Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by revsbentley View Post
    Plus, I dont have to worry about the "Hepta"(sp?) virus. (That you get from breathing in the dust of mouse droppings)
    Hantavirus is what you're looking for there. I'm not generally a germ-a-phobe, but knowing a fatal rodent-borne virus is a risk messes with my precarious ability to sleep well on the ground when the critters are ever-present, bold from habituation, and rustling around (and over) me all night long.

At Hawk Mtn Shelter, the FIRST shelter north of the start of the AT (which means Day 2 for hikers if they slept at Springer Mtn) I heard not one, but two horror stories from people about mice on their first night on the trail. One guy was in a tent and forgot to hang his dog food. Apparently he was stampeded, over, under and through his tent in the middle of the night. Another group said they brushed off the warning to keep food out of the shelter. In both cases the people exaggerated a plague of "hundreds" of mice descending on them once it got dark. Even if hundreds really means seven, no thanks! A single mouse running back and forth over me during the night is a big enough distraction already.

TL;DR: Take the rodent warnings on the AT seriously.

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    As has been said; comfort over all, better setup options, no need to stay in shelter, and no rodents or other wildlife scuttling about you at night. In TX we have different critters to worry about at night. Scorpions and rattlesnakes are attracted to warmth, so if you're the warmest thing around.... But since you asked specifically about the AT, then, no mice especially to worry about. Those little critters have been bad on the AT since I first started hiking it as a teen back in the early 70s. Everyone worries about bears, but the biggest threat to your food stash is mice, squirrels, chipmunks and birds. Though birds not so much if it's not crumbs on the ground. I had a buddy back then who packed in some bird seed in a quadruple layer of baggies, and used to open up, and spread some a couple hundred feet from the campsite. Worked OK for a while, but inevitably the mice would venture closer.

So, advantages to hammocks on the AT, just about everything.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow (Double)
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 Burr 0
    Suspension
    1 inch Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
    Short answer YES. That's why I picked the hammock for my thru this Spring
    Speakeasy, not sure if you have experience with the AT but I hope you have a great trip. I have done a long section beginnig at Fontana Dam and continuing through Duncannon, PA. While most areas are beautiful, enjoy my favorite place so far which is the Mt. Rogers Recreation Area. I have actually hiked this area twice I enjoyed it so much. The wild horses are not afraid you and will often come very close.
    I'll also warn you that the last shelter as you leave the park is where I was over run with mice and the racoon I mentioned in an earlier. However, you can have a pizza delivered to the Park Entrance. By the time you get there you'll be able to eat a whole one with no problem and still lose weight. Enjoy your trip and I hope you find what you are looking for on the trail. I did.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 Burr 0
    Suspension
    1 inch Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
    Everyone worries about bears, but the biggest threat to your food stash is mice, squirrels, chipmunks and birds.
    Lostagain, I have found the same thing. I have hiked both the Smokey Mountain section and the Shenandoah Park and except for the stuffed Bear at the Mr. Rogers Museum I never saw a Bear. I knew they were there as their favorite place to poop was the middle of the trail but I never saw one. I did have several deer walk right up to me about two weeks before hunting season. I'm assuming they didn't make into the new year.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac/Owyhee
    Quote Originally Posted by revsbentley View Post
    Speakeasy, not sure if you have experience with the AT but I hope you have a great trip. I have done a long section beginnig at Fontana Dam and continuing through Duncannon, PA. While most areas are beautiful, enjoy my favorite place so far which is the Mt. Rogers Recreation Area. I have actually hiked this area twice I enjoyed it so much. The wild horses are not afraid you and will often come very close.
    I'll also warn you that the last shelter as you leave the park is where I was over run with mice and the racoon I mentioned in an earlier. However, you can have a pizza delivered to the Park Entrance. By the time you get there you'll be able to eat a whole one with no problem and still lose weight. Enjoy your trip and I hope you find what you are looking for on the trail. I did.
    I did 280 miles in '11 and got off trail due to a death in the family. I've got unfinished business to take care of! I just didn't sleep real well in the tent and worse in the shelter. I got a great deal on a hammock from Hennessy at Trail Days and have been super happy! I'm so ready to roll.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I've been looking at doing some of the AT as well in the Smokey mtns with my hammock. However, from what I've read, it appears that you must stay in a shelter when hiking the AT in the Smokey Mtn National park. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, how do you handle with a hammock? Do you carry a sleep pad with your hammock for sleeping in shelters?

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac/Owyhee
    Quote Originally Posted by crawldaddy1 View Post
    I've been looking at doing some of the AT as well in the Smokey mtns with my hammock. However, from what I've read, it appears that you must stay in a shelter when hiking the AT in the Smokey Mtn National park. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, how do you handle with a hammock? Do you carry a sleep pad with your hammock for sleeping in shelters?
    That's correct and I will have a Neoair with me! Hopefully the shelters will be full by the time I finish hiking for the day!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 Burr 0
    Suspension
    1 inch Straps
    Images
    As I read the Rules for Backcountry in the Smoky Mountains, it states that tent camping is not permitted but it mentions that hammocks must not be in or attached to the shelters. My assumption would be that hammocks are permitted given that they are not hung from the shelters.

It is actually stated as rule number 8: Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.

So hammocks are allowed.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Last I checked it went like this: In the Smokies, specifically on the AT (not other trails/parts of the park), sleeping is only allowed at shelters. If the shelters have room, you need to sleep in the shelter. Thru hikers (defined as starting some distance outside the park and presumably traversing the whole thing) need a permit in advance of entering the park, but do not/can not reserve shelter space. Thru hikers need to give up shelter space for overnight campers/section hikers who have reserved space in the shelters. If a shelter is full (because it was full when you got there, or you got kicked out to let an overnighter stay there), then you can pitch either a tent or hammock outside the shelter.

On the less used trails in the Smokies backcountry camping (hammock or tent) is permitted. The stricter rules just apply to the AT corridor.

Please correct me if I am misquoting the current rules there.

Speakeasy has it right that you want to show up late to a full shelter if you want to use your hammock in the Smokies.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast