Tarp
    Hennessy or 9x9DD
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    original
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginyaker View Post
    I believe that cord is for holding a pad in place if need be. i use the o-ring as a ref point on my shoulder position. The text book on this is to have the o-ring between your shoulder and your elbow. i find it most comfortable close to my elbow which requires about a 6 inch lift on the foot end.
    If your talking about the thin bungee cord on the O ring with a glove hook on the other end, that is to pull up and over the bug net and then clips to the outside O ring to hold the netting out of the way. Don't feel bad most of us here had questioned it's purpose when we saw it. That said, I have never got into mine with the zipper on my right. I'll have to do that and see how the lay feels.
    “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Dutch Argon/HH Exp. Zip
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I had asked myself the same questions. Concerning the lay, I have tried it both ways with no problems. My way of thinking is that the zipper on the right or left question does not really matter much. If you have the org. model with the bottom entry the head/foot issue is decided for you. With the zip there appears to be no big difference on what you decide apart from the little mitten hook and cord that so many of us have said "HUH?" about.

I do find the ridge line a bit of a 'pain' when sitting in the hammock. To have such big problems in a little world.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal View Post
    I had asked myself the same questions. Concerning the lay, I have tried it both ways with no problems. My way of thinking is that the zipper on the right or left question does not really matter much. If you have the org. model with the bottom entry the head/foot issue is decided for you. With the zip there appears to be no big difference on what you decide apart from the little mitten hook and cord that so many of us have said "HUH?" about.
    I'd politely disagree. It matters because it provides flexibility that some other integrated hammocks don't possess. Zip left allows for comfortable left-side sleeping, and much less comfortable right-side sleeping. Zip right allows for comfortable right-side sleeping, and much less comfortable left-side sleeping. The asym tie-outs help in this regard, as you can lay either way and still have a tie-out by your face. For people who predominantly sleep on one of their sides it makes the Hennessey hammock much more universal than a Blackbird, for instance, where the shelf, footbox, and both tie-outs positioned at the head end really force a certain orientation of your body. When you buy a Blackbird you need to pick which lay you want. I don't recall that option for the HH, and perhaps it's precisely because it can be comfortably used in either direction.

That universal lay makes up some for how inconvenient the stock suspension is. If it turns out you set up your head end a little higher than your foot end and you're sliding into one side of the hammock when you sleep, you can always turn around in the hammock and put your head at the other end. It sure beats re-lashing the suspension if you're following Tom's stock instructions. Turning around at night isn't something I can do comfortably in the Blackbird. I love the WB shelf and footbox, but there is a price to pay for having them.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I slept in the HH Exp last night and need to amend some of what I said in the post above. To be frank, I didn't notice much of a difference in comfort facing left or right (on my side) in the zipper left orientation. Both were pretty comfortable, and I imagine you could pretty comfortably side sleep in any of four orientations (zipper right or left, facing right or left). There is probably a direction to face that is most comfortable in any given zipper orientation, and in one direction it was a little harder to find a place to put my arm, but the differences are more nuanced than I thought when I wrote the last post.

That said, it just further makes the case that the HH Exp is more universal than the BB, where you only have one particular side sleeping orientation that really feels right.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon/HH Exp. Zip
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    No doubt the HH product line is very well thought out and proven. I had to laugh at myself with this thread because, not sure that I read the instructions on the bag. I had seen the videos and was anxious to get the thing hanging. Was comfortable so never looked back.

It was nice a while back when Dutch took the time to recognize Tom Hennessy and others for their outstanding work.

FYI! Recently set my HH up at work to give a demo to some co-workers complaining about 'ground dwelling' as they get older. Everyone was amazed with the comfort of the HH. Sounds like a few are going to join the crowd.

Happy Hanging!!!

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm thinking a possible rationale is that with zip right feet right, most of your body weight is away from the zip, putting less strain on it opening and closing ?

But if you email Kelty at Hennessy, she will most likely get back quick with the explanation.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images

HH extra hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    I have yet to figure out what all the extra O-rings, and mitten hooks connected by a length of shock cord are for that come inside the hammock. The ridgeline organizer and mitten hooks on the ridgeline are easy to figure out, but there are a couple other attachment points and pieces of hardware that leave me scratching my head.
    The O-rings with toggles about half way down are where you mount the under pad for the SuperShelter.
    For me, the left side is around my left kindey or so and the right side one is mid-calf or so.

The shock cord and mitten hooks pull out the sides of the main hammock and attach to the tarp in order to keep it snugged up.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman_atl View Post
    The shock cord and mitten hooks pull out the sides of the main hammock and attach to the tarp in order to keep it snugged up.
    The shock cord and mitten hook arrangement I was referencing is inside the hammock, by the tie-out for the tarp at the official head end (i.e. opposite side from zipper). It'd need to go through the bug net to attach to the tarp. My best guess was that you could loop it over the ridgeline and hook it back to its O-ring to keep the bug net off your face. The suggestion that it is to circle a pad sounds better than what I came up with, but it'd be inelegant so I'm still not entirely convinced of its intended purpose.

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I got an answer direct from Hennessy several months ago.

There are 2 variants.

One is 2 o-rings, one at each tie out, on the inside. Thats for attaching the pad.

Second is the o-ring with shock cord and mitten hook. Thats for looping over the bugnet to get it out of the way when desired.

Hammock
    SLD's 12' Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Hand-sewn 12ft-er
    Insulation
    Hand-sewn down
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADGUNNER View Post
    I have been using it so that the zipper entrance would be on my LEFT side as I lay in the Hammock, Is this RIGHT?
    No...the left side is never the right side... unless you are looking from the out side...

...anyway...is it comfortable to lay the way you are laying? I've slept about 10 different ways (including my favourite, face down) in a HH...all of which were correct...because I was comfortable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast