DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR

Ozark Trail Cocoon 250 Found.

I just came across a half dozen Cocoon 250's. I would like to know what to be looking for as far as the quality of down since I heard the quality control can be a little off at times

Hammock
    11ft WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    kaq top n bottom
    Suspension
    web n buckles
    since this is a new thread I ALSO have come across the 250's..... how low are people taking them as a TQ with a 3sason UQ? average of course as we all sleep different.

@bananna : what i gathered from the 45 pages of the main thread is that u want to check them in store or buy a few and check them at home..... hold them to the light to look for massive light passing through indicating a bad fill... pick the best/ heaviest/ most filled one... then bring it home and give it the tennis ball treatment to see how she lofts up.

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    How much are these things now? Last time I looked they were still $70 in store.

The one I've handled had some serious gaps and lack of stuff in areas. I would only use it to chop up as a TQ or else in very warm weather.

Also, I get the old tennis ball trick but if you are just gonna pack it up in a bag to take outside (assuming using for backpacking) doesn't this negate putting it in the dryer?

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    $79.97 (showing online for in store pick-up) These are hit or miss. But even the "miss" can have it's place in the gear closet. It just becomes more of a late spring/early fall and summer bag. I have several that passed quality control with flying colors and have been down to 28° with a wool base layer. Placing these in the dryer with tennis ball really does revive the expected loft. These things sit packed up and compressed for months if not over a year without being handled. Once they loft back up, being compressed for 8-12 hours until the end of my day did not seem to effect the down as it was when purchased. It is what it is. It's a $80 bag from wal-mart but it definitely has made it's place in my gear room. I say they are worth it.

Hammock
    11ft WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    kaq top n bottom
    Suspension
    web n buckles
    still runnign $70.

The tennis balls help break up the clumps, which makes it easier to redistribute the down to appropriate areas..

I think anyone would strictly be using this as a summer bag or a tq with an uq.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I actually really lucked out because I went to another Walmart and looked for more (hoping for a clearance). There were none on the shelf and none on the clearance...wait...what's this random bag? A 250! It had no stuff sack and was slightly abused. I assume it was a 250 because it said the filling was .25kg. I got clearance price of 64 - 10% for the missing sack. I think I'll just pack it without a sack in the bottom of my pack. I also plan to chop it up. Do you think the zipper is worth saving by pulling all the stitches or could I just cut along the stitch? The bag I got is actually a winner as far as filling and equal disperse meant, but Ill do my best to relocate the hood down. I originally started the thread wondering if these were hard to find and if someone wanted me to pick one up and ship it.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Std. HH Asym
    Insulation
    Living in FL./HHSS
    Suspension
    Stock HH - for now
    They only have the synthetic ones in my local WalMarts and they aren't available online.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Well I'm not sure if you're interested in paying more, but for about $95, I bet I could ship one. Otherwise, I guess you could wait until they have another online deal. I'm very excited to turn mine into a TQ but I don't have a thread injector. I think I will have to call on my mother's services.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    I've used mine as a converted TQ down to 37 degrees, using a 20 degrees UQ.. very warm
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I'm debating whether to add down or keep as a converted tq. I mainly camp 3-season so leaving it alone seems best but adding down could make me a 4 season camper.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast