Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Been debating a single layer PL or Apex with a Narrow double layer over the top to simulate what you did in synthetic.
    This was my original idea but my sister (ex pro seamstress) warned me of doing quilting in the centre of a larger quilt as space in the machine runs out and mistakes happen. I not saying dont do it (it would be I think awesome!) just very difficult. Once I'm more used to quilting I do want to do a real pure primaloft quilt though.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    This was my original idea but my sister (ex pro seamstress) warned me of doing quilting in the centre of a larger quilt as space in the machine runs out and mistakes happen. I not saying dont do it (it would be I think awesome!) just very difficult. Once I'm more used to quilting I do want to do a real pure primaloft quilt though.
    I've done it with Apex no problem- I simply sew the second layer to outer shell.
    Works great on an UQ to give you a little extra oomph at the butt or shoulders- or just with an extra torso layer-(You can mostly see the stitch line in the pic)

PL- I think I would do the same- one layer quilted to inner shell, second to outer- but I understand what she's saying- lotta material and thickness for a basic home machine.insul bridge- torso.jpg

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    A quick update on how the primaloft is holding up with use.

I've only used the 66g/m2 primaloft sewn through every 6" as I sold the other one (I've been selling quilts on eBay). So anyway the quilt has now been laundered about 5 times and used for around 50 nights hammocking, in bivy bags, land-rovers, flights and mates floors. Its certainly not been handled with kid gloves and appears to be just as thick and no rips or tears, as far as I can tell it's as good as new (although quite hard to tell as it's very thin anyway).

I definitely prefer primaloft to climashield in terms of how it feels and drapes, shame it's such a royal PITA to put together.

All in all I'm really happy with it. That said down is still king :-)DSC_0105.jpg
    Last edited by Scotty Von Porkchop; 08-06-2015 at 14:49.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I love the combo idea. I've got some synthetics showing up this week that would be great to combine with the small amount of down i have left.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." – Bilbo Baggins

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Think my 66g hybrid was made using the down left over from a jacket, I don't think I even used a full jacket worth in the end. So really efficient use of down.

I actually made another thicker hybrid one today as I really like the hybrid. DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg
    Last edited by Scotty Von Porkchop; 08-07-2015 at 11:30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12