Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice please on TQ or bag that FITS

Ok, I'm really looking for something that will get me down in the 20-25F range for a bag/TQ. I'm not sure which to get - I've never used a TQ. And, I've never had a backpack sleeping bag. Always had those big Coleman fleece-lined 10+ lb monstrosities that would cook you in anything over 30F.

I can't find a sleeping bag that "fits". I'm tall, and have very wide shoulders/chest. For a comparison, I do have an MSS Patrol Bag (anyone actually know WHAT temp it's rated for?). If I stand, put the hooded portion over my head, I can JUST zip it closed, but simply can't move inside it. I'm a side sleeper, and would like to have my arms be able to move in/out as need arises. Using the same bag, I CANNOT lie down and zip it up. For a temperature "rating" - I have slept out in it once when about 24F, with the MSS bivy, in a 2P tent, and couldn't zip it up. Used a Thermarest Scout XL underneath. Had a set of Cabela "polar" weight fleece thermals on, and did the toss-n-turn all night because I was cold. Next night was about 26 or so, and friend had a wool blanket I put on top. Toasty all night. I did NOT use any kind of reflecting ground insulation either night (which I now have).

I want something that I can use for tarp/bivy camping, hammock camping, and backpack tent camping. And want something that's backpack "light". And get's me to about 25F with relatively light thermals. Again, I'm a side sleeper. And I now have an inexpensive reflecting ground cover (teeny bit of foam core, about 5x7ft square (I got it to go over the floor of my 2P tent). I'm looking for something that will work with all types of camping (bivy, 2P tent, hammock). I am definitely NOT a fan of mummy bags.

So - for those who have used the same setup (or relatively the same), would you recommend a top quilt, and if you recommend a sleeping bag - which one? I did order (and return) the Nemo Rhythm 25 long that was on a closeout sale from REI. Again - couldn't really zip up to much more than halfway up my upper arm. Again - could stand and zip. But that approach doesn't lend itself well to small tents or work too well with hammocks.

I've been seriously considering a top quilt - possibly a Ray-Way DIY. Also like to make a bivy that's wider than the MSS military bivy - but still goretex, etc. If you suggest something, I'd prefer muted colors. Not really into stealth camping - but simply don't like SCREAMING color schemes. Muted, earth-type tones.

So - anyone have ideas or advice given the above info?

Oh - couple of FYIs in regards to above.

With patrol bag zipped, I can just let it slip down off of me and step out of it - still zipped. Also - I could stand it yo be 2-3" taller. Or more.

Images
    How tall are you and what size jacket/shirts do you wear? Weight?

Apparently pretty big, as you say "I'm tall, and have very wide shoulders/chest.".

These are bigger than normal large size UQs:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/the...s-large-quilt/
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/the...n-large-quilt/
    This last one will swallow you:
    As will this one:
    http://www.tttrailgear.com/speer-peapod/

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    You're going to find that a bag that fits is going to be that much more unused down and other material weight under you. Tough to be recommending that you go from a very basic Coleman to a very technical-use quilt, but I do think that's your best bet. I personally, with 40 chest, find a 55" wide quilt to be too wide in a hammock. That might fit you, not sure, so it might be worth looking at the Enlighted Equipment quilts where the wide version is 58". They even have an extra-wide version at 64" which seems to me like something to share with your girlfriend/wife (not either-or, just whichever it is).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    How tall are you and what size jacket/shirts do you wear? Weight?

Apparently pretty big, as you say "I'm tall, and have very wide shoulders/chest.".

These are bigger than normal large size UQs:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/the...s-large-quilt/
    This last one will swallow you:
    As will this one:
    http://www.tttrailgear.com/speer-peapod/
    6'4"
    57-58" chest (not including biceps)
    38" sleeves (dad referred to me as an orang when buying shirts/suits)
    43-44" waist

Normally have to get 3XLT shirt to go around chest/shoulders.

Waist/hips aren't the problem with either the patrol bag or the nemo. It's the shoulders and chest.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd check out the cottage vendors for quilts. Most of them do custom work, it sounds like you need a heavily tapered quilt.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5" 1.9oz ACU Digital Hammock
    Tarp
    MACCAT Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 20F UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I 2nd a custom TQ!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I can tell you that a Ray Way quilt is an excellent choice for a TQ. I bought one from a member here ( Dos ) and used it for almost two years, then I sold it back to her when I made my Underwoobie. She told me she'd always regretted selling it. What you'll end up with is a great TQ, some experience in MYOG, and the satisfaction of using something you've made.

New Member Keep Calm And Hike On's Avatar
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    I would look into the Sierra designs top quilt or have one of the cottage makers make you a custom one. I've made some quilts 90 inches long for a guy that was tall and didn't want a tight mummy so it folds over to give him the option to have it in either a mummy or a squared off foot box so he can spread out a bit in his double hammock.

Check out my site send me a note id love to make you a custom long quilt.

Ryan
    www.keepcalmandhikeon.com
    Ryan Boyles
    Owner
    Keep Calm And Hike On
    www.KeepCalmAndHikeOn.com

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly/pole mod
    Insulation
    Burrow 0 / Yeti 0
    Suspension
    WoopieSling
    I cannot think of using a bag again, TQ's for me, ground or hang... I like the room and the less restriction of a bag. What works for you my friend.
    I have slept in a hammock on every continent from -20 to +128, under direct and indirect fire, from frost to fungus except Antarticia.... But give me time... Thank you Uncle Sugar!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast