Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I've never gotten wet under my hex tarp. I've used it for several years and been out in a couple decent storms including one on the shore of Lake Superior with the wind coming off the lake. The hex is a 11' true hex with cat cuts. I recently made a winter tarp but that is only for better wind protection in colder weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I've never gotten wet under my hex tarp.
    This is a super valuable datapoint. I was going to ask about the width of your tarp, but then see you say it is a perfect hexagon.
    So I take it the ridgeline length is 132 inches (11 feet), which makes the side width 57 inches according to my calculations,
    i.e. you use the full 60 inch width of silnylon and loose some to hems.

Thanks!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Tom View Post
    This is a super valuable datapoint. I was going to ask about the width of your tarp, but then see you say it is a perfect hexagon.
    So I take it the ridgeline length is 132 inches (11 feet), which makes the side width 57 inches according to my calculations,
    i.e. you use the full 60 inch width of silnylon and loose some to hems.

Thanks!
    Basically, and I did 5.5" cat cuts, but you probably don't need them that deep.

Well, the corners aren't doing much to protect you from the rain since the hammock is narrower at the ends anyway and need a lot less protection. They are higher and closer to the tarp as well.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about a standard sized hex tarp in warmish weather (above 40* F; below that, having the ability to close your ends against the wind becomes valuable, though a sock can do a lot). Take a look at the Wilderness Logics Tadpole or the Warbonnet Edge for what I consider sufficient for an 11' hammock. Both are more than big enough to keep one dry, even in blowing rain.

Personally, I'm good with an asym tarp that (proportionately) is smaller than the Hennessy tarp...so much so, that--combined with my undercover/poncho--it kept me dry in testing during the edge of a tropical storm back in '12. Note that local winds never exceeded 40 MPH, and that I was doing this ~15 feet from my front door--I would [i]never[i] advise anyone to go out into the woods during a tropical storm. My only issue was the whipping ends of the hammock sliding out from under the tarp's coverage, causing water intrusion through the whipping ends. I've since fixed this with the use of S-biners (thank you, Black Wolf, for the idea).

However, that tarp doesn't give me enough coverage to do anything but lie in the hammock. I can't really cook under it, hang out with friends, or push the hammock out of the way to use a camp chair. It's really only for covering the hammock, and it needs to be right on the hammock's ridgeline to work in any kind of blowing rain.

So, yes, an hex tarp is definitely doable. As is a down quilt for anyone with nominal sewing skills. The trick with both is to plan things out, measure twice, and double-check everything before setting scissors--let alone needle--to fabric. 99% of gear-making skill is in the planning phase.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Here is a link to a tarp I built. It was very easy. I explain how I did the cat cuts. Everyone makes it sound so complex( hanging string, etc.). If you can take a piece of 1/2 round moulding and hold it at your two points(you may need someone to help) then just bend it to your depth and trace. It doesn't get any easier. Hope this helps.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=blackcat+tarp
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12