so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings

Ozark Trail Cocoon 250 Found.

I'm in the middle of converting this thing and there was a lot of down floating around the place. But I did notice that there was plenty of down in the head of the mummy and I was able to perfectly make a little down hat with it. Fits great and should keep me warm if I ever go out in colder weather. Kept the shock cord in channel which offers about a half inch of adjustability to cap width.

Pics below. And pics of full TQ to follow. I still need to sew it up in some places.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419294319.304689.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419294334.560305.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419294345.950444.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419294355.480673.jpg

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dtp2c111 View Post
    I'm in the middle of converting this thing and there was a lot of down floating around the place. But I did notice that there was plenty of down in the head of the mummy and I was able to perfectly make a little down hat with it. Fits great and should keep me warm if I ever go out in colder weather. Kept the shock cord in channel which offers about a half inch of adjustability to cap width.

Pics below. And pics of full TQ to follow. I still need to sew it up in some places.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419294319.304689.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419294334.560305.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419294345.950444.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419294355.480673.jpg
    Whoa, that's way cool! Is it hard to remove the hood from the bag? I don't know how to sew, and that part intimidates me.

Hammock
    simply light 11' 1.1 sl
    Tarp
    noah12, crazycreek
    Insulation
    SLD Quickhang
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I found one right off the bat that had good loft and down distribution. Bang for the buck, I love this little bag.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    That hat is really nice! I was thinking of using the head down to add to the quilt, but that looks comfy. I don't know if I want to keep or lose the shock cord on the draft collar. Thoughts? I read its best to sew on both sides of a seam then cut along the original seam to prevent down loss. I thought it was a brilliant no-brainier.

Here is what another member did:

Quote Originally Posted by putyourdukesup View Post
    So I've had a Cocoon 200 for a couple months now and I've used it a few times and I was kept comfortable all night. I should preface, though, that I am a ground sleeper with hammocking mainly being my relaxing around camp option but I've learned a lot from this thread so I figured I should share my DIY. So with winter coming to an end I can put my winter bag away and I'm going to give this guy a try this summer as my main sleeping option. In an effort to lighten my load and make me more comfortable at night I figured I would try my hand at making this bag into a top quilt and fixing its uneven fill on the cheap.

First things first. Off with the zippers.
    Attachment 86524
    Attachment 86525

Cut open the bottom of the draft tube.
    Attachment 86528

Drained the tube of its down. Then cut if off.
    Attachment 86529
    Attachment 86530

Sewing the zipper guard over the cut off zipper and draft tube. This actually worked out really well.
    Attachment 86527

I didn't get a picture but I sewed two stitches across the base of the hood and then cut it off so I could harvest its down.
    Attachment 86531

Covered up the hood cut with a bit of the draft tube material to make a channel I might run a cinch cord through.
    Attachment 86532

Pre-refilling
    Attachment 86534

Redistributing the down. Managed to get almost all of it in the bag without it getting everywhere else. (crappy pic)
    Attachment 86535

Stapled up the openings for now to see how it looked
    Attachment 86537

Post down redistribution. I would say it added an extra 4-6" of fill to each tube.
    Attachment 86536

That's what I have done so far. I am going to order 2 or 3 more ounces just to even it out and then trim off about 6" worth of material from one of the sides so the down wont shift as I move around. I'm open for questions, comments or suggestions. Thanks for all the info HF!

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Yeah I pretty much did the same thing but when I clipped off the head of it it worked so well as a hood that I didn't have the heart to use just the down. It did have lots of fill in the head so it was a tough call but I won't be using in very cold temps so it should be fine as is. Guess it depends on how much down you have in main body.

And yes I lost all cords to save weight.

so let me see if i understand this post correctly. you found an ozark trail cocoon 250 SLEEPING BAG and converted it to an under quilt? or is it a premade underquilt? cause i never see ANY hammock stuff around our town(s)

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    We convert the 250 bag to a Topquilt (not under quilt). It's tough to find hammock stuff in any town or big city.

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    hennessy hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    It's also tough to find any down equipment when you live in the south. Or anything made for really cold weather. I try to buy that kind of stuff when I'm visiting family up north.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I converted my bag to the topquilt and gained a nice hood too! I added a drawstring to the hood so that I can cinch it around my neck as well as around the face. Works awesomely! I folded the draft collar over one side and left the gross grain on the other. Then I sewed two lines and cut off the hood Leaving the drawstring in it. I then folded the neck draft collar over the cut and all the way down the top side leaving the shock cord inside again. I can now Velcro the right and left side of the tq around my neck and cinch it tight. After that I can put on my ozark bonnet and sleep tight. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPaZeus View Post
    since this is a new thread I ALSO have come across the 250's..... how low are people taking them as a TQ with a 3sason UQ? average of course as we all sleep different.

@bananna : what i gathered from the 45 pages of the main thread is that u want to check them in store or buy a few and check them at home..... hold them to the light to look for massive light passing through indicating a bad fill... pick the best/ heaviest/ most filled one... then bring it home and give it the tennis ball treatment to see how she lofts up.
    Like this: image.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast