Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question for Peapod users, Help fast!!!!

Im looking at buying a Peapod for the Mount Roger hang but a little lost after reading the older, dated threads. It seemed like there was only one Peapod available from Ed Speer that was rated at 50 degrees back in the day. Now TTTG has two, the Peapod 20 degree and the Polarpod 10 degree. I have read that the older Peapods had a gap between the PP and the hammock that you could stuff with a jacket or clothing for an extra bump of insulation, is that still an option? I also read that people would take a TQ or a blanket for extra warmth in the PP. Here Is where Im at, I have a 30 Deg UQ and a 35 deg TQ. I'm thinking of getting the 20 deg PP. If I combined my TQ 35deg and stuff a down parka in the gap between the PP and hammock what rating would you think the PP would get me down to? Would the UQ fit instead of said jacket or would that make it to confining on the inside? I'm looking for being able to go down to 0 degrees with the 20 Deg PP does anyone have some good tricks. Thanks All

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I have an older PP from Ed (sewn-thru style) that's rated to 20 degrees. I have mated it with a HG 20 degree Incubator and gotten it down into the low teens and was HOT, and I am a cold sleeper. I also used a 20 degree TQ inside the PP as well. I think it would have worked to 0 or below with ease. With a 30 degree UQ, 20 degree PP and 35 degree TQ you should be good to go unless it's really windy, then you'd just need to pitch your tarp low and close the doors ( assuming you have a tarp that can do that). It does get pretty darn windy up in the Mt. Rodgers area.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    I have an older PP from Ed (sewn-thru style) that's rated to 20 degrees. I have mated it with a HG 20 degree Incubator and gotten it down into the low teens and was HOT, and I am a cold sleeper. I also used a 20 degree TQ inside the PP as well. I think it would have worked to 0 or below with ease. With a 30 degree UQ, 20 degree PP and 35 degree TQ you should be good to go unless it's really windy, then you'd just need to pitch your tarp low and close the doors ( assuming you have a tarp that can do that). It does get pretty darn windy up in the Mt. Rodgers area.
    Do you think the UQ & TQ would both fit inside the PP and still allow me to be comfortable and not restricted?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Do you think the UQ & TQ would both fit inside the PP and still allow me to be comfortable and not restricted?
    How big are you? There is X amount of volume inside any PeaPod or PolarPod(which has more volume). A PeaPod is 6 ft wide at the widest point, a PolarPod is 7.5 ft wide. You might want to cut a piece of string to these sizes, lay in you hammock with quilts and wrap the string around them and you and see what it looks and feels like.

If you have not seen it, here is my old long detailed report of the baffled 20F Speer PeaPod from 2007, which is very similar to the one sold now by TTTG.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=PeaPod
    In my most severe test of it at 10F, I added a 25+ year old summer rated synthetic bag liner rated at maybe 40-50F, used as a top quilt, plus a thin 2 oz space blanket added in the bottom, plus my usual winter sleep clothing, to be plenty warm enough. Unless you are maybe really large, or maybe unless your hammock is really wide and deep, I think there will be plenty of room to hang an UQ and a TQ. And even if you and your hammock are extra big, the much wider and longer PolarPod will take care of that. And you can add very significant warmth with summer model quilts.

On other trips I have used a narrow Claytor hammock plus just my puffy clothing(which I had anyway for the hike) layered on top of myself(no TQ) to be just warm enough at 27F. ( I think narrow hammocks work better unless you are adding other quilts, then it doesn't much matter)

It is my personal opinion that a PeaPod is the best way (most certain to work, easiest to deal with) to insulate most non-bridge hammocks. That is because it is- assuming mostly or totally closed up, it is simply draft proof, plus lots of head protection, like a mummy sleeping bad but without the hassles in a hammock. And the pod does not weigh or cost significantly more than a size long TQ + hood + full length UQ. I have sold my old faithful but have been on the verge of buying a new one or a PolarPod.

About that gap you mention: there is no gap on the bottom, unless you want one. If so, then you just hang the pod looser to create a gap that you are planning to fill with other insulation(even a parka or vest) for amazing amounts of loft. Otherwise, you just snug the pod up by tightening the nylon cords just enough so that the down is just touching your back. Usually this means you start with a good sized gap under the hammock, then when you get in the hammock sinks more than the pod so that your back touches the down. If the down is flattened too much, get out and loosen. If there is still a gap, get out and tighten. Or have a friend do this while you are in the hammock. Either way, very simple. (or increase the gap for warm weather sleeping)

But the gap on top is whether you want one or not. If you have a very narrow shallow hammock like a Claytor No Net, the top layer of the pod will be able to sink down to be mostly in contact with your torso and legs. With no or a small gap. In this case a 20F rated pod will act(on top) like a 25-35F sleeping bag either all by itself or with the help of a little clothing, layered instead of worn maybe. But if you have a wide, deep hammock, then you have a potential problem. Say you have a 20F model with 2.5" of top loft. But the top left and right edges of your hammock are lifting the top layer up off of your body, creating a cold gap of 1" or 3 or 4". So let's say you have a gap of 2" average. The avowed extremely cold sleeper Ed Speer used to rate his 20F pod at 50F on top for him when useed alone in his deep Speer hammock. I found it more like 30 or 40F for me when wearing warm clothing, but YMMV. So lets say 50F. But now you add a lets say 30F narrow TQ with 2" loft, completely filling the gap. So now how much is your total top loft? 2.5+2"= 4.5" total 1 layer top loft. Brother, that is one warm TQ right there, probably well below zero. Just add a little more on the bottom and you have a deep winter draft proof bag, as comfy as any other quilts.

Of course, at some point you run out of room and start compressing the loft, are too restricted for comfort or can't close the Velcro. But you can certainly add enough- including thin space blankets or CCF pads under the hammock- to get this thing down to zero or below. But if you know up front you will be adding lots of thick quilts top and bottom, better to go with the 1.5 ft wider and 1 foot longer PolarPod.

One other thing. Keep in mind the effect of the face vent, which can be fully closed or 1/2" or 12" in diameter. I had a claustrophobic friend who did not understand about top gaps and face vents and it ruined his trip. Unlike me, he could not stand to close the pod over his face, even though when closed it will usually be an inch or 3 above your face, from the top gap mentioned earlier. And he did not take enough puffy clothing for layering- like I did- or for creating a neck collar. First night of the week, it was in the 20s, and he had a small hammock(4 ft by 8 ft) which should have been perfect. He would close the face vent almost entirely and be very warm but freaking out from claustrophobia. Then he would open a good sized face vent and cold air would sink right in freezing him. He just could not stand anything near his face. He was miserable! It was not easy to get him fixed up for the rest of the trip, but we finally did.

So keep in mind: if you must have a big face vent, be prepared to have enough puffy clothing- ot TQs or sleeping bags- to be able to at least form a collar at your neck thick enough to block off your lower body so all of that warm air does not rush out of the face vent. You can actually have your head outside the pod, but be sure to have some thick insulation for your head and face. A JRB hood would be great.
    HTHs! Keep us posted on what you decide and how well it works!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-12-2015 at 00:31.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    BillyBob did a great job of describing the Peapod, so all I have to add is: I have the regular peapod and the polar pod, and by far the polar pod is much more comfortable and warmer. I am only 5'10 and I found the regular peapod too restricting for getting a good diagonal lay in the hammock. I used my Polar Pod last year at the SC Frozen Butt Hang 14* and I had my Speer hammock with Snugfit (20*) UQ and a 20* TQ and I was very toasty warm. Good luck in your decision.
    Last edited by Cali; 01-12-2015 at 08:51.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks billybob58 for the great info, very helpful

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    BillyBob's answers are the best, by far. I agree with all of his observations, and I'll still always use the PP as a supplement to my normal TQ/UQ system. I've been using a BIAS 11' for the past couple of years as my go-to hammock, and this makes it a little more difficult to rig as BillyBob mentioned (designed for a shorter hammock), but it's workable. As I mentioned, I am a cold sleeper and this rig hasn't failed me yet!
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    I have seen peapods and for sure you could get a TQ and UQ in there. You can see stairguy's at 6:15 in the video below.
    I can get a TQ an UQ in a sleeping bag I use as a pod. Minor down compression but I always sleep warm and was toasty in -40º.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm wondering if the Polarpod would be a better size for me. I'm not small but not very very large. i'm 6'1" 225Lbs. I like the idea of the peepod though for its higher temp rating so I could use it in the shoulder seasons. Also Im a backpacker and weight does matter too. All my hammocks are 10 footers, I tried there 11 footer and wasn't into it so peeped should work for me. Anyone willing to rent me one for the weekend to try out LOL

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Shug, Wow! Stairguys set up is plush. I tried using my WM sleeping bag with my TQ & UQ after watching one of your videos and it was snug, really. really snug. I think the bag I have compared to the one you where using is a lot more narrow. It kind deterred me from the pod idea but yes it was toasty. Watching your video again last week I noticed the bag you used was defiantly wider. Tonight when I get home i'll have to get everything out and do some measuring. Thanks for all the help guys you all know how hard it is to buy this stuff without ever trying it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast