Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I figure if someone is moving stuff at the head/foot of my hammock, I am going to know about it.
    I like the others hang pack on the head end of my hammock suspension. Funny thing once, I took a friend and his son car camping once to introduce them to hammocks. Sitting around the fire that night we were visited by this boar raccoon. This guy was massive and no real concern for us being masters of nature, men of the wood. So we go to sleep later and I keep feeling this "tug" on the end of my hammock. My mind tells me it's the monster raccoon. I bounce, I make shooing noises. It grows quiet. Ok, he left. Then I felt it again. Again with the bouncing and shooing. It goes quiet again. I lean out and look this time. No raccoon. Good, now to sleep. Five minutes later. He's back. Dangit! Up out of the hammock I go, grab my pack and lock it in the car. Mind calmed. Blissfully sleep insues and all is well. Until the next morning. What do I discover? Like a noob I tied my head end and my friend's foot end to the same tree. Not a terrible thing but the tree was small enough that it transmitted his every toss and turn to my hammock until he settled into his eventual hammock coma.

Oh yea, you'll know about it. For sure.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    MIGS
    Elephant on the night table-gear stowage while sleeping
    My tarp ridge line is pitched under tarp and is 1/8 amsteel. All extra gear stays in almost empty pack attached to tarp ridge line slip knot tied with short cord. Tarp ridge line is as high as I can reach so I can walk under tarp. Pack is high and dry. Also shoes are tied together and hung on tarp line-hoping that no small animal will carry one shoe away. If your shoe is gone then any walk is no fun. Animals might be attracted to your shoes from your scent and food smells on your shoe strings. The only things left on ground are my shower shoes or flip flops. Every one has great ideas.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Entertaining and informative reading.

I hang everything. I do not want something crawling in my shoes or crocks. I once had a slug get in my shoe, never more! Slug goo is very difficult to remove, it almost has to wear off.

After living in the South, I worry about snakes or brown recluse spiders getting into my shoes or gear. I hang things, my crocks go on the end of my hammock. Like many others I am very careful about food and clothing that might have food odors.

We have been surrounded by Ricky Raccoon and pals a lot of pals, nasty customers in large groups. That was in a State Campground next to a stream with a burnt out area next to the park. I have not had the same warm fuzzy feeling about raccoons since. I was beginning to think the coons were ill, they were so aggressive. brought out the dogs and they left immediately, not to return.

I cover everything to keep the night moisture off and make it a bit more difficult for things to get in my gear. I seem to always want to be prepared to make a hasty exit. I want everything packed and ready to go if I need/want to leave in a hurry.

A issue I am having is that I have grown to hate all the stuff that hangs from my hammock and gear. I have been trying to find a way to make my experience less messy, fewer lines dangling, I want things to look neat and tidy while being functional. I just can not seem to find a way to make it happen. My lines go every which way, I have reflective stuff to help me see the lines, however the reflective factor makes thing look even worse. There must be a way to have things be functional and not so much danging lines.

I wonder if some of our group get tangled up in all the stuff they have in/on and attached to their hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    A issue I am having is that I have grown to hate all the stuff that hangs from my hammock and gear. I have been trying to find a way to make my experience less messy, fewer lines dangling, I want things to look neat and tidy while being functional. I just can not seem to find a way to make it happen. My lines go every which way, I have reflective stuff to help me see the lines, however the reflective factor makes thing look even worse. There must be a way to have things be functional and not so much danging lines.
    I saw this the other day. I thought it might solve the concern of which you speak. A neat idea and a pretty simple DIY project:

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/ab...0_0.00_jpg_srz

You can find it on this website under hammock accessories: http://www.keepcalmandhikeon.com/

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Mostly, stuff gets hung from the hammock or tarp, or is hung in the bear bag.

Hiking:

My pack gets hung from the head end of the hammock, under the tarp. It can get wet; it's water resistant and doesn't have anything in it at this point that's going to be bothered by water.

My hiking shirt, underwear, and socks get hung from the hammock ridgeline inside of the bug net (if using it) at the foot end to dry as much as possible. My shoes go under the hammock unless it looks like serious rain; then they get hung from the ridgeline by their laces. My sleep clothing (ranging from a spare set of undies and t-shirt to full long underwear with a fleece, a puffy, an hat, a balaclava, gloves, and thick sleep socks) gets worn.

My quilts are in/on the hammock.

My ditty bag (containing my personal hygiene kit, FAK, firestarter, and any extras I'm bringing) gets hung from the hammock ridgeline to stay dry. As does my hat with headlamp on it. My knife goes there as well. I need to make a ridgeline organizer some time soon; it'll keep things tidier.

My water bottle(s) go(es) on the ground next to the hammock. They're dense enough that they won't be going anywhere on their own.

My pack liner bag goes on the ground next to the hammock with something (usually my water bottle[s]) on top to keep it in place as a "footprint" for the hammock.

My bear bag gets hung, usually a minimum of 100 yards from the hammock. Food, cook kit, and any extras that smell go in it.

That's usually all I'm carrying when I hike. If I'm camping for a longer period, I'll bring my REI chair. That goes on the ground next to the hammock, as shielded by my tarp as possible. I'll sometimes bring my Christmas lights to group hangs; they go on the hammock ridgeline.

Biking:

Biking is the same, except for my pack, bike, and water situations. My handlebar bag goes on the ground under the hammock, same as the pack liner. My bike gets locked to a tree nearby (there's nothing on it that's going to be bothered by rain, save the seat; I use a $0.10 shower cap as a seat cover and vapor barrier for my head when it's cold and raining). My Camelbak bag goes on the head end suspension of the hammock (as it makes it easier to get water out of this way).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I simply leave my pack on the ground under me, on a plastic mat. Everything is easily accessible to me in the hammock. That's a big one. I can't imagine hanging it on my suspension...the weight would bounce too much when I move.

I always camp way off trail, so theft is nearly impossible. Not much worry about bugs getting in my pack since it's always cool and they're not out as much compared to summer. I'm not worried about water flooding under my hammock because why would I pick that location in the first place?

Small items I need during the night go in the WBBB shelf (contact solution, contacts case, headlamp, hat/gloves, iphone)

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've noticed a lot of you hang your pack from the head or foot end of your hammock. Have any of you noticed that it changes the lay of the hang at all by doing this? I, like markr6 above, have some apprehension about hanging my pack on the hammock/suspension as I think it would change the lay and would certainly bounce around during the night as I move. I may have to give this a try anyway just to see as I need a better solution but wanted to see if anyone has ever had a problem doing it this way. Currently I hang my pack on the tree with a pack cover on, some spare clothes in the hammock or on the ridgeline and my food in a bear bag away from camp. I've gotten sap on the pack a few times this way though and want a different method.

Full disclosure, I have a tremendously heavy pack (modified ALICE Pack) that weighs almost 9 pounds empty. I know, I know, it's crazy heavy and I intend to upgrade to a lighter pack soon but I've had it forever and it still functions and, most importantly, my money has been going to underquilts and other hammock gear first... Maybe with a lighter pack there wouldn't be any concern. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I only tried it once. My pack always has some gear in it overnight (stove, toiletries, saw, etc) so we're talking 5+ lbs. When I move in the hammock, it bobs and moves....and moves....and swings....and swings. Very annoying. I also like a nice clean camp, so everything stays in the pack except for the food.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've noticed a lot of you hang your pack from the head or foot end of your hammock. Have any of you noticed that it changes the lay of the hang at all by doing this? I, like markr6 above, have some apprehension about hanging my pack on the hammock/suspension as I think it would change the lay and would certainly bounce around during the night as I move. I may have to give this a try anyway just to see as I need a better solution but wanted to see if anyone has ever had a problem doing it this way. Currently I hang my pack on the tree with a pack cover on, some spare clothes in the hammock or on the ridgeline and my food in a bear bag away from camp. I've gotten sap on the pack a few times this way though and want a different method.

Full disclosure, I have a tremendously heavy pack (modified ALICE Pack) that weighs almost 9 pounds empty. I know, I know, it's crazy heavy and I intend to upgrade to a lighter pack soon but I've had it forever and it still functions and, most importantly, my money has been going to underquilts and other hammock gear first... Maybe with a lighter pack there wouldn't be any concern. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Your going to need separate suspension for that monster pack.

Kidding, I don't notice my pack bouncing around. Always hang from head end. Food will not be in pack so less than 10# would be hanging. All I can say is try it and see how you like it. Main reason I keep mine suspended is fire ants here. Them critters build a nest in anything.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    The most weight I have hanging from my hammock suspension is ~8 lbs (3 L of water and a ~1.5 lb Camelbak holder). I've never noticed a significant difference in the hang of my hammock--when I hang it from the head end (hanging it from the foot end lowers the foot end somewhat, causing a slightly different lie--not enough that I've noticed a difference in comfort, though).

Normally, I've got somewhere in the range of 2-4 lbs on the suspension outside the hammock. That's a ~2 lb pack and anything I've got in it (which ain't much by that point).
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast