between a #4 weight fly rod or an ultralight spinning rod/reel combo. I only expect to get an hour or two of fishing on day two but to me it'll be worth packing it in with a few small lures or flies.

Water is plentiful and there's some neat areas/features.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and I think this will be a great three day hike. Seems like we haven't had a chance to hike together forever.

My last "hang" was a short nap in a hammock in Kusadasi Turkey. I'll tell you about it around the camp fire on night one!

I hope to get out in July and August despite the heat for some short over-nighters if anyone is interested.

Enjoy the day
    Gideon

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Here is a link to the collard bears in the area: http://mdc7.mdc.mo.gov/applications/blackbears/#

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    dyna-whoopies
    I just moved to MO a couple weeks ago so if it's alright, I'll be there to pick everyone's brains about camping areas... As well as your secret fishing spots

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds great! welcome to MO!
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

I would love to join you guys in this trip if its possible.
    I use a tarp-tent, hopefully this is not an issue when it comes to choosing campsites.
    Best,
    Last edited by Mazen; 07-02-2015 at 01:33.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Good to hear from you Mazen, a tarp tent would be perfect for this hike, no issues there whatsoever!! Should be a good group and it's a perfect 3day, 2 night hike.

Urbpyt; it would be great to have you and you're more than welcome to come along. Can't say how many "secret" fishing spots you'll hear about but I can tell you a little bit about Missouri fishing. Where in MO did you move to?

I've never fished the Eleven point river so I don't expect to do well but I expect to enjoy just trying!! Main thing is the hiking so I won't hold up anyone for the fishing but we'll have some time in the evening or early in the morning to make a few casts!

Can't wait for this one!

Gideon

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    dyna-whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Good to hear from you Mazen, a tarp tent would be perfect for this hike, no issues there whatsoever!! Should be a good group and it's a perfect 3day, 2 night hike.

Urbpyt; it would be great to have you and you're more than welcome to come along. Can't say how many "secret" fishing spots you'll hear about but I can tell you a little bit about Missouri fishing. Where in MO did you move to?

I've never fished the Eleven point river so I don't expect to do well but I expect to enjoy just trying!! Main thing is the hiking so I won't hold up anyone for the fishing but we'll have some time in the evening or early in the morning to make a few casts!

Can't wait for this one!

Gideon
    Moved to Joplin from Ohio, all my family is down here and the wife got a job offer at Mercy hospital so it was a no brainer.

I'd be interested, but I know I wouldn't be able to make it during the day on Friday. If anyone wanted to do a shorter trip in the area, I'd be interested.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Sorry to hear that Cragh; it's a full/true three day hike so if you can find anyway to take off on Friday, it would be great to have you!

Gideon

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge 4s
    Suspension
    Loops/Straps/Dutch
    I plan on heading down Thursday to avoid having to get up at 3am on friday and start driving. I'm assuming there is a place to camp near the trailhead for the night?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast