Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY 1.0oz HyperD
    Insulation
    DIY PLgold 48x60
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Shoot I took longer than that just making a rectangle UQ! Even more impressed, but you appear to have some MYOG skills already.

100% agree on taking your time. I find it also helps to stay humble too. My mistakes happened well into my build when I thought I had everything under control.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Yep, seems like right when you get excited because things are going well and you're almost done is when the fatal mistakes happen! haha

So, Dad saw Mom's new quilt and got jealous. Of course I had to make him one as well.

His has a slightly different design. Of course I sized it more appropriately for him. I also uses thinner baffles and less down because he sleeps warmer than mom, but the quilt should still get him down to 25-20 degrees no problem. I experimented with the baffle layout a bit to try to keep the down closer to his core for maximum efficiently.

He also tends to be a bit rougher on his gear than mom, so i made a few tweaks for the sake of durability. I used 10 denier fabric for the outer shell and 7 denier for the inner, rather than 7 for both as I used for Mom's. I also beefed up the snaps and used metal eyelets for the drawstring outlets rather than button holes.

All in all it should be an ideal quilt for the high Sierras. 12oz or water resistant down with quality calendared DWR coated ripstop.

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DH Darien/DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx, HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Amazing job, Kevin! And not only one, but TWO done! I've only managed to buy the fabrics, thread and down. The ruminating and planning are still a ways off for me. Way to go! Did you have a particular pattern or directions that you found most helpful?
    Love the photo of Mr. Fidel Catstro, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by mcspin50 View Post
    Amazing job, Kevin! And not only one, but TWO done! I've only managed to buy the fabrics, thread and down. The ruminating and planning are still a ways off for me. Way to go! Did you have a particular pattern or directions that you found most helpful?
    Love the photo of Mr. Fidel Catstro, BTW.
    Thank you!

I'm really more of a figure it out on my own type of guy than a instructional/guide follower. Plus, the best thing about DIY is that you can customize and make whatever you want! So unfortunately I really don't know of any instructions to recommend. However, I will be making another quilt similar to these very soon (gosh, i really need to start charging labor at some point ) and I wouldn't mind making a picture and/or video tutorial on my methods if people think it would be helpful.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great work, Kevin! That looks beautiful.

Fronkey

Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Great work, Kevin! That looks beautiful.

Fronkey
    Thanks Fronkey! BTW, I'm originally from your neck of the woods. Also went to school at Chico State.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12