Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End Robic XL Fabric
    Insulation
    HG 20 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Epsilon vs Silnylon

I am researching my first DIY rain fly. I am wanting to do a hex fly with cat cuts in multicam. So far I have found two types and sources for the multicam. The first is from ripstopbytheroll.com. It is 1.1oz silnylon. The second source is from rrt_trading_post on eBay. Theirs is EPSILON 1.55 OZ. NYLON RIPSTOP FABRIC MILITARY 60"W CAMO DWR BTY with a NanoSphere® liquid repellency treatment. Other than price, 17.50/yd vs about 6.50/yd. What is the difference between the two fabrics? Which one is more durable and/or would last longer repelling water?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-nylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WS/TH
    My guess would be that the Epsilon is actually silicon coated Poly. Much heavier and does't pack as well. Ask Kyle from RSBTR. He would know for sure.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Epsilon is not a coated fabric suitable for shelter construction as we use it in the construction of quilts since it is breathable. While it may be suitable for a sun shade or morning dew or very light rains it will not keep you dry in anything heavier. The Intruder MC Silnylon is a true silnylon and is intended for shelter construction such as tarps and tents.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Epsilon has a coating on it called Nanosphere, made by Schoeller Industries:

http://www.schoeller-textiles.com/en...anosphere.html

It is incredibly water, wind, and abrasion resistant.

Feathered Friends describes it thus:
    Schoeller NanoSphere®
    Specifications:
    100% nylon. 20 denier by 20 denier
    1.1 oz/sq.yd total weight
    Water-Resistant/Breathable NanoSphere treatment

NanoSphere® is a fabric treatment which, through the use of nanoparticles, alters the material to a much higher degree of water and stain resistance without blocking the natural porosity of the weave. It is a vastly improved version of the durable water repellant (DWR) treatment that most outdoor fabrics have. At a microscopic level, it gives water almost no surface to cling to causing it to bead up and roll off while also creating a natural self-cleaning effect. NanoSphere is oleophobic, which is beneficial to repelling a large range of potential contaminates such as body oils. The treatment is highly durable and more importantly, involves no potentially toxic or environmentally damaging emissions at any point of the manufacturing process. NanoSphere treatment can be rejuvenated with exposure to heat and we recommend drying your products at a moderate heat level to maximize this effect.
    On Schoeller's FAQ page they say this about laundering Nanopshere:

Depending on the base material, the finish lasts for up to 50-70 washes at 40°C. Even after serious use and frequent washing, the finish remains permanently active. After washing, the function can be reactivated by heat treatment, either in the dryer or by ironing. In most cases products with NanoSphere® technology are suitable for industrial laundering.
    There is a good deal of debate as to whether Nanosphere coated materials are suitable for tarps and tents. Its ability to stay clean by shedding oils and liquids, its ability to block wind while remaining breathable, and its incredible abrasion resistance makes it extremely popular for outerwear. It is a coating and the problem with coatings is not that they aren't water resistant, its that they eventually wear off, or are too heavy for recreational hiking. Silnylon is popular with hikers because it is the most water reistant material that is both light and durable. There are no studies or reports of how long Nanosphere will stay on the fabrics to which it is applied, but it is superior to DWR (durable water resistant) coatings. Epsilon is weighs essentially the same to silnylon.

Duro, the current manufacturer of Epsilon, claims that it is suitable for making tents:

http://multicamfabric.com/shop-fabrics/epsilon

Nemo makes a bivy out of Epsilon: http://multicamfabric.com/use-cases/...cal-super-bivy , and they make a tarp/mosquito shelter out of it as well: http://multicamfabric.com/use-cases/...2%84%A2-se-9x9

http://www.tacticaldistributors.com/...-tent-multicam

HF member Sir Markos recently finished a tarp in Epsilon. Hopefully, he'll pop in and give us a report.

I have enough Epsilon here to make a winter tarp but haven't had the time to get to doing it. I do think it is suitable for tarps, at least in winter when rains are less intense. I'm not sure how well it will perform in the kinds of inundations that we experience here on the Gulf Coast, but i can also say that I've had misting and splash through with silnylon in very intense rains here, so it may be six of one, half a dozen of another.

Hammock
    DIY Epsilon
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    hammock anchors
    Following this.
    I made a Hammock and UQ with it but hadn't considered it for a Tarp.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    The major difference is the silnylon is a factory impregnated fabric for the specific use of making a waterproof item. Epsilon is a DWR fabric originally intended to make clothing, tent walls, etc. but in and of itself is not "waterproof" as sargevining already described in detail.

I ended up making a 10x12 tarp out of the material but I had to do the silicone process myself. At the time there was no silnylon in production. As it stands, I prefer the heavier material for durability. Not to mention the price tag of of the multicam in silnylon is just astronomical.

I'm happy to report that after several outings, it's still holding up great! And the DIY silicone process, if done with patience and care, is awesome! My tarp sheds water like a beast with my fire hose style nozzle open full blast. So, as you can imagine, the typical rain is no challenge whatsoever.

Hope this helps!
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    Insulation
    HG 20 TQ&amp;UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    good to know, thanks for the info!

Hammock
    Insulation
    HG 20 TQ&amp;UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I've seen your tarp and it looks great. Do you have the process you used for DIY silicone process, or a link to the process you used? Also in your opinion, or fact, would the epsilon be more durable than silnylon? How do you think the silnylon compairs to DIY silicone processing in repelling water? Finally what is the life of the DIY silicone vs silnylon?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I'd forgotten that Sir Markos had done a sil treatment to the Epsilon. Its a great tarp, but not a good yardstick for Epsilon's long term durability.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I have both Epsilon and Intruder MC silnylon at the shop. I will compare the two for waterproofness and report back. I think the Epsilon will have trouble with two quick and dirty tests that I use for assessing coated fabrics:

1. Lick and stick thumb test - Lick your finger and press against the fabric. See how hard you have to press for water droplets to come through.

2. Hydrostatic abrasion - Fill a cup with water, cover it with the fabric, and rubber band the top. Turn upside down and rub the fabric. How long does it take for water to come through, or does it come through at all?
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast