Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks

10ft or 11ft for short people?

So I keep reading that people find longer hammocks more comfortable. I'm short, like 5'6" and I get how someone that's tall would appreciate the room in a longer hammock but I wonder if it's just excess material for someone my size. Is there anyone out there that's short and really prefers an 11 foot hammock over a 10 footer? I'm kicking around another purchase and can't decide which size to opt for. I'd just assume not carry around more material and possibly limit my tree selection if there's nothing gained.

Before someone suggests that I try various sizes, I've got an ENO which is quite short, a 10' Hammeck Envy in PolyD, a 11' Dutch Argon, and a WBBB (which is 10 foot). Each feels different but I can't decide whether it's design, material, length, or the way I hang them that makes them vary. I figured asking around about other short peoples experiences might give some more insight.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Oooo I'm watching this one! I wouldn't call myself short at 5'9", but definitely not tall. I like my WBBB, but also conisdered trying a 10' or 11' Argon. Couldn't decide so I gave up.

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    The nice thing about Dutch's Argon hammocks is that they're so cheap you really can just buy them all to try. Just wait til he has stuff in his NylonD and you'll have 6 variations to try

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    I am vertically challenged myself at 5'6" LOL. I used a DD hammock at first & would get the calf leg issues pretty bad sometimes tried all different positions & different hang angles etc.
    Switched to a Snipe hammock & it made a big difference hardly any calf pressure. Burrowed a ENO & it felt pretty good as well. So I believe a longer hammock does help some people.
    Reading all the reports on the bridge hammocks I couldn't take it any longer & bought the ridge runner. What a difference no comparison for me. Nothing against any of my previous hammocks but they are all on the shelf & the RR goes with me every time. As far as the extra material goes wasn't that noticeable to me & I would use some of it to keep things off the ground extra clothes or whatnot if I had any.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    You might be comfortable in one that is 9 feet long. I'm 5'-11" and sleep well in my GT UL. For some reason my 9-foot DIY UL hammock made of 1.1 MARPAT is not as comfortable as the GT but I can still sleep alright.

Have some 1.2 HyperD for a new UL and will probably make it 9.5 x 4.5 feet.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanS View Post
    Each feels different but I can't decide whether it's design, material, length, or the way I hang them that makes them vary.
    Yes! I am also of shorter stature and my hammock is less than 10ft. However, it isn't solely the length which makes it my most comfortable hammock. It is all the other attributes combined. The key is finding the optimum combination of attributes. Most people who experiment with length hold all other variables the same (good idea) and then find the optimum length. The erroneous conclusion then follows that the optimum length is true for all. The truth being it was the optimum length for all those other attributes. Most seem to ignore fabric choice. The more I experiment, the more I think fabric plays more of a role than previously considered.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Custom Trail Lair; Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Incubator/Bandit 0
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I am shorter, 5' 8", and when I switched from my ENOMDN to the SLD 11' Streamliner, I swore never to go with a shorted hammock. I find the sweet spot almost instantly every time I lay down in the SLD.
    Everyone's experience is different, but for me, the longer hammock is much more comfortable. Best of luck with your search and hyoh!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Well, I am the nasty S___T word and shrinking (62 inches) I have tried most of the hammocks now in search of what works for me. I am making my gear to fit me, I like not having my top cover two or three feet longer than I am tall. I am thinking a DIY Bridge would be nice because I could have the tree's I hang from closer together than with a longer bridge.

I can clearly tell the difference in the quality of my hammocks, I like the high quality gear the best, well except for my Green Hornet, I really like that hammock.

Part of my problem is that I have discovered I do not like to be enveloped in hammock. Getting out in the middle of the night is a major challenge. As my taste matures in hammock needs, I find less is more. I discovered the Bridge Hammock, I can see out of it, I do not feel too enclosed in the summer, I can exit the darned thing without a major struggle. It is bad enough to wake up and need to make a potty run, but to have to fight to get up and out, probably getting a charlie horse in my thigh, I have vertigo so I am very dizzy, just not that much fun. With the bridge hammock, I can get out of the hammock without any struggle, which makes it easier to keep my balance.

I like the minimalist approach to Hanging, I do not like to be enclosed, I want to be able to exit with a minimum of effort.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I consider myself somewhat of a hammock outfitter, because I have three kids and sometimes I loan my stuff to others as well. I like to standardize: I want the easiest, most predictable, most affordable systems I can get. Simple, gathered-end hammocks are the easiest system in my mind. I don't experiment with length or whipping methods; I know that 11 ft. hammocks with channels are great for me (5'11") and pretty good for most people. None of my kids (5'8" to 6'1") have ever complained about an 11 ft. hammock. Add a Fronkey-style bugnet and life is good.

All my tarps (I think I have eight, not sure) are geared to 11 ft. hammocks; my adjustable structural ridgelines (ASRs) and fixed ridgelines are made for 11 ft. hammocks. It just makes my life easier for mixing and matching. Hammock length is one area I simply do not experiment.

An additional benefit of simple, gathered-end hammocks is that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to try new fabrics. I can buy a Dutch PolyD or Argon hammock for $30, whereas if I were an integrated bugnet aficionado, it would cost me a heckuva lot more.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    My mom is 5' 3", and was really disappointed to draw the short straw (pun intended) on the demo models we made to take to hangs. We decided we needed to have at least one 10'-er to show, so she ended up with that one, since she is the shortest member of our family. She really prefers 11', when she has the option. My wife is 5' 8", and also will not use anything shorter.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast