Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Four Top Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by rchang72 View Post
    Lovely gifts. Better than a fruitcake.

Just curious on the U-shaped baffles. How did you sew them? And why the shape?
    In my mind, this pattern will keep the down from shifting from the midline better than a straight horizontal or vertical baffle. The design is the same that Enlightened Equipment uses. It does take a bit more math to determine how much down each baffle section requires.

In order to sew, I used a continuous piece of no-see-um for each individual baffle. At the turning points, you leave the needle in the fabric, lift the presser arm, and then rotate the quilt before proceeding. To combine the top and bottom layer, you must connect the center baffle first and then work your way to the outside.

Probably a bit more time consuming than a horizontal or vertical baffle set, but I suspect better down distribution and less shifting.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40*
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Awesome job, Cameroo81.
    -No man is above the law and no man is below the law, nor do we ask his permission when we require him to obey it.

Theodore Roosevelt, 1903

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Nice job! I'm always impressed with the DIY on the forum here.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camerooo81 View Post
    In my mind, this pattern will keep the down from shifting from the midline better than a straight horizontal or vertical baffle. The design is the same that Enlightened Equipment uses. It does take a bit more math to determine how much down each baffle section requires.

In order to sew, I used a continuous piece of no-see-um for each individual baffle. At the turning points, you leave the needle in the fabric, lift the presser arm, and then rotate the quilt before proceeding. To combine the top and bottom layer, you must connect the center baffle first and then work your way to the outside.

Probably a bit more time consuming than a horizontal or vertical baffle set, but I suspect better down distribution and less shifting.
    MATH? I thought after school I wouldn't ever need math???? I try to point out to my son the areas where math and science are needed in real life. Even if its the concepts of things. I have to put DIY on the list and hope when he gets older he can make me such nice gifts. Good job on the work and good cheer.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Great work, these look awesome. I'm just finishing up my UG, and it came out nice, but I don't think the quality looks as good as these.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by camerooo81 View Post

I like the thinking. Let us know if the shifting is less. I made one TQ with horizontal baffles and struggled with everything. But it's very warm and down stays in place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12