Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing/Atlas Strp

Newbie from NY with questions!

Hi All! I'm a college student currently residing in the Hudson Valley NY area and am a bit new to the hammock camping lifestyle but I'm trying to establish a good gear system. When my brother and I first got our hammocks a few summers ago we over-zealously went on an overnight trip on the AT with just our hammocks and sleeping bags which, not surprisingly, turned out to be a disaster. Since then I have purchased some much-needed accessories, including a bug net, a cheap tarp, and a HG Incubator 20* which will hopefully get here soon (I’m sure they’re swamped from the holidays!), and I still plan on using my 20* synthetic sleeping bag on top. I’m trying to winterize my gear without breaking the bank and my budget went about as far as the Incubator. I know I’m lacking on legit gear but my question to you experts is, will I survive a northeast winter hang if I throw in an insulated foam pad and some warm clothes? Mind you, the tarp that I have is a 9x12’ $10 blue tarp until I can afford something better.

As far as testing my gear overnight, I don’t think I’m experienced enough to do a solo trip and I’m seriously lacking outdoorsy friends. I really want to show up at a hang but I first want to make sure I’m not grossly unprepared. Thanks and nice to meet you all!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Winter in a hammock in NY does not require expensive gear. While many (most) on HF will use an UQ in the winter, I use pads. Been to minus 22F. I would not suggest your system would work that low. My point is simply, cold weather NY winters do not require high cost gear. There might be other reasons due to personal preference, but cheap systems do work too. In some aspects better, in others not so. Everything is a tradeoff.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Std Camo
    Insulation
    HG, Quilts, 0 +2oz
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    I'm a newbie also to hammock camping however not to backpacking. I believe the best thing you can do is to try out your gear at home or somewhere you won't be testing yourself unsafely. I can remember testing out a bivy in my best friends yard during a blizzard. That's when I realized a bivy wasn't for me, luckily LL Bean has a great return policy. I bought a down survival suit once from REI, top of the line , bib overalls with a killer jacket, all down and water proofish. Took it out on a long night walk in below 0dF weather and noticed my *** was cold. Went home and looked at the overalls and found they forgot to fill an entire baffle with down. I don't think there is anything inappropriate with using less expensive gear as long as it works, your blue tarp is fine, I wouldn't use because at my age I can (1) afford the hitech gear and (2) I can barely carry my 34L Osprey Pack so I'm looking to shed as much weight just to be able to continue overnite hiking. Testing your gear at home or near home is fun and smart. I bet tonight your gear will be tested to its limits because this AM it was -10 here where I live.

I ran across a video on youtube where I believe a guy hung in -20dF in Minnesota somewhere, I'm not sure what gear he had but it may have been a 20dF incubator. He is very entertaining and helpful at the same time. Here is a link to some of his thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK9oGK2FJck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI_ztvTJfL8

Good luck
    Hanging in Tree's since 2012
    Tent Backpacking since 1974

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Even in warmer areas, you have to test your system and work out the kinks. Back yards are great and parks where you can hang close to your car are just as good. Minor discomfort and some cold issues are to be expected until everything is dialed in, but if you need to retreat to someplace warm to avoid hypothermia, having it 10 steps away is much better than having to hike a distance for safety.

Both of those videos are from Shug, the Hammock Forum cold weather walking encyclopedia. He is referenced in quite a few threads. There are others who have also posted their winter hangs, just drop down to the trip report section and start reading and watching.

Good luck,
    STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Even if you had the best gear money could buy, I'd still recommend practice. Winter camping is dangerous, and you have to know your limitations, and your gear's limitations. Most of the folks at a winter group hang will have experience and appropriate gear, but not necessarily gear for you if you come unprepared.

I did a lot of backyard practice, and bailed out many a night to go back into the warm house.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY winter/summer
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ/TQ
    Images
    Welcome to HF!

A lot would depend on the weather during your overnight. Is it going to be 20F, 10F, or even less? Having lived in mid-Hudson Valley for 20+ years, I know you can get warm spells (45F days, 32F nights) and cold spells (-20F days, -35F nights), and everything in between. There are also a lot of wet-lands there, so humidity (even in winter) needs to be considered. Up in the hills (Shawangunks and/or Catskills), you'll find 5-10 degree drop in temperature, so the light rain at home is now light snow or even ice on the trail.

You have someplace nearby (back yard?) to give it a test night?

...Bob

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Massachusetts. Check out NEHHA. We have a winter group hang coming up this weekend.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing/Atlas Strp
    Thanks for all the advice, it is certainly a learning curve. I have actually watched a bunch of Shug's videos in the past without realizing that he was THE Shug. I definitely need to watch some more of his stuff though. So I tried out my "system" (not sure if I can even call it that at this point) which consisted of a ridgerest pad, cheap blue tarp, 20* Marmot Rockaway bag, a whole bunch of wool clothes and 2 hot water bottles. It was just for a few hours during the day in the woods near my house but the temps hit about 15* with 1* wind chill. I was definitely not warm (nor did I expect to be). I cant wait for my Incubator to get here though so I can confidently do an overnight test! Once I can survive a few nights in my yard I'll definitely head out into the Catskills or the ADKs!

And as far as going to a winter hang-- I did have my eye on the NEHHA one but since my UQ isn't here yet I definitely don't think I'm ready. To everyone going-- have a great time, the weather looks beautiful!

Cheers!

• + New Posts