Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Canada Source for Materials?

Greetings

I am new to the forum here. I am looking to make a DIY hammock (bridge style most likely) and some quilts.

I am in Canada and it seems that all of the places that I have found materials for purchase are in the United States. The cost of shipping and customs tends to make this a bit on the cost prohibitive side.

As for what i have found so far in Canada. I have a local climbing gear shop that I frequent (I am a rock climber too). So I have ready access to webbing, carabiners, rope and rings, etc. They also sell silnylon and polyurethane coated tarps of various sizes.

I have found a Canadian source for high quality down for making the quilts that I want. What I haven't found is a source for ripstop nylon, silnylon and other fabrics for the actual hammock, the quilt shell and liners and noseeum mesh for the bug net and quilt baffles.

Searching the forum for this information didn't yield anything useful. Does anyone have any Canadian sources for the fabrics necessary to make hammocks, quilts and tarps.

Thanks

Brian

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    No sorry, the only one I knew of was textile outfitters in Alberta -justmakeit.com
    and they went toes up recently.

I did find this on a google search
    Fabrics for the Great Outdoors 60 Bristol Rd. E Unit 9, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, L4Z 3K8, 800-798-5885

and Penny at specialty outdoors lists some Canadian suppliers on her site
    http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/sources.asp
    Last edited by E.A.Y.; 08-31-2009 at 20:30. Reason: added a link
    -Liz -

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    Hey Brian .... welcome!

I am on the other side of TO and have only been able to find rip-stop in Fabricland and Len's Mills. I have a Len's about 10min from home so I tend to visit there more often than Fabricland. I have a brother in your area so I'll have him keep an eye out for stuff ..... although .... I get first crack at it!
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodster View Post
    Hey Brian .... welcome!

I am on the other side of TO and have only been able to find rip-stop in Fabricland and Len's Mills. I have a Len's about 10min from home so I tend to visit there more often than Fabricland. I have a brother in your area so I'll have him keep an eye out for stuff ..... although .... I get first crack at it!
    Thanks for the info Jodster. I have a Fabricland store a few minutes from where I live. I will check there first. Also other people have had success with the Walmart Superstores, there are a few in my immediate area, so I will check there too.

Checking the Len's Mill store locations, they don't have any stores on the East Side of Toronto, so if I can't find what I am after locally, I might have to make a road trip. ;-)

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    Brian

If you find any fabric at the Wally ..... let me know. I've check a couple of the local ones and according to my wife, the Canadian version of Wally World doesn't carry fabric anymore.

Good hunting!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Brian

If you find any fabric at the Wally ..... let me know. I've check a couple of the local ones and according to my wife, the Canadian version of Wally World doesn't carry fabric anymore.

Good hunting!
    Jodster

I visited the local Walmart Superstore around me (2 of them) and neither of carry fabric. Bummer. I also went to the Fabricland close to me. They have Ripstop Nylon, not sure of the weight per sq. yd., but it was 150cm wide (59") coated with Polyurethane. The label said it was a PU coating. So that was my interpretation of what it mean. I about fell over when I saw the price listed at $15 per meter. What's the price you've seen at Len's Mills?

The Fabrics for the Great Outdoors place mentioned earlier in the thread doesn't have a working telephone number.

So ordering from a supplier in the USA isn't looking as bad as I thought it would. I would just have to find one that would ship via the post office.

Cheers

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    So ordering from a supplier in the USA isn't looking as bad as I thought it would. I would just have to find one that would ship via the post office.
    questoutfitters uses united states post office and will ship to canada - check with them.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    Brian

I did notice that the prices at Fabricland are way higher than Len's. I DID drop a load when I saw those prices..... They do seem to have a cheaper no-see-um than Len's ..... but that's it.

At Len's I'm getting rip-stop for about $4-$6/yd. This is not coated with anything. The treated material seems to be about $8/yd. They have a pretty good range of colour.

I am supposed to be camping with my brother this weekend so I can send a couple samples back with him (with the prices) if you want to see what I'm getting.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Brian

At Len's I'm getting rip-stop for about $4-$6/yd. This is not coated with anything. The treated material seems to be about $8/yd. They have a pretty good range of colour.

I am supposed to be camping with my brother this weekend so I can send a couple samples back with him (with the prices) if you want to see what I'm getting.
    Jodster

Those are much more reasonable prices for ripstop nylon. Also thanks for the generous offer to get me some fabric samples. It is not necessary. I am visiting relatives this weekend and one of Len's Mills stores is a short distance off the highway on the way, so I will stop in a take a look myself.

Thanks for your help

Brian

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex, DIY Marpat
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ, DIY RWQ
    Another option might be a road trip to Toronto’s fashion district. King Textiles on Richmond has a pretty broad selection of stuff, including some “outdoorsy” materials. You have to know what you’re after (ie, be able to recognize materials for what they are) because the people that work there (some of who can be downright crusty) are more in tune with fabrics for clothing and upholstery. Good selection of Velcro as well - widths and colours.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast