DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    How very, very sad...
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    This is a terrible thing. Big trees can provide a very deceptive sense of security. We had a maple tree about 4' in diameter. It was so badly rotted I wouldn't even lean a ladder on some of the branches.

The bigger in diameter a tree gets the more risk there is for internal damage. Next time you are in the woods and find a down tree of a good size look at it carefully. You will probably find signs of internal damage. I feel for the family.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

This is just awful, my prayers go out to the family.
    "Over the mountains of the Moon, Down the valley of the Shadow, Ride, bodly ride", the Shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!" - Edgar Allen Poe

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Horrible! 10' tall and 5' wide? That's one fat stocky tree!

Lots of sad news lately. It hurts to hear these things even more around the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrm tj View Post
    The is very sad....would be heard to detect that this could even happen I would think. Are there signs that would help identify this type of issue with a tree. Don't mean to ask a dumb question, but I think the internal impact on the tree wouldn't be able to be seen on the exterior?

Am I wrong?
    Sometimes you can tell and other times not at all without special testing. I live in Fl also and removed every tree on my proper that I thought looked suspect. A year or so later we had a large tree fall (blessed that it caused no damage to life or property. The tree looked completely healthy on the outside and was fully green. Inside at the base turned out to be hollow with only about an inch thickness on the wall. I have a picture somewhere as it seemed so amazing to me, will post if I can find it. My heart goes out to the parents for this loss.

Hammock
    DIY Hyper D 1.1 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    No way to tell most likely if that tree was a danger. It's one of those cases, wrong place at the wrong time.

This family will be in my thoughts.

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A tragic event that will be with the family forever. I am saddened for them.

This past Summer I was with a friend who hung his new hammock from a beetle killed lodge pole pine about 10" in diameter. I heard a loud thunk and looked over to see that the tree broke off at the ground and had come down on my friend as he was hanging in the hammock. It was a double whammy as he hit the ground hard, and then had the tree come down and hit him in the head. At first it seemed funny until I realized he had really taken a hard blow to the head, where a knot was quickly beginning to grow. This event really drove home to me the importance of carefully checking the trees you hang from, as well as overhanging widow makers which can easily break off in a wind storm.

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    CF3 Winter Palace
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    How very sad indeed. I would be devastated to find my child, or any child like that.
    Daisypetal

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbirds
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/Bullfrg
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*Zeppelin UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used to live in FL the oaks there are especially fragile to rott and bugs, remember winter there doesn't kill off these bugs and if it does get cold at all they just burrow deeper into the trees. But even just lots of rain storms can cause a tree to come down in FL. I have seen big oaks split right in half.
    -Paul
    Paul a.k.a. The Costco Kid

This is my Father's world, And to my listening ears
    All nature sings, and round me rings, The music of the spheres.
    This is my Father's world: I rest me in the thought
    Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas--His hand the wonders wrought.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123