Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images

HG Incubator 0°+WBBB XLC = Gaps??

Have a buddy struggling with not being able to get the Incubator to fit properly on his XLC. Any suggestions. He has experienced getting cold in the 20's with with the Incubator and a 20° Burrow. This should not be happening. It is only in the XLC and BB that he is having this issue. All suggestions appreciated. He has been hanging for several years and will be out in the single digits tonight in his WBRR/Spindrift with JRB 40° UQ and a pad. I really want to see his Incubator work out on his favorite hammock!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incu/Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Anchor/Speed Hooks
    I use an Incubator 20 on my XLC and the best advice I can give is to cinch up the primary and secondary suspensions tight - like tighter than you think it should be. I take the primary suspension (the thicker shock cord loop) and wrap it twice around the whipping at each end of the XLC. Then I attach the secondary suspension (the smaller shock cord with S-biners), clip the S-biner to the amsteel continuous loops at each end and tighten those until it starts to lift the underquilt and hammock. The draw strings at the ends of the UQ that follow the draft tubes are cinched by a friend once I'm in the hammock, but only tight enough to remove any gap - these don't need to be very tight at all. Hope that helps - I used my Incubator 20 down to the low teens last weekend in the Ozarks and stayed nice and toasty...

Images
    With no detailed pictures of the setup or specfics the generic answer is gaps between the UQ and hammock as you suggested.

There are many reason why this happens:

Suspension not adjusted correctly. Usually too loose.
    Suspension not attached correctly.
    Draft collar shockcords too tight/too lose

HG only issues I've come across-
    As one sleeps they end up lower in the hammock than when they first climbed in and adjusted the UQ so the butt is now up on the leg shelf creating a large gap at the back.
    When one side sleeps your legs push down on the leg shelf creating a gap at the back.

That is where I would start.

hth
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-07-2015 at 14:58.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joker421 View Post
    I use an Incubator 20 on my XLC and the best advice I can give is to cinch up the primary and secondary suspensions tight - like tighter than you think it should be. I take the primary suspension (the thicker shock cord loop) and wrap it twice around the whipping at each end of the XLC. Then I attach the secondary suspension (the smaller shock cord with S-biners), clip the S-biner to the amsteel continuous loops at each end and tighten those until it starts to lift the underquilt and hammock. The draw strings at the ends of the UQ that follow the draft tubes are cinched by a friend once I'm in the hammock, but only tight enough to remove any gap - these don't need to be very tight at all. Hope that helps - I used my Incubator 20 down to the low teens last weekend in the Ozarks and stayed nice and toasty...
    Thanks! I was planning on going out to his place tonight and cinching it up with him in it to insure no gaps but he has already setup his RR for tonight. We both figured that would be the best solution is to have it tweaked by somone on the outside.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incu/Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Anchor/Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    Thanks! I was planning on going out to his place tonight and cinching it up with him in it to insure no gaps but he has already setup his RR for tonight. We both figured that would be the best solution is to have it tweaked by somone on the outside.
    I just noticed you're in NW MS, and I live in Olive Branch...if you're still having issues after setting it up together I'd be happy to show my setup in person. Just PM me...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    With no detailed pictures of the setup or specfics the generic answer is gaps between the UQ and hammock as you suggested.

There are many reason why this happens:

Suspension not adjusted correctly. Usually too loose.
    Suspension not attached correctly.
    Draft collar shockcords too tight/too lose

HG only issues I've come across-
    As one sleeps they end up lower in the hammock than when they first climbed in and adjusted the UQ so the butt is now up on the leg shelf creating a large gap at the back.
    When one side sleeps your legs push down on the leg shelf creating a gap at the back.

That is where I would start.

hth
    Here we go again! LOL!

I'm curious as to why he didn't put the 0F Incubator on his bridge hammock? Unless the quilt is too long for the hammock that should be an easy set up. UQs can obviously be tricky, can't they, especially with certain types of hammocks.

It's going to be a little chilly tonight for MS!

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Here we go again! LOL!

I'm curious as to why he didn't put the 0F Incubator on his bridge hammock? Unless the quilt is too long for the hammock that should be an easy set up. UQs can obviously be tricky, can't they, especially with certain types of hammocks.

It's going to be a little chilly tonight for MS!
    Cold!! YES!! I don't understand why my family and co-workers think I am crazy. I just don't get it!
    He has tried it on the RR as well and it seems that a gap is created around the flank area. As in maybe it droops a bit at the cuts on the hammock. This again (as you and I have talked about before) is why I like the BMBH during winter as the quilts (which I have not found a one that does not fit the BMBH) seem to hug you around the flank, also giving you something lean lean up against. Anyhow, as I said, he got drafts on his RR with the Incubator as well. He had not problem with it on the BIAS, SLD, and GT UL. Hopefully we will get a few more cold nights this year and we will get it tweaked to his liking. It's tough by yourself sometimes, I have had the same problem and had my son get in mine while I made adjustments.

Images
    Cold!! YES!! I don't understand why my family and co-workers think I am crazy. I just don't get it!
    He has tried it on the RR as well and it seems that a gap is created around the flank area. As in maybe it droops a bit at the cuts on the hammock. This again (as you and I have talked about before) is why I like the BMBH during winter as the quilts (which I have not found a one that does not fit the BMBH) seem to hug you around the flank, also giving you something lean lean up against. Anyhow, as I said, he got drafts on his RR with the Incubator as well. He had not problem with it on the BIAS, SLD, and GT UL. Hopefully we will get a few more cold nights this year and we will get it tweaked to his liking. It's tough by yourself sometimes, I have had the same problem and had my son get in mine while I made adjustments.
    Oh yeah, I have one set up right now seeing how far I can push an MW3! And for old times sake I pulled out my around 6 year old BMBH, the original with removable omni tape net. You know, I did not even notice the shoulder squeeze thing, and any way it didn't take long until I switched to my side and leaned back into the side of that hammock! Nice!

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Ha! Strangely enough, I got CBS last night around 11pm in my BMBH with the 0° HG Inc (+overstuff mind you). I felt around outside the hammock and did not feel any holes. Had to be compression I guess. Everything else was toasty warm, except my derriere! Instead of fighting with that since I was in my DBL layer BMBH, I walked about 20 feet to my Gear Shed (as the wife calls it) and grabbed a pad. Got it situated. Done and Done, my CBS was gone. I slept like a baby last night! All of the neighborhood dogs were evidently inside their master's homes, or it was just so cold they did not feel like howling at the moon. It was one of the quietest evenings in my backyard yet. Phone said 8°, Accurite said low was 9° and the wind was 10-15 mph. I was almost late for work this morning because I did not want to get up!!

Images
    Wow, fantastic test! I am surprised you got the CBS. I have not used that very highly rated under quilt personally, but I have use the same Hammock with a JRB MW 4 at 10°F. I had no CBS at all or anything else that was cold. CBS can really be a mystery. But you took the same approach I would have. If it's only that one small area, why fight it, just get a darn pad! All you even need if it's available is maybe a one square foot pad to go under your butt.and like magic from CBS to toasty! And that is another huge advantage, for me, of a bridge Hammock with the pad pocket.I know that if I was having some sort of issue with an under quilt, or the temperature was just way colder than I had expected and prepared for, I know I can slip a pad in there and not really ruin the comfort. And it will work. Even 20 inch wide torso sized blue pad could save the night! And as far as I'm concerned with no really noticeable decrease in comfort. That's the key.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast