Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Simply Light Desig
    Suspension
    Whoopie with Dutch

USA Made Hammock for a Very Big and Tall Guy... Reccos / Volunteers?

Hello all! As you can tell from the fact this is my first post, I'm a total hammock newb. A group of buddies and I do adventure camping every year, and this year we are doing mountain bike camping... so we all decided to make the switch to hammocks.

The rub for me is that I am 6'7" tall, 370 and have very wide shoulders, and only buy American Made products unless there literally is no other option. Oh, and I have horrible back pain from a spine fracture a few years ago.

The other thing I want is an integrated bug net. Living in the NE, the mosquitoes eat me alive so I know I will need one, and don't want to mess around with a separate item. And finally, ideally, the hammock has the ability to swap out the bug net for a cover, for winter camping. Naturally, we are talking double layer with my weight.

I've been reading and researching for about 3 weeks now, and have narrowed down the list of possible vendors/hammocks to the following:
    Hammeck Envy
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tree to Tree Switchback
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC.

I've already emailed Hammeck to get their take/quote. Ideally also I would love for the outer layer and cover, if possible, to be camo material... and the inner layer to be some sort of blaze orange.

My questions:
    1. If the makers of the above read this, what say ye? Something you think you can make work for me?
    2. Did I miss any possible makers that make something like what I am looking for?
    3. What suspensions should I be looking at given my size?
    4. What am I missing? Remember, I have literally no hammock experience or knowledge outside of my 3 weeks of reading all I could find and watching Shug videos....

Thanks very much in advance for your help, suggestions and ideas!

Hal

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Hey Hal! I saw your email this morning. I'll be catching up on email throughout the day, so you should see a response this afternoon. Thanks!
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    There is a 1.6 ounce HyperD in Woodland camo that would make a good DL for you: http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products...-woodland-camo

It's very strong fabric but only 60 inches wide. Don't now if that would be wide enough but worth a try.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Here are a few possibilities:

Going with a double layer of 1.6oz HyperD fabric would work well. You can can choose any width you desire up to 72" wide as well as any color HyperD fabric to create a hammock specifically suited to you.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/order_d...tml?order=1297
    1297.JPG

http://www.dream-hammock.com/order_d...tml?order=1358
    1358_2.JPG 1358_1.JPG

http://www.dream-hammock.com/order_d...tml?order=1214
    1214.JPG

http://www.dream-hammock.com/order_d...tml?order=1195
    1195.JPG

Last edited by PapaSmurf; 12-26-2014 at 11:37.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Halmc, if you check out the above post by Papa Smurf from Dream Hammocks, take a look at the camo Thunderbird, order # 1358, it is mine, click on the link and see all the details about it.
    I am 422 lbs , 6 ft 2 , and quite wide and this custom made hammock is one sweet piece of gear that will hold me (and you) just fine! it has a removable top cover as well as bug net.
    Dream Hammocks make the highest quality of hammock that you can find and Randy (Papa Smurf) is great to work with.
    For men of our size i think that this is the very best option available.PERIOD!!
    Contact Papa Smurf thru his website and i'm sure you will find what your looking for,,, by the way, i can bounce around in my hammock all day and i know that it's secure enough for me.

Images
    Hi HalMc,
    Welcome to the forum. There are a few of us Mtn Bike Hangers here on the forum.

Here's some picts of our last mtn bike hang.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...7644520023844/

I've been mtn hanging since ~06 and built 3 mtn bike for different kind's of trails.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Simply Light Desig
    Suspension
    Whoopie with Dutch
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I did get an email from Mr. Meck, and the info above from dream, so I will contact Papa Smurf for a quote and go with one of the two! Thanks so much for the input and all of your help.

Hammock
    Grand Trunks SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue HM20R
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Custom
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro. Rated at 400lbs, has bug net, but wouldn't be considered "light". Mine weighs a pound and a half with amsteel chain links and whoopie slings.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Simply Light Desig
    Suspension
    Whoopie with Dutch
    But Grand Trunks are not made in the USA, are they? That is a mandatory thing for me.

After some great back and forth with David Meck, who has been fantastic to deal with and very helpful, I think I need to go with Dream.... simply because of the width issue. As I explained to David, I have very wide shoulders (and everything) to the point where I literally take up half the seats on either side of me on a plane if I don't basically fold myself in half. My concern was that 59" might be very constricting for me, and he agreed.

Again, as I explained to him, I have nothing to base this on other than what I read and the life experience of generally finding most things made for normal humans too small for me. I don't fit comfortably in most cars, and many cars I literally don't fit in at all between my leg length and my height and the broadness.

I hate to not be able to get one from David after all the time he spent replying to me, but I will steer folks his way in the future, normal sized ones, for sure.

Papa Smurf, how should I proceed?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I suggest you email randy directly and tell him what you want, just like you were working up an order, he will ask any pertinent questions, then send you a quote. He has done it for me on both of my custom t-birds and is very easy to work with.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast