Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle

2nd hammock as UQP ?

So curious since we always have day lounging hammocks (ENO & Dutch argon)

Could I use one of those as a UQP ? I know the fit might not be quite as good but can't see why it won't work to keep splash and wind down some
    Thought about a simple s binder in the end loop onto the suspension

Figure going to try it out myself just curious if others have tried it or I am missing something

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I've wondered the same things, and the main things that stuck out to me as potential challenges are the comparative cut of the hammocks, how breathable the fabric is of the bottom hammock, and how you suspend it. The suspension in particular seems like it could be tricky.

My ENO feels like it is really breathable. I'd expect it to help protect an UQ some, but if it got wet I'd expect the water to wick right through the ENO to my UQ.

It's probably obvious, but if you suspend it independently of the top hammock you can expect problems with compression, big air gaps, or both. If you suspend it from the top hammock suspension, the question becomes how?

Lots of hammocks don't have much of their characteristic shape until they are bearing a load. I'd imagine to keep the sides of the bottom hammock where you want them you'd need quilt hooks, shock cord or the like to hold up the sides and keep it in the shape you want. You won't just be able to count on the ends of the hammock being the only attachment points.

I haven't tried it, but I'd be curious to hear how it works out for you. I'm also sure others have gone down this path before and might be able to provide some good insight.

Images
    Sure it will work.
    The only issue is a typical SL open hammock weighs about 3 times what a UQP does so if weight is not a concern do it.
    If your second hammock happens to have a Knotty Mod even better since you could adjust the slack material a bit.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    Thanks

We have them with us anyway for day use etc.... Figure for us it's more a if the need came up not having to buy more gear dual use what we have

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This is a very good idea. If you use a second hammock to protect your UQ, just leave a bit of slack in-between. It's more important to have the wind barrier close than it is to have it in contact. Anything, actually, will help to block the wind and divert condensation. Try it, and get back to us with the results. I predict great success.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I've experimented with the second hammock type rig and found that it didn't work too well. A Knotty Mod will help some, but you'd need one at each corner. Ideally, the Knotty Mod in the center of each side works the best.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I haven't done this, but, I would think that you need some sort of H2O protection. Maybe a spray-on, to make the water bead up, will work. It's not water proofing, it's water resistance. And again, this would add a little more weight, but, not as much as a wet hammock body.

For those that like weight savings, get an UQP and use the extra hammock to bring a friend into the woods with you.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts