Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Sil
    Insulation
    CCF / Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Fixed

1.0 Hyper D or 1.1 Nylon?

Hey Folks,

Right now I've got a 1.9 ripstop gathered end that is awesome, but I'm thinking about making another, lighter hammock.

So, who has a hammock made from the 1.0 Hyper D or 1.1 ripstop? The 1.9 doesn't stretch much, but it does have some stretch. The Hyper D claims to be stronger than traditional ripstop, I'm assuming it and the 1.1 ripstop will both stretch more than the 1.9, but is it significant? I'm hesitant to make a hammock out of such lightweight fabric; my fear is that something in my pocket will somehow cut it in the middle of the night and I'll have a rude awakening... Granted it hasn't happened yet, nor to I usually sleep with random objects in my pockets, but hey, it could happen.

Hammock
    DIY Hyper D 1.1 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I absolutely LOVE the 1.0 HyperD. I have argon, HyperD 1.6, HyperD 1.0, 1.1 conventional and my favorite is the HyperD 1.0

Hammock
    Sheltowee; DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    WLSS: Jarbidge
    Images
    I have made and slept in both 1.9 and 1.1 ripstop hammocks. I haven't had a chance to make or try out a hammock in HyperD 1.0
    As a 6', 165lb person, I can feel a difference in stretch between the 1.9 and 1.1. I have never felt like I'm going to fall through the 1.1, but you can tell it is a thinner fabric when you lay in it. I enjoy the feeling of both. Sometimes I want a firmer hammock, sometimes a stretchier one.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm 5'4" / ~135lbs - I have a 1.9oz single layer DIY hammock that I like a lot. I also made single layer hammocks from 1.6oz HyperD, 1.6oz Argon and 1.4oz PolyD. The 1.6oz Argon hammock has too much stretch for me. The 1.6oz HyperD has less stretch, but still to much for my taste. The 1.4oz PolyD works for me, but I don't think I could go any lighter with a single layer. I would probably prefer a 1.6oz or heavier PolyD.

If you like stretch, you'll probably be fine with 1.0oz HyperD. I wouldn't use 1.1oz ripstop because it's supposedly weaker than the HyperD. If you prefer hammocks with more support, stay with the heavier fabrics.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Sil
    Insulation
    CCF / Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    If you prefer hammocks with more support, stay with the heavier fabrics.
    That's the thing, I've never been in any other hammock than my 1.9 single layer. I'll give the 1.0 HyperD a shot, worst case scenario, I gift it to a ground sleeper. lol However, I do expect a certain amount of suck when in the outdoors, so if it's not the most comfortable thing in the world I'll probably live with it.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I just finished a 12' 1.2 PolyD hammock. Very, very little stretch. Nice and firm overall and pretty light to boot. I weight 175 and I'm perfectly confident in the fabric to hold me.

PolyD is a great alternative to heavier fabrics for those that like a firmer hammock.

I love the lighter nylons, but they just make it so much harder to get out of because of the stretch.

As always this is just my opinion and YMMV.
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

• + New Posts