sag adjustment problem

I hope this has not been beat to death, I haven't seen this question but may have overlooked it.

my hammock is a skeeter beater pro. I have had it sleeping like a dream ( full time ) but after a mishap I had to re-rig and ever since have had bouts of knee and calf pain. I have moved the ridge line back and fourth trying to hit the sweet spot again for the last few weeks, tried different pillows under the legs and raised and lowered the foot end. I finally took everything down, removed the ridgeline and rehung the hammock ( many times ) without the ridgeline and although my sleep has been a little restless I have not had leg pain for the last couple of days. I think the restless sleep is because I was off work though Christmas and new years and I am getting my body clock back into work mode because I am comfortable in the hammock.

when I wake my feet are generally higher than my head and I am pretty sure that's is causing the pain, what tricks or techniques would you suggest to make it easier to keep from sliding down to the point that this is an issue?

thanks in advance.

creek.

Quote Originally Posted by old creek View Post
    I hope this has not been beat to death, I haven't seen this question but may have overlooked it.

my hammock is a skeeter beater pro. I have had it sleeping like a dream ( full time ) but after a mishap I had to re-rig and ever since have had bouts of knee and calf pain. I have moved the ridge line back and fourth trying to hit the sweet spot again for the last few weeks, tried different pillows under the legs and raised and lowered the foot end. I finally took everything down, removed the ridgeline and rehung the hammock ( many times ) without the ridgeline and although my sleep has been a little restless I have not had leg pain for the last couple of days. I think the restless sleep is because I was off work though Christmas and new years and I am getting my body clock back into work mode because I am comfortable in the hammock.

when I wake my feet are generally higher than my head and I am pretty sure that's is causing the pain, what tricks or techniques would you suggest to make it easier to keep from sliding down to the point that this is an issue?

thanks in advance.

creek.
    I should have added I did not put the ridge line back on, just hung it and adjusted the sag with the suspension.

creek

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    An adjustable ridge line helps solve those problems for me. Start out with a lot of sag & start tweaking it in. Also, messing with the strap hang height makes a huge difference. If you lay R-L, try reversing it and see what happens. If there's a big difference, you may want to play with the end folds/channel bunching.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I am not sure if this will help, but when I started hanging (a few months ago) I could never seem to get the hammock hung the same. To make maters worse, I was pretty much clueless as to what was different. I added the structural ridge line which made the sag the same virtually every time AND I added a string level to the structural ridge line. That way I can easily tell which side is higher and how much it is off level. I haven't any hanging away from home so we will see if it really helps when the trees are strangers.

An adjustable ridge line helps solve those problems for me. Start out with a lot of sag & start tweaking it in. Also, messing with the strap hang height makes a huge difference. If you lay R-L, try reversing it and see what happens. If there's a big difference, you may want to play with the end folds/channel bunching.

SNR
    I went with an adjustable ridgeline (amsteel if that could be a problem) have changed height and amount of difference from level. r/l doesn't seem any different to me, it lays good either way. I lounged in it until about 4 this morning and it felt good, I only left it because I couldn't sleep, had work on my mind and figured if I was gonna lay awake I might as well do it snuggled up with wife.
    KAYAKER, I have used a ridgeline and will again. I have actually considered the line level and even a protractor. since it felt good last night I am going to put the adjustable ridgeline back on tonight, I am tired enough I should not have trouble sleeping.

I am almost 100% sure my issue is sliding down into the belly of the beast while asleep and getting my feet to high, I think I will take the pillow case off of a memory foam pillow so it wont slide easily and put it under my legs to see if that will keep me in place.

thanks fellas.

creek

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old creek View Post
    ...I am almost 100% sure my issue is sliding down into the belly of the beast while asleep and getting my feet to high, I think I will take the pillow case off of a memory foam pillow so it wont slide easily and put it under my legs to see if that will keep me in place.

thanks fellas.

creek

The solution to your problem may be (ironically) to raise the foot side of your hammock about six inches higher than your head side. That will shift your center of gravity toward your head so that you don't slip down while sleeping. Best of luck to you!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you are sliding to the feet end try lengthening the head end suspension and shortening the foot end. Or hang the foot end higher than the head end if that is possible.

When I lay in my hammock my head is much closer the the head end of the hammock than my feet are to the foot end. I find this gives my feet more room to stretch out.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'll add how I adjusted my ridgeline. I set up my hammock with no RL. Played around with sag and multiple adjustments until I was perfect like I wanted. Then while laying in hammock had my kid tie a RL on so it was just tight but not changing the sag.

after watching shug,shug,shugety shug I did raise the foot end to verying degrees and that did help get me to my perfect sweet spot, now I just got to get back to it. I think I may be about right again now so when I put on the ridge line tonight I will have my wife snug a line with me in the hammock and if its not 100% do minor tweaks until I get it back to where it was.

thanks again.

creek.

• + New Posts