Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images

Do you know any "widows"?

A recent thread discussed the merits of hanging from and among younger/smaller trees to reduce the likelihood of an encounter with a widowmaker. That sounded like generally good advice, but the thread got me thinking and wondering about real risk versus perception of risk.

I realize this could be a painful topic, but do we actually have any fallen soldiers among our ranks who were dispatched by falling tree parts? I wonder how big of a risk a falling limb or tree is when you're not out in gale force winds or a very serious ice storm. It seems like the odds of getting hit would be similar to getting hit by a random bullet in the woods during hunting season (not one intentionally aimed at you because you wore your deer antler hat). The space our bodies take up in the woods is so very, very small compared to all the other space in the woods for that bullet to go or the branch to fall.

Have you or anyone you directly know ever been injured as a result of fallen tree? Try to limit sharing personal close calls, unless they are VERY close calls (i.e. relevant). In other words, if a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is there to get hit, we don't want to hear it.

At the end of the day the odds of cancer, stroke, or heart disease whisking you away from your mortal coil seem to massively outweigh the risk of wood falling on you. We probably should be a lot more concerned with eating, drinking or smoking a "widowmaker", than sleeping under one.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Fronkey is the only person that I know that was almost taken out by a tree.

Video-Fronkey-vs-The-Tree-part-1

Video-Fronkey-vs-The-Tree-part-2
    Last edited by obmit; 12-13-2014 at 14:34.
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    HF Member, GrannyPat, was sleeping in her hammock when one of the (rather large) trees she was hanging from fell. Fortunately, GrannyPat was not injured: See thread HERE. See GrannyPat's pictures at Post #33. She was really lucky not to be hurt.

And this unfortunate young man was killed in his hammock, but by a falling rock, not a tree: Kentucky. But, I didn't know him, so I guess it doesn't qualify.
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 12-13-2014 at 15:25.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Not a hammock death, however, a tree death, sort of. Thur. we had a wind storm, trees came down, a tree hit a vehicle, then the vehicle left the road and hit another tree, teenage boy dead, mother is critical.

I think the percentage of tree or tree parts falling on people is very rare, more chance of being fried by lightening. However, I know there are cases here in Oregon where campers have had trees come over on them. One of my favorite parks is now closed to camping because a tree came over and killed 2 tent campers. Ecola Beach, a walk in camping and surf spot, beautiful, however no camping is allowed.

In Oregon, trees in State campgrounds are being cut down if they show damage. A few years ago they were left now they are cut down. BLM and other owned camping spots still leave it up to the camper to check their surroundings.

We have started checking how the trees react to having weight in the hammock, my daughter attatched her hammock to a tree with a damaged root system, I thought the trees were going to come over on her. She ended up spending the night on the ground. Now we check above and how the trees respond to our loaded hammock, plus we are not going to set up at dusk in the future, to easy to miss something in a safety check.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I saw a branch fall on Detailman's tarp when we were camping at John's Rock. It was only a small one and he wasn't in the hammock, so no damage.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    EE Revolt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The closest I've come is sitting in my hammock and hearing a limb or tree fall

Hammock
    HikingDad Ninja
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    DIY P. TACO
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I believe that shug had a close call when checking a tree. He leaned on it? and it fell over in camp. Luckily it fell away from him, but I think I remember it being a pretty decent size.

So to answer your question, many close calls, but no deaths that I know of. Just use your best judgement when choosing trees. If it's stable but has a branch on the other, non hang side, you should still be just fine.

I had a huge coulter pine cone fall and rip right through my tarp while I was sleeping, luckily It missed me by about 6 inches. I don't sleep under large coulter pine trees anymore :P

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Here is one death I know of;
    (From Wikipedia, about the July 4th, 1999 storm)
    "Minnesota

Damage to trees in the BWCAW
    The derecho moved into Minnesota and caused massive damage in Cass, Itasca, and Aitkin Counties. Damage came out to be around $3 million. A semi-trailer truck was blown over on U.S. Route 53 near Canyon.
    One person was killed and 60 were injured as the derecho passed through the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) and Superior National Forest. People were there to enjoy canoeing and other recreation for the Independence Day weekend. Straight line winds in excess of 90 mph (145 km/h) uprooted and snapped off trees in over 370,000 acres (1,500 kmē) of the 1 million acre (4,000 kmē) wilderness area. In total, more than 477,000 acres (1,930 kmē) of forest was affected in the Superior National Forest in a swath 30 miles (48.3 km) long and 4 to 12 miles (6.4 to 19.3 km) wide.[2] It's estimated that 25 million trees were blown down in the BWCA."

I was in Cass county, near Leech Lake (where the winds were stronger), that weekend. It's the worst storm I've seen in my 43 years. Not a usual scenario at all. I doubt checking for widow makers would have been any help.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Girl, 11, killed when tree falls on tent at Devil's Lake State Park

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/girl-11-killed-when-tree-falls-on-tent-at-devils-lake-state-park-b99281989z1-261434411.html

The risk is indeed low but, tragedy can be seconds away from any of us. I have no conection to the family affected in the news story but, as I camp with my kids alot I remember feeling punched in the gut when hearing of this story this past summer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast