Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    I know you already decided on your chair ... But, as an "ultralight hiker" my three splurges are a REI flex lite chair, a black diamond mojo lantern and a flask of bourbon. It may add a pound and a half but it's worth every gram.

Hammock
    Grand Trek Ultralight - OD Green
    Tarp
    Tenth Wonder Camo
    Insulation
    MSS 4 part system
    Suspension
    Various
    If you have things to hang from there is an outfit in England that makes a hammock chair, reasonably priced as well http://ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/article...2%26aid%3D8%26
    20140901_151554.jpg20140803_161553.jpg20140730_142518.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Starbuck - thanks for the REI Chair link. I looked at that but 1lb 12oz for just the chair seemed a little heavy. Also, you need young knees to get in and out of that thing. My young knees got old before their time...

JimmyQ - I strongly considered buying that UK chair or one alot like it. At 9ish oz it seemed to be a great fit for my backpacking gear. But sitting facing one of the trees you're attached too wasn't ideal for me. That's why I think adding a little more fabric and adding a sleeve for an air mattress (already part of my gear), I could get something more appealing for relaxing.

I've ordered material and supplies to try my idea. Hopefully sometime the first week of 2015 I can give it a try and post some pics here.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the hangers!

Tex

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Howdy again fellow hangers!

I just completed my first real DIY project. My wife told me this was a little ambitious on my part since I had never used a sewing machine before. Never too late to learn right? So here we have it. My first backpacking recliner. Which I'm proud to say weighs in at a modest 14.5 ounces including whoopie slings.

Hammock Chair 1.jpg

Hammock Chair 2.jpg

Hammock Chair 3.jpg

Hammock Chair 4.jpg

This thing is VERY comfortable! Now I just need a better way of creating an adjustable system for the foot box (where the paper towels are). One problem I have with this design though... Getting my behind far enough back in the seat when first sitting down. That's the most critical part for comfort and obtaining a real reclining position. Let me know what you think!

Tex
    Last edited by Texas Hanger; 01-09-2015 at 13:49.

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex | Std
    Insulation
    Palisade | Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    TH - that looks awesome! Do you think it would be possible to hang it from a single point using something like Dutch Double Hammock Whoopie Hooks?
    A hanging, though, was something different. I got to thinking. We hadn’t never been to nothing just to have a good time. A hanging was special and we was all getting to go.
    ~ Eddie Whitlock, Evil Is Always Human

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by H2Oboy007 View Post
    TH - that looks awesome! Do you think it would be possible to hang it from a single point using something like Dutch Double Hammock Whoopie Hooks?
    Yes, definitely. Take a look at the first pic I posted to start the thread. It used a rigid structural line to keep the chair at the right size. I'm using polyester strapping. One thing I found was using a pad really helped the chair have a consistent structure and feel.

Tex

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex | Std
    Insulation
    Palisade | Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Awesome! Don't supposed you have a pattern handy?
    A hanging, though, was something different. I got to thinking. We hadn’t never been to nothing just to have a good time. A hanging was special and we was all getting to go.

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    Looks similiar to ENO Lounger, which I have one, it's heavy and not easy to find horizontal anchor point to hang (your whole body weight), an UL fabric A-frame design is more practical.

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex | Std
    Insulation
    Palisade | Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Star View Post
    Looks similiar to ENO Lounger, which I have one, it's heavy and not easy to find horizontal anchor point to hang (your whole body weight), an UL fabric A-frame design is more practical.
    I'm familiar with the ENO also. I was thinking of a single point suspension that went from a tree hugger through a standoff ('Y' shaped stick, etc) that contacted the tree, and then down to the chair... this is similar to how I rig my non-potable water bag above my Sawyer. I'll have to work the geometry/math on it - but it's worth thinking about.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by H2Oboy007 View Post
    Awesome! Don't supposed you have a pattern handy?
    No I don't. As far as I can tell this is the first of its kind. I searched for many hours looking for a lightweight option like this. All I could find where about 10 different kinds of hammock chairs. None of which I wanted. This thing is a hodge podge of existing designs coupled with a few ideas I had. I will probably make another one with some minor changes to this first design.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123