Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    wbbb web / buckle

full-length UQ for blackbird XLC

hi all,

i have a warbonnet blackbird XLC on the way, and a 20-degree revelation top quilt from enlightened-equipment. now i just need to decide on an under quilt.

it's down to 20-degree enlightened-equipment revolt, hammock-gear burrow and UGQ zeppelin. i have marked JrB off the list because i have read some comments about the down moving around in the cross-ways baffles, leaving thin spots.

for all you other guys with XLC blackbirds, which length UQ did you end up getting, or wish you had gotten?

thanks in advance,

-eric

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    JRB 20 and HG 0 both work great on my XLC. Nothing wrong with either of these quilts - just depends on the temperature.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I have a full length 20 HG Incubator. I debated the length a bit but am glad I went full length on UQ. There may be times when torso or 3/4 length will work but the weight savings aren't enough to justify giving up good coverage at least for the way I hang. I'd experimented with pads a bit before going with an UQ and discovered my feet could be a slight problem. I use SmartWool socks to sleep in but still prone to cool feet. Full length UQ seemed like a good decision and remains so at least for me.

When I was shopping I talked with two vendors both suggesting in the end that I start with a full length UQ. You might reach out similarly. The cottage industry guys know their business.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    wbbb web / buckle
    thanks JSH. old-time richmonder here. lived all over chesterfield too. i'd love to give JrB my business seeing as they're a VA company, but i just worry about the down moving around, the way they orient their baffles. i know lots of guys swear by them, but i've read a lot of other people who get cold spots because the down moves around. have you had that experience?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I migrate the down on all my UQs by giving them a shake to get the down where I want it. Never have I had cold spots with my JRB UQs.......
    All the vendors you names sell and make quality gear.
    Shug
    I may have already linked you these vids, if-so I apologize.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I have the Grey lock 3. Yes, all the down moves. That is one advantage I think JRB has is that the down will settle to the bottom of the baffles where you are laying. Just my opinion. I've used mine to 30 F and did not have any cold spots on my torso where the quilt was located. I've limited experience e though.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I've visited JRB spending an afternoon with Peter_pan just before Thanksgiving. I took my WBBB with me and Jack showed me how top and underquilts work. Really appreciated his advice. I've discovered that moving down around a bit with either is part of managing insulation. I'm still a relative neophyte but believe most of our vendors engineer enough insulation into their products to more than match their rating.

I saw one of Shug's videos on guilts a couple months ago, can't remember whether it involved top or bottom quilts but he showed how to adjust the quilt for different temperatures by flinging the guilt to purposely adjust the placement of the insulation. Jack showed me the same technique. I talked with Stormcrow at HQ about underquilts and he suggested the same option in moving insulation where you need it to match up with other options you use, i.e. socks, foot pads or to make the guilt work better in warmer conditions.

I can't speak for other folks and cold spots but having hung about 15 nights in November and December with a HG under and JRB top several nights to 21 degrees with some wind, I haven't experienced issues. And I was initially keeping my fingers crossed but I have not had issues at all, just as I was advised. Admittedly I've worn some clothes, i.e. Smartwool socks, fleece shirt, pants, stocking hat and have learned to use an underquilt protector but taking everything together. Honestly if down movement was a problem, the forum would be filled with discussions about it. I haven't seen this. My hunch is that cold spots may be the result of extreme conditions and/or pushing the guilts beyond their ratings. Just my thoughts though.

Kind of cool to meet other Richmonders. I live in Chesterfield but was raised in Hanover.

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    Santa is bringing me a KAQ from Arrowhead. A new river. Synthetic, but it should do the trick down to below freezing. It's advertised as fitting a WB XLC which is what I have.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I nave been looking at quilts myself lately and to be honest with you it's gonna be hard to go wrong with any of the cottage venors on here as long as yo go with a long enough uq.
    That being said i'm leaning towards UGQ'S, the reviews on thier quilts are outstanding and they make some beautiful looking quilts.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20F HG UQ, JRB Qlt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Long Hammock Gear Incubator 20. Love it!

I use a JRB Shenandoah top quilt, with a fleece quilt liner too. I have nothing against JRB - I just liked the information and reviews I found for the HG, and felt confident that I would not be disappointed - which I am definitely not.

Also, I was limited to a $300 budget. It's certainly possible that there are better options for more $$.
    Last edited by matthew7hayes; 12-21-2014 at 01:52. Reason: Added budget information

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast