Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex | Std
    Insulation
    Palisade | Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images

Another "What Material" Thread...

I'm thinking of making a gathered end hammock... I'm thinking 11' by 60". I want it to be as light as possible and I need some advice on what material I should use...
    • Dutch PolyD 1.2
    • Ripstop by the Roll 1.0oz HyperD Calendered
    • Ripstop by the Roll 1.0oz HyperD Uncalendered

I would need something that will hold up to 200lbs. I've looked at the charts, but I am curious about what those of you who have used/sewn these materials think the relative merits are.

Thanks for the advice.
    A hanging, though, was something different. I got to thinking. We hadn’t never been to nothing just to have a good time. A hanging was special and we was all getting to go.
    ~ Eddie Whitlock, Evil Is Always Human

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have an integrated bugnet hammock made from a double layer of HyperD 1.0 Uncalendered. It is 10.5' x ~58". it weighs in at 18.2 oz in the stuff sack. I could have gone single layer to save weight, but I wanted it to be durable, as I'm sure many people will want to try it out. I have heard of a few using a single layer of this material for hammocks. I'm pretty sure Papa Smurf at Dream hammocks is making hammocks out of it. It is by far my favorite fabric for hammocks. I have used Argon 1.6, 1.1 ripstop, 1.6 ripstop, 1.9 ripstop, and Dutchs PolyD1.4. All are nice and suitable for hammocks. The least durable IMO is the 1.1 oz ripstop. PolyD is strong and little to no stretch, but is prone to static, I've only made one hammock out of that though.
    If you choose the HyperD, I would use uncalendered, as it will be a bit more breathable and not have the shiny side to deal with.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Papa Smurf at Dream hammocks is making hammocks out of it.
    Yep, just shipped one today built from uncalendared 1.0oz HyperD, Blaze Orange.
    Final weight for hammock and continuous loops = 10.35oz.
    Here's the order details. http://www.dream-hammock.com/order_d...tml?order=1457

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You don't need calendared fabric for a hammock. This is just to make it downproof. However, some 1.0oz HyperD colors are only available calendared, unfortunately. Fine for a double layer (where the calendared side can be facing inwards) - not so fine for a single layer hammock. My olive 1.0oz HyperD looks like a trash bag on the calendared side. I would neither want it outside, nor inside...

If you like more stretch, go with HyperD. If you like more support, go with the PolyD.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by H2Oboy007 View Post
    I'm thinking of making a gathered end hammock... I'm thinking 11' by 60". I want it to be as light as possible and I need some advice on what material I should use...
    • Dutch PolyD 1.2
    • Ripstop by the Roll 1.0oz HyperD Calendered
    • Ripstop by the Roll 1.0oz HyperD Uncalendered

I would need something that will hold up to 200lbs. I've looked at the charts, but I am curious about what those of you who have used/sewn these materials think the relative merits are.

Thanks for the advice.
    Everyone has already given you the basic trades here. You mentioned wanting to go as light as possible, so the only other thing I would point out is that we also have a 1.1 poly double-grid ripstop in addition to the 1.0 HyperD. It's relatively new and not a lot of people know it's there.
    Last edited by ripstopbytheroll; 01-07-2015 at 20:55.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Dutch/Argon or DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    Varies (Down)
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Kyle, I see some poly ripstop on ripstop by the roll, but not sure I'm looking at the one you mean. I think I'm looking at the 'regular ripstop', not some double-grid stuff. Could you link to this double-grid-ripstop? Thanks!

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by murphyw View Post
    Kyle, I see some poly ripstop on ripstop by the roll, but not sure I'm looking at the one you mean. I think I'm looking at the 'regular ripstop', not some double-grid stuff. Could you link to this double-grid-ripstop? Thanks!
    Yup that's it. Here you go: http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collecti...z-poly-ripstop
    - Kyle

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex | Std
    Insulation
    Palisade | Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    Everyone has already given you the basic trades here. You mentioned wanting to go as light as possible, so the only other thing I would point out is that we also have a 1.1 poly double-grid ripstop in addition to the 1.0 HyperD. It's relatively new and not a lot of people know it's there.
    Kyle,
    What would be the advantages of the 1.1 Poly Double-grid over the 1.0 HyperD?
    A hanging, though, was something different. I got to thinking. We hadn’t never been to nothing just to have a good time. A hanging was special and we was all getting to go.
    ~ Eddie Whitlock, Evil Is Always Human

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Advantages depend on if you would prefer less stretch. Poly would be the one. It's also a bit more static prone off the start. I really like the feel and give/stretch of the HyperD 1.0. For reference I'm about 180 lbs. I know many heavier members on the forum use it as well. Lots of selection at ripstopbytheroll.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by H2Oboy007 View Post
    Kyle,
    What would be the advantages of the 1.1 Poly Double-grid over the 1.0 HyperD?
    The advantages would be a slightly firmer lay as the poly doesn't stretch as much as the nylon and price ($4.25 poly vs right now $5.95 HyperD uncal 1.0). If nothing else is factoring in, the overwhelming majority of people will prefer the feel of nylon over poly, so I think you should consider that. If you're willing to accept a hit on feel and want to incur the minimal weight penalty, the 1.1 poly is an attractive option.

On the flip side, if you want min weight, exceptional softness, don't mind a little stretch, and you're willing to spend the extra ~$10, the 1.0 HyperD is a winner.
    - Kyle

• + New Posts