DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Oneal View Post
    No...the left side is never the right side... unless you are looking from the out side...

...anyway...is it comfortable to lay the way you are laying? I've slept about 10 different ways (including my favourite, face down) in a HH...all of which were correct...because I was comfortable.

It's all good in a hammock! That would be an interesting thread: "Picture of the weirdest / most comfy sleeping position in a hammock" or "Picture: only in a hammock..."

I think the stock tarp a-symmetry and SuperShelter pad force a certain orientation, though, when you button everything up for cold winter weather or rain. This goes away if you replace the tarp and/or add a UQ.

I knew I would find a thread about this. Great that so many of you find any direction works. That's how I thought it was (have been looking at lots of videos...) and I was a little dismayed by the the instructions on the bag. But it sounds like I can just test until I can find the best position for me.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Head or feet next to the zipper. Doesn’t matter. Keltie at HH says no issue or concern about the zipper or seams.

Odd though Hennessy give so explicit directions. Zipper to the right, head to the left, feet to the right. Maybe it's meant just as an example of how to lie diagonally.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTracks View Post
    Odd though Hennessy give so explicit directions. Zipper to the right, head to the left, feet to the right. Maybe it's meant just as an example of how to lie diagonally.
    I think the explicit instructions might be a left over from the bottom entry days. With mine, I doubt it would work correctly if I did other than sitting down and then putting head left and feet right. And of course there was no zipper to be concerned about.

With no bottom entry, I'm not sure it matters which end your head ends up in, or whether the zipper is to my right right or left shoulder. I have ended up with my left shoulder next to the zipper, and feet to the right. I don't remember why, seems like the net seemed to stay off of my face better that way. But I'm not sure it matters much. Whatever seems comfortable!

There's also a bit about centering the left side tie-out between one's shoulder and elbow. Maybe there's some advantage in lying with your body between the tie-out points?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I think the explicit instructions might be a left over from the bottom entry days. With mine, I doubt it would work correctly if I did other than sitting down and then putting head left and feet right. And of course there was no zipper to be concerned about.

With no bottom entry, I'm not sure it matters which end your head ends up in, or whether the zipper is to my right right or left shoulder. I have ended up with my left shoulder next to the zipper, and feet to the right. I don't remember why, seems like the net seemed to stay off of my face better that way. But I'm not sure it matters much. Whatever seems comfortable!
    I went from sitting to laying toward my left, but that’s probably because that’s the same way I lay on “my” side of the bed at home. Saw some posts and called because, otherwise, I have no idea what I’m doing. First hammock. Waiting on quilts to try my first night of sleep.

Images
    There's also a bit about centering the left side tie-out between one's shoulder and elbow. Maybe there's some advantage in lying with your body between the tie-out points?
    I need to pay more attention to that and see if it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    I went from sitting to laying toward my left, but that’s probably because that’s the same way I lay on “my” side of the bed at home. Saw some posts and called because, otherwise, I have no idea what I’m doing. First hammock. Waiting on quilts to try my first night of sleep.
    I always have to put my head on the same end of the hammock- with the zipper to my left- since I am using the HH Super Shelter( and have for 12 years! ) and it's pad has a definite head end. Yes, I could remove it, but that is too much trouble.

But, I switched so that with the zipper still left, my head was right and feet left. And as I remembered, the net - or more the hammock's wall where it joins the net- was a bit more in my face. There seemed to be less tendency for calf ridge- or it was hitting me in a place not as bothersome anyway- but a bit more tendency to knee hyperextension. Either was doable, but I still preferred zipper left, head left, feet right. Head left, feet right was always how I positioned with my bottom entry model, and that seems to be the same way I prefer to go in the zip model.

I often do not have calf ridge with the HH Explorer UL, but it appears I have to be positioned exactly right because sometimes I do have it. Today, unlike recent days, I seemed to be getting enough to be irritating and was having trouble finding the sweet spot. There really are no GEs that I am guaranteed to not have this problem at least sometimes, though some are much more prone to it than others. But then I remembered a little trick that makes all GEs more or less the same comfort wise, for me. I just pulled out my little trash bag, tied off one end trapping some air inside, stuffed it into the large compression stuff sack that I carry this HH in, and slid it under my knees. Ah, yes, sweet luxury! Calf ridge now zero, and feet in a much better position than normal, not even touching the side of the hammock. This trick(reminded of this trick by Lev's special version if it, thanks Lev!) solves a boatload of problems, and reduces many comfort differences between most hammocks to about nothing.. Since even a hammock or bed with no calf ridge or knee extension can have comfort increased with a knee pillow(reduces stress on lower back, feet might be more comfy, side position can be improved with pillow between thighs), I should probably just always do this in any hammock. Unless the problem is shoulder squeeze, probably won't help that.

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    Same here. Except I haven't even sat in mine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I think the explicit instructions might be a left over from the bottom entry days.
    I don't think so, because the main reference point is the zip. It must have to do with the tie-outs.

Well, it's good so many long time users don't think it matters. I'm a little picky with directions when it comes to sleeping. Sleep on my right side, want to have a view if possible and entrance towards the view of course. Seems a lot easier if one can lie in any direction.

Images
    I think the explicit instructions might be a left over from the bottom entry days.

I don't think so, because the main reference point is the zip. It must have to do with the tie-outs.

Well, it's good so many long time users don't think it matters. I'm a little picky with directions when it comes to sleeping. Sleep on my right side, want to have a view if possible and entrance towards the view of course. Seems a lot easier if one can lie in any direction.
    Excellent point. I was thinking about the instructions on the stuff sack with my first one(bottom entry) 12 years ago. I probably never even looked at the instructions o the zip models I got later, and since mine have HH Super Shelters installed on them, I don't use the sacks they came in anyway so I never see them. But, I just went and looked at the sack for my bottom entry Safari, and it doesn't say a word bout how to lay in it. So I don't know where I got the original directions "head right, feet left", maybe from their web site?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast