Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I have 3 and I don't think I'll slow down anytime soon. I have a Grand Trunk SBH-Pro, a DIY 1.9 with whoopies and a scavenged bugnet from my other RIP'd (see what I did there?) GT SBH-Pro, and a DIY 1.0 HyperD w/ whoopies. The latter one weighs about 17oz w/ tree straps and toggles.

I absolutely love hammock camping/backpacking. My hammock setup for "winter" camping weighs about 6.75lbs... that includes a 45oz sleeping bag and my AHE UQ (30oz). In the summer I will trade up for my 1.9 and bugnet, asym tarp and SOL Escape Bivvy.
    WAR EAGLE!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Nice setups! One of these days I want to play around with a bridge but haven't found the time or money yet. I'm also still trying to master the winter moisture issue.

My wife and I started out with these monsters, double layer upholstery fabric.
    14731.jpg

Then we made me a 10' double layer 1.5 oz ACU.
    2014-10-20 08.24.47.jpg

My wife's second one doesn't justify a picture, it was a scrap bin piece of 1.9 that wasn't that great. Her third one she loves, it's a 10' 1.9.
    2014-10-11 16.43.28.jpg

I still haven't hung my third one up. It's a 12' 1.4 oz PolyD. I need to get a hammock stand built so I can get the sag dialed in inside. I don't mind sleeping outside when it's cold, -3° at the moment, but playing around with ridge lines and such isn't much fun.
    2014-11-15 16.51.41.jpg

Images
    Nice report Mouseskowitz thanks for sharing your collection. That PolyD looks pretty cool.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I ordered my WBRR sock with the following modifications - two zippers (one on each side) and internal D-rings. Because the sock is tapered for the RR, there is a definite head and foot end. With the standard zipper on one side, you may be in a situation where you want to face one way for a view, but enter/exit from the side opposite the standard zipper opening. With the RR, in order to put the sock on, you have to disassemble the suspension up the the apex connection, run the lines through the sock and reconnect them. So one doesn't want to have to take it on/off very often. with both zippers open it is almost like not there for summer use. But then the bungee on the built-in bug net has no where to go. By putting small D-rings inside the sock at the top ends, I can connect the bug net to them. The cost of those mods, requested when I ordered the sock, was very small, especially when I consider the number of years I plan to use it.

Double zippers are not required on the gathered end (Traveler) sock because unlike the RR sock, the Traveler sock can be put on to open on either side. But it is made for a hammock shorter than 11 ft So I add 2QZQ extensions - though that gets spendy. Maybe better to find a sock already designed for 11 ft.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-01-2015 at 19:36.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    mw3 uq & ss tq
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!!!
    O&B,
    I am really interested in how you modified the warbonnet sock to work with the BMBH. Can you discuss that and/or show some photos of the mods you made? It looks like you use amsteel for the suspension triangle on one end and the stock straps that came with the BMBH on the other end. Is that correct? Also, did you have to shorten the foot end spreader bars to fit the sock? Thanks!
    Last edited by VATriker; 01-01-2015 at 22:23.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VATriker View Post
    O&B,
    I am really interested in how you modified the warbonnet sock to work with the BMBH. Can you discuss that and/or show some photos of the mods you made? Thanks!
    Sure it really is very simple. I can't sew so if you can that would be a big plus.
    Basicly the four corner straps have to exit the sock. So I just took that measurement and cut 4
    1" slits using a soldering iron and using 100% silicone adhesive I glued some cordura reinforcement patches on the inside where the poles would rub on the sock material.
    It's very crude but works quite will. I am not a very good DIY kind of guys so I didn't take many picts of this project.

Here's the best pict I've got. hth

EDIT: One last thing. This bridge hammocks strap triangles use steel rings at the peak where the two come together and they are not removable.
    So I dremeled them off and use 2 AL climbing biners.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-01-2015 at 22:34.

The sock looks interesting how much condensation do you get in it at night?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1960 View Post
    The sock looks interesting how much condensation do you get in it at night?
    The trick with socks and condensation is proper venting for a given temp.
    When it gets really cold you have to do even more like find a way to trap the moisture in your breath.

A spin off of shugs breath catching bib I am experimenting right now with American Indian Shemagh's made from different materials.

Time stamp 4:20 for the tying method I am testing right now.

hth

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    The trick with socks and condensation is proper venting for a given temp.
    When it gets really cold you have to do even more like find a way to trap the moisture in your breath.

A spin off of shugs breath catching bib I am experimenting right now with American Indian Shemagh's made from different materials.

Time stamp 4:20 for the tying method I am testing right now.

hth
    Could be a good winter wrap also unfortunately I wear glasses so that wouldn't work but for sleeping looks like it would be warm ya might end up with ice buildup on the outside though

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1960 View Post
    Could be a good winter wrap also unfortunately I wear glasses so that wouldn't work but for sleeping looks like it would be warm ya might end up with ice buildup on the outside though
    Yep the goal is to keep the ice off your TQ and the inside of your sock. You just carefully shake off the ice from the Shemagh.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast