Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    looking
    Suspension
    Amsteel/speedhook

Help me convert from tent to hammock

Hello All,
    I have been doing some research on switching from tent backpacking to a hammock system and other forums or comments have lead me here. I am really interested in making the switch, and wanted some advise as to what hammock system would be best for my situation.
    I typically hike the Appalachian trail from spring to fall, so I get temperatures that range from low 30s at night to 80s depending on the time of year. The majority of my hikes will be around the low 60s or mid 50s at night. I want something light weight and versatile enough for 3 seasons. I've looked into the Hennessy explorer asym along with maybe the 4 season bundle. Or just the Hennessy with a jarbidge under quilt. I've also looked at the warbonnet.
    I have never used a hammock so any info is much appreciated!
    Thanks

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness

There is no one perfect setup. Everyone has different likes and dislikes

Watch all of Shugs videos on hammock hanging

Find a group hang in your area and attend it. You will be welcomed even if you show up in a tent. Group hangs are the best place to check out different setups and talk to the people who use them and find out why they went with the gear they did.

Nothing wrong with the Hennessy ( I own one ) but most folks find their tarps on the small side and go with a different tarp. A Jarbridge UQ 3S is a great choice. A bit bulky compared to down but a great value for the price ( I own a 1, 3 and 4 season Jarbridge ).

If you do go with a Blackbird and do not like it ( rare but it does happen ) you can sell it on the forum for close to what you paid for it.

If you are patient, you can pick up lots of used gear at great prices on the forum. Most members take very good care of their gear. All the used gear I have bought on the forum has been exactly as described

Don't give up after one night in the hammock. Most folks take a few nights to make the change. Also test your gear under controlled conditions so you know how to use it and if it preforms as expected. Nothing worse than being out in the woods and finding out that a piece of gear does not work as expected. Also taking said new gear to a group hang is a good place to get help from others making sure you have it set up properly.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. I can only echo what Gunner76 said. Gunner has give you all the advise normally given to those wanting to explore hammock camping. I can provide you one additional reference source which is theultimatehang.com Derek has great information on his web site.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Unless you need an hammock right now (from your description of your activities, it doesn't seem like you do until spring), take your time and do some research before purchasing. Your wallet and sleep will thank you.

This, right here, is probably the best advice you're going to get:

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Find a group hang in your area and attend it. You will be welcomed even if you show up in a tent. Group hangs are the best place to check out different setups and talk to the people who use them and find out why they went with the gear they did.
    I'll add that you'll want to think about what kind of outdoors experience you usually seek. If it's long days on trail so that you can see as much as possible in as short a time span before having to go back to the "real" world, weight is going to be a primary driver. If it's absolute sybaritic comfort in the back country, then ease of set up and total space/warmth/bug protection are going to be primary drivers. If it's being able to save as much money on this as possible, that's going to be the primary driver. The reality probably falls somewhere within those three extremes. Generally speaking, when choosing gear, pick two: light, good quality, cheap.

Note that the hammock (bundled systems notwithstanding) is separate from your tarp and your insulation (and can be from your bug net, depending). Your tarp is going to be what keeps you dry (and, possibly, depending on design, out of the wind); your insulation is going to be what keeps you warm.

Many (I'd go so far as to say "most") folks prefer a mid- to large-sized tarp (either hexagonally shaped with open ends or rectangular with tie-outs that allow the ends to be closed) and a top quilt/underquilt combo. If you already have a sleeping bag (or top quilt) that is rated for your usual adventures, you already have a top quilt that will work for you (albeit, possibly, one that's heavier and bulkier than some of the options out there). An underquilt, on the other hand, is very hammock-specific and really the secret to comfort (aside from the hammock itself) when temperatures at night dip below ~75* F for most folks. Much more comfortable than a pad, a good-quality underquilt is the primary driver of warmth in an hammock.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    looking
    Suspension
    Amsteel/speedhook
    Thanks all, this is great information. I will be checking out all of the links and doing a lotore research before buying anything. I am hoping to rent a setup to test out the first hike of this year. My trips are usually around 2-3 nighters in the AT, but I like keeping my gear light.
    I know this may depend on the quilt, but if I had a bottom quilt and a tarp, would I also need a sleeping bag or top quilt for 60s at night? It would be great if I could leave the sleeping bag at home as well, but it seems like I might need something to throw overtop of me.
    Thanks again.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Depends how warm you sleep. Would you be comfy in bed at home without a blanket in the same circumstances? For me, a fleece top quilt liner is good in the low 60s, but ymmv.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phalse View Post
    I know this may depend on the quilt, but if I had a bottom quilt and a tarp, would I also need a sleeping bag or top quilt for 60s at night?
    You'll still need something on top in those conditions.

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Monster
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Customs
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Welcome to the forum. For low 60's you could try using a hammock with a top cover in place of top insulation. Back at the hunger hang we had temps in the 40's and the inside of my hammock was in the mid to high 70's which made for a good night's sleep with out any top insulation.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Factor in your sleep clothes also, I'm a fairly warm sleeper but almost always sleep in a wool base layer. I usually don't pull the top quilt on until the temps drop to the 60-65 deg range during the night. But I don't think I would not carry something for the top, it's nice for that early morning coolness.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast