Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

A suggestion for anyone thinking about ordering a Roaming Gnome

First of all, I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

I got a Roaming Gnome hammock from my family. It's a fantastic hammock and I think I'm really going to like the HyperD 1.6 fabric, however, I have one really strong recommendation for anyone considering this hammock.

I'd recommend you get multiple zippers on each side. When I ordered the hammock I didn't really think about the zippers; I spend all my time thinking about the fabric and color. On the Gnome, you can unzip the bugnet on both sides so it ends up only connected at the foot end where it can be stored in a peak bag. This means there's a single zipper on each side. To get in, you unzip either side, get in, and then zip it up but you have to zip it up into the peak.

This can be a bit of a stretch when you're laying inside. If I'd thought about it more, I would have ordered additional zippers on one, (at least) or possibly both sides so I could open and close the net in the middle of the hammock. Not sure if you're following what I mean but it's potentially significant.

For years, all of my hammocks were entered from one side. On that side there were two zippers, I always positioned the two in the middle which made getting in an out easy. Having to zip the zippers all the way up to the peak above your head isn't bad but it's "different".

If you're going for lightweight then I'd keep it as is or even go with the Darien with zippers on one side but if weight isn't the biggest driver, then you should get a total of 3 zippers on the side you want to get in and out of, or get 3 zippers on both sides.
    This way you can zip up/on the bug net and then use the two other zippers positioned in the middle to get in and out of.

I chose the Gnome because 95% of the time I have the bugnet on. But once in a blue moon I do like to be able to skip it so I can enjoy a tarpless night of sky watching. I do this so infrequently that I don't want to be able to leave the bugnet at home, I just want to be able to stow it. The Gnome allows this. I really struggled between the Gnome and the Thunderbird, I just didn't know how much I'd like, or want to use the top cover.

I may eventually get the Thunderbird and try it out as a dedicated winter hammock; the good thing about hammocks is that we can always sell our used ones and get something back out of them to reinvest!

Anyway, I can highly recommend the Roaming Gnome but I would adise that you really think through the zipper part of it!

Gideon

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Thanks Gideon.
    Get with me and we can certainly fix you up.
    ZipperPulls1.JPG

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a couple of the DangerBirds from a couple years ago. They have the same 'issue'. It's hard to reach all the way to the top or foot to unzip in the middle of the night. I'd much rather have double zippers (which Randy now sells!).

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Atlas
    I love my RG...I had the same concerns about the single zippers. I just had DH add extra zipper pulls to each side and it works great. Thanks Papasmurf!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Details that mean so much! I am very fussy about where the exits are. I put long reflective cords on my zippers, I make sure they are where I can easily reach them. I am flaky about being enclosed and getting worse as I age. When I want to get out of my hammock, I do not want to hunt for the zipper. I am also short so having the zippers where I am able to easily reach them is important.

Thank you for taking the time to help those of us new to ordering a custom hammock. I never would have thought about having the extra zippers. For me it would be very important. I am guessing a lot of us would not think about the additional zippers without a little memory jog. Thank You!

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Yup 5'9" here and sent my RG back to Papa Smurf and for $10 got zippered up right....still the most comfortable hammock I have ever laid in (1.6oz ripstop acu camo!)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    This page gives a few more details about how the zippers function on the different models.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/ZipperOptions.html

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great link PapaSmurf. How much to have my DB upgraded to the extra zippers and shipping?

Hammock
    Dream H.: Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat
    My DangerBird has extra zippers on both sides -- for not only the bugnet but for the overcover, too. That's a lot of zippers, and I'm really glad I have them. I hadn't even thought about the need for them, but while I was considering and ordering, I studied all the options on the Dream Hammock site. I found the site to be very educational, and I would recommend any new customer to go through each option to learn why it's there and see if it would be good for your situation. I also emailed PapaSmurf some questions, and that helped, too.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Soon I will be ordering a new RG. The zipper feature is awesome which is why my next order will have them on both sides.

Did you happen to get the wings? One question I have is when adding the wings does it effect the netting? The netting on my Thunderbird stays off the face so much better then a WB XLC I had and I'd be distressed if it made it worse. Another thought might be under quilt coverage. Being on a greater angle could effect the head and feet.

How tall are you and what length did you get?

Did you get any other features? Why or why not?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast