Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    wbbb web / buckle

new to hammocks, trying to narrow down choices. bridge or gathered? pad or UQ? which make?

hi all, i am considering 3-season hammock setups as an alternative to tents for motorcycle camping. i'm primarily concerned with quality of sleep. versatility / ease of setup is secondary, packed size is tertiary, price is quaternary.

i am a side-sleeper generally, and i tend to thrash around and kick my legs all night. drives my wife crazy. i'm also an older guy (57) with all the attendant aches, pains and creakiness that go along with middle age.

i've tried to do some research via the ADVrider "equipment" forum and the hammockforums, as well as looking at the offerings on various vendors' pages, and i think i know enough to at least ask a few questions. i'll start by laying out my options so far:

1) warbonnet blackbird double-layer XLC with top cover and super-fly tarp. $375. i have a 30" wide inflatable pad (nemo cosmo) that will fit in between the layers (i checked with WB on that), so i can at least get started for now without needing to buy an under-quilt. i also have a few rectangular sleeping bags that i can open up all the way to use as top-quilts.

2) warbonnet ridge-runner double-layer with spindrift cover and superfly tarp. $425.

3) clark NX-250 with XL tarp. no pocket for sleeping pad, so this is less optimal in my opinion but not a show-stopper. i like the pole arrangement that makes it seem to open up more inside. $429. i like that it has a weather-cover built-in.

4) clark north-american with XL tarp. $380. same as NX-250... i like that it has a weather-cover built-in. $380

also considering jacks-r-better BMBH.

i know there's a lot more vendors but i am getting analysis paralysis and need to stick with a few "name" brands. later on i will look at quilts but for right now i am looking to get started with my 30"-wide pad and sleeping bag/over-quilt.

one thing i like about the idea of a pad is that if i need to sleep on the ground because of a lack of trees, i already have my pad with me and can improvise the rest using the hammock as a bivy etc.

so i guess my questions now would be, as a side-sleeper who thrashes arpound all night, is there anything "better" about a bridge-type over a gathered-end hammock? i'm looking for real-world experiences from guys like me who have tried both.

thanks in advance for your time and advice,

-eric zwicky

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You can make a quick DIY tablecloth hammock to see if you like gathered end types for not very much money, <$30. Or many vendors offer netless hammocks around $30,Dutch to name one. Try that out and see if you like it. If you decide to go with a bridge hammock you will already have the suspension so you will not be out much money.

My wife is a side/belly sleeper and prefers her BMBH from Jacks R Better. I've slept in it a few times and it is nice, just different from a gathered end which I am used to. It is a double bottom hammock and a pad is very easily slid in between the two layers and stays in place. I am not familiar with WBRR but I think they are of similar size and weights. And the BMBH is easy to set up, most hammocks are with a little practice.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    I recently purchased a Clark NX-250 for my first hammock and could not be more pleased. I am a side sleeper and move around quite a bit when I sleep- the Clarke just plain works for me. I just get in and move slightly diagonal which gets me pretty darn near flat. Get the z-liner or an under quilt- way more comfortable than a pad! I like the z-liner because you don't have to worry as much about the weather (rain) affecting the insulation. Also, the z-liner Velcro's to the hammock which takes some of the guess work/experience required in set-up. I will probably get a down UQ for the Clarke in the future as it will lighten things up a little, take up less pack space, and get me to lower temps but I am hiking. On a motorcycle where weight is not as important you are in great shape with the z-liner and a 0 degree TQ to about 20 degrees- and who wants to ride a motorcycle all day in 20 degree weather.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    IMO there are only three hammock styles for camping - end gathered, bridge, and Exped Ergo.
    As Nodust suggested, getting yourself into a gathered-end hammock cheaply will tell you if this style will work for you. (I tried it and didn't last long...). If you can sleep comfortably in a gathered end, you have many to choose from, at lots of different prices.
    Bridge hammocks are another possibility, I guess, though they are still in the 'coffin' category for me.
    If your height/weight are in the Ergo range (IMO 6' or less, 200# or less), I'd give it a try. I love mine- no constriction, works with my inflatable pad, and I can roll around all I want. (Edit: ..and no messing around with underquilts for most seasons, either.) Comes with an excellent tarp as well...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner; Chameleon
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A few thoughts/comments:
    I too am an older guy (61) who is mostly a side-sleeper and must say that my WB Ridge Runner, is MUCH more comfortable than my gathered ENO Double (at least for prolonged naps or overnight sleeping). I bought a single layer for hot weather, but kinda wish I had the double layer for a pad. I do use various pads/blankets/ Reflectix, etc in the hammock, but they tend to slide around or bunch up, so I think the double would be more comfortable. I am asking for an UGQ Ambush underquilt for Christmas (:-) ). I have a Cloudburst tarp which is well made, and very functional, but sometimes I wish I had a tarp with doors. Definitely would need it for torrential/blowing storms or deep winter camping.

Gathered-end PROS: hammock more comfortable for sitting cross wise than than Bridge, ridgerunner. Gathered end hammock lighter, more compact and no need to keep up with spreader bars. If you make your own gathered it, You might want to make a bug net as well (eg: Fronky style)/

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Especially for side sleeping I would suggest a Bridge type hammock as they are flat and don't wrap around you. In particular I would recommend the Warbonnet Ridgerunner with a pocket for a pad. Once the pad is in the pocket it absolutely stays put. Underquilts work equally as well with the Bridge hammocks and for me seem to have less fiddle factor than gathered end hammocks. I'm pretty sure Warbonnet has a return policy so you could order two different models and return one. Gathered end hammocks can be a bit lighter than the Bridges but if you are motorcycle camping that is not an issue. If you go with the Ridgerunner I would highly recommend buying the Spindrift sock for cooler temps. It totally blocks the wind and raises the inside temperature significantly. Oh yeah....let's not forget the awesome pockets at both ends and the saddlebags on both sides. Lots of convenient room to store things.

Mine is sitting in my suitcase right now patiently waiting for my trip to Puerto Rico in a couple of days.

Miguel

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    It's hard to say if you'll be a restless sleeper in a hammock, as most people simply sleep differently in a hammock than they do in a bed. But if you ARE indeed restless in a hammock, you should go with an underquilt for bottom insulation. That's not the only reason UQ's can be better than pads, but its a big one for restless sleepers, even if you have a sleeve for a pad built into the hammock. Better still, opt for a full length UQ that is wide so it won't slide off your shoulders or your feet. An integrated net may also be a hassle if you need to constantly adjust the quilt because of your thrashing about.

I can say my system is very user friendly (from a fellow thrasher and tosser and turner) and can be adjusted quick while half asleep. Contact me if you would like to try one out for a weekend or two; I'd be more than happy to send out a loaner. I just got back from a group hang at the Red River Gorge where 2 people got to try sleeping overnight in a hammock for the first time (in 20° weather!) We may have made some converts this trip!
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    someone who could only sleep on my side in a bed I sleep fine in a hammock cause its so comfy

so much that I only sleep in a hammock anymore so maybe give one a try for a bit and see what you think as most said the gathered end is cheap to get into and try out and if not happy resale is easy with most of the nicer brands here you wont loose much

have not tried the bridge yet ? want to get one and try it out so I know for sure so cant say that its more comfy or less but again I could only sleep on my side in a normal bed and sleeping on my back in a hammock is so comfy I have no issues

but dont give up after a few nights if its not working read here and adjust and get some pics of it hanging and hanging with you in it so some can help that is a huge thing

the bridge and sleeve and the way it would work with a pad I can see as a plus since it would be easier cheaper than a UQ but for regular hammocks dont like the pads as they tend to get a bit bunched up at times and the moisture issue with them so if you get into this hammock thing as I am sure you will find the one that is for you

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    wbbb web / buckle
    thanks to everybody for your replies and advice. lots of food for thought here. i will say that for now i am leaning toward a warbonnet ridgerunner. the JrB hammock only takes a 26" pad, where the WBRR will take my 30" pad.

pads seem to be deprecated for gathered-end hammocks, and since i want to start out not needing an underquilt, but rather using instead the pad i already have, it looks like the bridge-type is what i will be starting with. so for starters, WBRR with superfly tarp and spindrift cover.

i will say that i am somewhat of a gear hog when it comes to my hobbies and interests, so i am pretty sure i will be getting a gathered-end hammock also at some point, going with a UQ and all.

there's still time for me to re-analyse and change my opinions, and i'm keeping an open mind.

thanks again everybody.

-eric

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Some hammock eye candy......