DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    My lightest setup is homemade 1.1 nylon hammock + homemade bug net + speed hook suspension + cuben hex tarp (11 x 8) + 4 stakes = 20 0z; add 3-season Yeti UQ and short foot pad = 15 oz; 35 ounces total. I can go lighter by using a small asym tarp, which takes off 2 ounces for tarp and 1/2 oz for 2 less stakes. You can go pretty light if you work at it. DIY skills are helpful & the patience to save up the $$ for cuben fiber stuff.
    The above setup has been used into the low 30's and for about 1/4 of my trips this year (about 7 or 8 nights). I like to use this one when I need to go really light, free up pack space for extra food, and still want to be comfy. Disclaimer: I am rather short, so I can use a shorter hammock.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Been working on my UL set up. Since I had such good results last spring and summer, it has inspired me to work on it more.

Yesterday I finished a new hammock (9.5x4.5' PolyD) and suspension (Dynaglide) that weighs 7.5 ounces.

My minimalist tarp (9x6' of .74 CF) and suspension weighs 6.4 ounces.

Just ordered some .34 CF to make a combo bug net/peak beaks that will turn out to be about 3.5 ounces.

DIY UQ is 7 ounces and HG Burrow TQ is 12.

That's 36.4 ounces.
    Last edited by MDSH; 12-20-2014 at 23:03.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Thats getting down pretty light fella's. I'll see where I get to once I finish reinventing the wheel ( so to speak )

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    My lightest setup is homemade 1.1 nylon hammock + homemade bug net + speed hook suspension + cuben hex tarp (11 x 8) + 4 stakes = 20 0z; add 3-season Yeti UQ and short foot pad = 15 oz; 35 ounces total.
    No top quilt?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    So temp wise I am looking to stay above 30 'F or O' C with the option to layer up more or just stay awake. Usually no more than 3 to 4 nights
    So you're looking to go so light on insulation that you literally can't sleep for 3 or 4 nights because you're freezing? They have a name for that, my friend. It's called Stupid Light.

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/stupid-...ght-or-better/

I once went on a group hang and the lows were 16* F (-8* C). I woke up to water the lilies around 4 or 5 am and found a hanger shivering next to the campfire. I asked him how he slept and he said, "I didn't. I froze."

"But you have a 0* HG Incubator underquilt. How could you freeze?" I asked.

"In an effort to save pack weight," he replied, "I didn't bring a topquilt. I thought I could wrap the UQ around me and stay warm without a TQ." The poor guy was so exhausted from shivering all night that he had his girlfriend come pick him up. He was a wreck.

That's what stupid light is all about!

When I don't bring the proper equipment for the weather, I find the quality of decision-making just goes south in a hurry. Your mind gets fuzzy and then you put your life at risk.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 12-20-2014 at 23:52.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    My set up:

Dream Hammock 11 ft Freebird 1.0 oz 367 gr (12.9 oz)
    Hammock Gear Phoenix 20 F underquilt 422 gr (14.9 oz)
    Hammock Gear hex tarp 11 ft 217 gr (7.7oz) (including guylines)
    4 Ruta Locura 6 inch stakes 30 gr (1.1 oz)
    Footpad doubles as sitpad and backpack frame so doesn't count (would be 72 gr=2.5 oz)
    Totals 1036 gram = 36.5 oz without footpad
    Last edited by Armchair hiker; 12-21-2014 at 06:50.

Ha ha Silvr Surfr Thats very "enlightening"
    No, the reason I have omitted the top quilt from my requirements was that I already have a TQ and was trying to focus more on my other needs to make the flight from ground to hang.
    Believe me if I need more warmth I'll bring it

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Zpacks Asym Tarp with linelocs, glowire, 2 mini-groundhogs, dutch-hooks 7oz
    Dutchware Speedhooks, Amsteel, and straps 3.8oz
    Nanobuginator 6.2oz
    Weight Weenie Micro 6.2oz
    hammockgear burrow tq (short and overstuffed to get it to work to 30F comfortably) 13.6oz
    zpacks 20F uq (added draft collars and used the included straps but deleted the stretchy cord altogether) 13.75oz
    polycryo Welcome Mat (actually used 3M window film from Ace Hardware for $8, 0.7oz)

so, a smidge over three pounds during mosquito season.

i'm TOASTY down to right about 30F (as tested at Tahoe) when totally naked. and if i wear capilene longies and/or Houdinis and or a tyvek coverall for pajamas, i am confident i could go down another 10 or 12 degrees without any trouble.

the underquilt has surprised me greatly - i thought those straps were weird and stupid but they work great. i'm thinking i added the draft collars for no reason, and that would take me down another three ounces i think.

the bugnet is not needed most of the time so that's 6oz i don't usually have to take. but i find the welcome mat is Necessary because the hammock is very thin and the ground cover allows me to ease in carefully without bringing even the tiniest of forest duff into bed with me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123