Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silnylon: What weight & breathability?

Hello all,

I'm about to bite the bullet and start buying the various components for my first hammock build.

I'm going for a ripstop nylon as, from what I've read on the forum so far, it offers the greatest strength for the least weight whilst still being elastic enough to withstand plenty of movement/stress.

However, before I commit my hard earned cash, there are a few things that I really need help to understand:

1. I weigh 82kg/180lbs. What weight of fabric should I shoot for? 1.1, 1.5, 1.9? Does a DL 1.1 = a SL 2.4? I can't find any breaking loads listed for these materials.

2. Is breathable or non-breathable preferable? I'll be using my existing Neoair Xtherm inflatable pad and full sleeping bag instead of a TQ to keep costs down for the time being. I've read about "sweat-pooling" being a problem. Given that my pad is non-breathable, should I go for a non-breathable silnylon?

I'm a total noob to most of these concepts having only just started looking at hammocks about a week ago.

I'm leaning towards this Multicam fabric at RBTR but would really appreciate some advice from you guys!!

Thanks!

LOMAX
    Last edited by LOMAX; 01-02-2015 at 18:53.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    1. I prefer around 1.6 while weighing about 95, but I've hung with CraigE on here who swears by 1.1 while weighing more than I do. Personal preference really.

2. Definitely breathable. While the pad will be a barrier to sweat anyway the slipperyness of silnylon will be a nightmare on a pad.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    You won't want to use silnylon to make your hammock. If you're ordering from RBTR I would recommend the HyperD fabric. The 1.0 will definitely work for you at your weight, but I weigh 190-195 and feel safer in the 1.6.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    1. I prefer around 1.6 while weighing about 95, but I've hung with CraigE on here who swears by 1.1 while weighing more than I do. Personal preference really.

2. Definitely breathable. While the pad will be a barrier to sweat anyway the slipperyness of silnylon will be a nightmare on a pad.
    You calling me fat? the 1.1 from rsbtr is fantastic, but the 1.0 HyperD is even better. Less stretch and looks really cool! I weighed 230ish before Xmas

+1 on using breathable fabric.

Many people who use pads prefer dl hammocks to help prevent the pad popping out from underneath you.

If you haven't tried a hammock before then it may be worth trying a couple different fabrics to find out how stretchy and what length/width you like your hammock.

This is exactly why I registered - great advice already!

I wasn't even close to considering HyperD. Stronger, lighter and cheaper - Isn't that breaking the first law of ultralight?

craige - I have a cunning and revolutionary idea to avoid using a DBL but still keep the pad in place. All will be revealed in due course.

Right, so now I'm going to order some 1.0 oz HyperD Ripstop. Unless anyone else can convince me otherwise...

LOMAX

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Have you seen Dream Hammock's comfort chart?

I would also recommend ordering more than just one fabric and make a couple of different hammocks. I find that different fabrics make for very different lays. My favorite fabric for a single layer hammock would either by Dutch's 1.4oz PolyD (it has a supremely flat lay) or Ripstopbytheroll's 1.9oz ripstop. The latter one feels less stretchy than the 1.6oz HyperD.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Silnylon in our purpose is only for tarps and bags. UQ, hammock needs to breath. I can highly recommend 1.2 or 1.4 PolyD from dutch as well as 1.6 Argon.
    Single layer is fine unless you are over 230. Do the knotty mod. It's well worth the 15 minutes it adds to the project time.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by LOMAX View Post
    Hello all,

I'm about to bite the bullet and start buying the various components for my first hammock build.

I'm going for a ripstop nylon as, from what I've read on the forum so far, it offers the greatest strength for the least weight whilst still being elastic enough to withstand plenty of movement/stress.

However, before I commit my hard earned cash, there are a few things that I really need help to understand:

1. I weigh 82kg/180lbs. What weight of fabric should I shoot for? 1.1, 1.5, 1.9? Does a DL 1.1 = a SL 2.4? I can't find any breaking loads listed for these materials.

2. Is breathable or non-breathable preferable? I'll be using my existing Neoair Xtherm inflatable pad and full sleeping bag instead of a TQ to keep costs down for the time being. I've read about "sweat-pooling" being a problem. Given that my pad is non-breathable, should I go for a non-breathable silnylon?

I'm a total noob to most of these concepts having only just started looking at hammocks about a week ago.

I'm leaning towards this Multicam fabric at RBTR but would really appreciate some advice from you guys!!

Thanks!

LOMAX
    For your weight, there is really no need to go heavier than 1.6 oz fabric. If you're looking to save as much weight as possible and don't mind a little stretch, go with the 1.0 HyperD. The softness of that fabric also can't be beat. If you want a slightly firmer lay and you're willing to sacrifice a little feel, you can use our 1.1 oz double-grid poly ripstop. Compared to other poly options this offers the smallest weight penalty. I say "sacrifice a little feel" because polyester feels a lot different than high-quality nylon like the HyperD fabrics. If you're looking for the softest hand feel, I would stick with nylon.

All that being said, you mentioned the Multicam sil, so you may just want to go with the 1.1 oz Intruder Multicam uncalendered if you're looking to make a Multicam hammock. You are more than OK at your weight and that is the lightest Multicam in existence .
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    That's very useful, thanks hutzelbein!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    Do the knotty mod. It's well worth the 15 minutes it adds to the project time.
    Hi Thumbs, what is the knotty mod? I've been trying to search for something about it on the forum to no avail!

Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    If you're looking to save as much weight as possible and don't mind a little stretch, go with the 1.0 HyperD.
    Hi Kyle, I think I'll save the Multicam for a stealth tarp project and go for the 1.0 HyperD. I've just placed an order. Can you recommend what kind of thread I should be using to stitch the hems and gathered end with this material?

LOMAX

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LOMAX View Post
    Hi Thumbs, what is the knotty mod? I've been trying to search for something about it on the forum to no avail!
    Here you go: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...h-Side-Hammock

The mod helps with floppy sides, if that's a problem for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast