Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I carry a half-sized Weight Weenie Micro hammock as a gear sling / chair. (98 grams) At night, my gear goes in the gear sling which is suspended from the same trees, but staked out beside me with a little glowwire tied to the continuous loops. This fits under the tarp, so it keeps the gear dry, and handy.

Rather than carrying two full suspensions capable of holding me, I have one full strength (and weight) suspension for chair mode or my hammock, and one made totally of lash-it for the gear sling. (34 grams for suspension, glow-wire to stake it out, and drip strips.) The extra stake for it is about 6 grams.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    I use a bear bag for my food and hang that away from me. I use polycryo for a small ground sheet and put my pack on it which also has a pack cover on it. I then put my shoes in a plastic grocery bag.
    My gear load
    lighterpack.com/r/o9iaf

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've noticed a lot of you hang your pack from the head or foot end of your hammock. Have any of you noticed that it changes the lay of the hang at all by doing this? I, like markr6 above, have some apprehension about hanging my pack on the hammock/suspension as I think it would change the lay and would certainly bounce around during the night as I move. I may have to give this a try anyway just to see as I need a better solution but wanted to see if anyone has ever had a problem doing it this way. Currently I hang my pack on the tree with a pack cover on, some spare clothes in the hammock or on the ridgeline and my food in a bear bag away from camp. I've gotten sap on the pack a few times this way though and want a different method.

Full disclosure, I have a tremendously heavy pack (modified ALICE Pack) that weighs almost 9 pounds empty. I know, I know, it's crazy heavy and I intend to upgrade to a lighter pack soon but I've had it forever and it still functions and, most importantly, my money has been going to underquilts and other hammock gear first... Maybe with a lighter pack there wouldn't be any concern. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    My solution uses some of that spare line we all carry. A short piece between two trees and the pack hangs covered suspended between two nearby trees. Mice don't get into anything, and you don't find it in two inches of water if it rains. Also no tree sap from being in direct contact with trees. I can toss and turn all night and it doesn't bounce around.😅
    A canoe or trike to do most of the hauling.
    A hammock to take away the bumps at night.
    Now that's the way to go.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Migs View Post
    Friends:

I'm sure many of you have worried about this topic. I call it the "Elephant on the night table" because it is latent and begs a brilliant solution:

How do you secure your clothing, pack shoes etc. when you go to sleep at night in your hammock? I always have this fear that in the morning something will be missing. In a tent you can put most of your gear inside where it is safe with you.

What are your thoughts?

Migs
    I have a tarp I put under the hammock. My boots are usually on that, as is my pack. I do a lot of camping with the boy scouts, and it invariably rains. I've never had any problems with losing equipment or getting it wet (unless I put it too far from the center of the tarp).
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

I bring an X-Large Ziploc baggie which helps in several ways. As you pull things out of your pack, you can place things you don't need immediately, inside. This allows you to visually see everything and able to find stuff much more easily throughout your trip. It is waterproof. It adds negligible weight to your pack but is extremely handy. This would obviously be something you keep just under your hammock.
    Last edited by zip-tyducttape; 01-21-2016 at 16:11.

Hammock
    Currently WBRR
    Tarp
    WB CB
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Everything secured; in hanging pack or hammock/tent, hanging on tree or suspension. Once saw a coyote carrying a boot!

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314