Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newzy
    You must have a lot of natural insulation to stay soooo warm with so little.
    ...not so much natural insulation, if I do say so myself; rather, I generate a lot of heat.

The Frog Sac goes on top of me with a foot box rigged. The Wiggys poncho liner is oriented on the diagonal, with one corner tucked under my feet, the opposite corner over my head, and the port and starboard corners tucked under each side. I wear a wool vest, gore-tex pants and down booties on really cold nights!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    How well does it pack down? Same size as PL, smaller? Dimensions? My and standard PL is 62" x 82"
    It is pretty small. 6 feet long, and I think 3 feet wide. Just big enough to cover me without any air gaps. Pakcs down without compressing it to about 6 inches by 14 inches. Just rough guesses from memory though. It does pack larger than a poncho liner, but it also gets me 20* colder.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    All in all I'm very pleased with my PL's. In june here in GA I experimented with them a little. The first night I put one under me in the hammock and one as a top quilt. I was warm mostly except for the cold spots where I was compressing the batting under me. The next night I used two under me and one on top. That was a great temperature.

I didn't get to attempt an under-quilt configuration but I think it would work well enough to justify the cost savings initially but I do want to pick up a good under quilt eventually. I can't see me ever camping in an extreme cold that would require a peapod or anything warmer than a PL top quilt.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    I have used my poncho liner down to about 40 degrees also. I have used it under me, as well as on top. as far as a unde quilt, I think someone from down under had a tutorial for it without sewing. I plan on getting a wiggy's for use as a three season tq.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Here in florida I usually sleep directly on top of my poncho liner,If I get cool I wrap up in in cocoon style and if its more than slightly cool I add more clothes, a pair of wool socks, and occasionally a synthetic fleece blanket. Ive never needed more than that. We are headed to N. Georgia for the first week of October to do 5 days on the AT. I am thinking of turning my poncho liner into an underquilt and using my mid temp range sleeping bag unzipped on top of me. Im hoping Ill be warm enough like this, I dont really have the $$ right now to buy new gear for one week of non-florida camping.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    I love my poncho liner too.... But at 21.5 oz it is heavier than all summer and most three season down quilts out there... And the quilts are good to 20-25 * (40* for summer models) vs 50-55* for the PL....

Pan
    I agree, really heavy for no more insulation than they give, and they compress easily. I lived in a ponch and ponch liner in Viet Nam, and back then they were the best, dried out fast, warm enough for most cool nights during monsoon, but that was then, now is now. That's just my opinion and not probably the best one either. Just had to agree with Pan.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

i agree they are extra heavy compared to alot of options on the market, (the poncho is even heavier!), but at the cost savings, the extra ounces can be well worth it. The military tends to make everything heavier than it HAS to be (heck, Im still hiking with my 9 pound Molle system pack because I cant afford a good quality lightweight one). I am slowly replacing my military gear with more "hiking" designed items, but when I break it down into priorities, my poncho liner underquilt is just fine without spending extra money I could be saving to replace my pack!

Quote Originally Posted by acercanto View Post
    Seems like everyone uses the PL as a top quilt, but how low can you go with a PL as an underquilt? All I have now is a thermarest Ridgerest, and a 25*/40* reversible bag that I've been using as my TQ. I'm planning on getting a KAQ once I have some green things in the bank, but for now I'm just looking for something to replace the pad. Oh, and I like be cool when I sleep.

Curious, Acer
    I was wondering the same thing about the good old stone age wool blanket. Since it will not compress like a quilt, will it work as an under quilt?

Just a Florida boy, be nice.

P.S.
    Yep, the wool is heavy and does not pack well but everyone knows that, but would it work?

I have two poncho liners also but they suck when they get wet

whoops, old thread

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12