Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle

Suggestions for Solo Camping/Hiking trip with Fishing in West or SW February 19th?

Seeking suggestions for a solo camping/hiking trip into the West or Southest the week of February 19. I'll be going solo and live in Chicago. I'll fly in and figure out how to get to where I need to go. I've planned for a week start to finish. I've been fishing for years but only catching for a year. Hoping to hike some lovely loop where I can camp and fish. I don't have serious needs--I've basically only ever caught bluegill and catfish. I 'd like to catch something I can eat this time, too. I'm really flexible about where I go as long as the plane tickets don't break me--and I'm easily broken--and it's not too cold. This is my first real solo trip, but I've been camping a dozen times.

Any advice, because I have no idea how to figure out a good place to fish AND camp out west.

Thanks!
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    DIY 11.5" 1.9oz ACU Digital Hammock
    Tarp
    MACCAT Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 20F UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    What type of fishing (i.e. Stream, river, lake, ocean?)
    Being that you're from Chicago what's too cold?
    I love the eastern & western sierras but its better spring through fall. Mostly snow covered in all our mountains right now. I know sections of the Owens river are open this time of year, but eastern sierras have fishing seasons for certain areas. You just need to confirm they're open. Contact local ranger stations (i.e. Lone pine, bishop, mammoth). I know the walker river has really good fishing, but I've never been up their so Im unfamiliar with the area and if fishing season is year round.
    Just a few thoughts... Sorry for the rambling!

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    I appreciate your response. I've only ever fished in ponds and small lakes and don't really know how to fish moving water. Flexible, though. Love the idea of creek and stream fishing. I am from Chicago, but I could do without the cold. I plan to be out for about 5 days. That's a long time to be in the cold or trudge through snow. I would LOVE to get up to the Sierras, but I'm going for my birthday, so February it is. I knew the West was kind of out of my temperature range, but I visited relatives in Colorado Springs for Thanksgiving and it set me to fantasizing! Really appreciate your thoughts. And plan to get out west again this year or next. Thanks again!
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Kind of tough this time a year with the snow and your desire for not too cold- Lone Pine, CA might be a good option or another thought is Sedona, AZ.
    If it were me- I would fly into Vegas, rent a jeep and head up into Southern Utah- 3-4 hours from the airport depending on where you go. You will have some cold for sure but the beauty, ruggedness and chance to get away from it all is worth the price of admission.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5" 1.9oz ACU Digital Hammock
    Tarp
    MACCAT Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 20F UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just saw this post. Looks like a lot of fun but I know nothing of the area. You could pm the OP. I think rivers and creeks are easier to fish and you can cover a lot more area (fish cant hide from you!) Just an idea.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Fishing regs - many areas close to fishing in November and don't open til April. Check the California DFG website to get a license and read up on the regs.

If you are trout fishing, if you can see them, they can see you - you won't catch trout that see you. Rivers and creeks are harder - your pole and line get snagged in willows or reeds. Lakes are easier and more likely to be open for legal fishing.

You'll be SOL for places that aren't snow camping. There's not much snow, but there's enough of it - and plenty of ice.

I'll be fishing again come spring.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Quote Originally Posted by signguy View Post
    Kind of tough this time a year with the snow and your desire for not too cold- Lone Pine, CA might be a good option or another thought is Sedona, AZ.
    If it were me- I would fly into Vegas, rent a jeep and head up into Southern Utah- 3-4 hours from the airport depending on where you go. You will have some cold for sure but the beauty, ruggedness and chance to get away from it all is worth the price of admission.
    This.

And tickets from ORD>LAS are like $200. Utah's fishing and hunting permits are cheap too, including non-res. You'd have to do some research on the DNR web site to see what bodies are open and maybe let that drive where you camp. Northern Utah is already ice fishing.

If you don't have experience traversing snow, and especially since you'll be alone, please stay away from alpine/snow camping. Our Sierras and Cascades can be unforgiving and cruel mistresses. And you won't need special gear like snowshoes or skis to get anywhere! But Zion and Bryce (8000'?) can get below 0 at night and do have their share of winter storms so pack accordingly. Grand Canyon would be a great primary choice and then tentatively plan on Bryce+Zion if the weather is good.

Edit:On a side note, if you hate cold, but can handle rain just fine, consider the Oregon coast. It'll never* go below freezing and the weather is fairly moderate. The most scenic skies along the OR coast are found around March, you just might get sideways rain an hour later for 30 minutes, then clears up again. Surf fish off the beach in the morning, hit up one of the many awesome micros, fill a growler, then set up camp near the beach (I assume you're hammocking) or ON the beach since all of OR's coastline is technically a state park. Then get in some evening fishing. And for a real treat, around this time of year (at least in the Sound), you might be able to pull some squid at the docks at night. Super easy to clean and grill over questionably carcinogenic green-flame drift wood.

This is where I got my travel/camping surf rod: http://www.psfishing.com/rods.html
    Last edited by Montexan; 01-08-2015 at 12:53.

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Nothing beats a hammock and a growler or better said a growler and then a hammock.

Can't go wrong with Oregon or Utah but I would do Utah- it will be virtually empty that time of year, good chance of decent weather, and you can do a day or two in Vegas (think buffet) after a few days in the hinterlands.

I'll be in Utah in March for a few days- probably do two days at 8k and then snow shoe up high for a few days.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Thanks for commenting. I'm sorry for not responding sooner. A lot going on! I'm going to think about your idea. I'm not afraid of the cold. But I don't want to be in 30 degree weather everyday and especially don't want to be in snow for a week. Let me check on weather. Thanks again.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Thanks forthe heads up on fishing regs, lori! Hadn't thought of that. would hate to plan around it and then can't do it!
    - Jack Handey

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast