11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings

please help to choose tarp

I'm looking to get my first nice tarp, and am considering the wb supperfly. I am trying to ballance weight with protection due to the variable weather in the mountains. Are there other options I should be considering?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    EE Revolt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    With what you are wanting that's a good choice, a budy of mine has one and it works really well, I have a cloudburst but only because I have a ridge runner. If I had a bb I would probably have a superfly

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Buy the Superfly - you won't regret it!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Can't go wrong with the Superfly, you'll be pleased.

David

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrianschmidt View Post
    I'm looking to get my first nice tarp, and am considering the wb supperfly. I am trying to ballance weight with protection due to the variable weather in the mountains. Are there other options I should be considering?

The Superfly is a great all around tarp that will fit your needs perfect, nice and light and very funtional., that's the way i would go.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Get it! It's the only tarp you will ever need!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    1st Consideration for me was Price/Weight... Basically Cuben Fiber vs. Sil Nylon. 2nd is Length of Tarp vs. Panel Width/Shape of coverage. Finally, door flaps vs. accessary door panels vs. no doors. Superfly is a full coverage Sil Nylon Tarp that provide a lot of coverage with door panels. You cannot go wrong if this is your only purchase. It has become more popular than the Mambajamba but look at the shape of each tarp to see coverage patterns. I personally went light weight and small area of coverage, but still could add doors if necessary. I currently use the Edge (Cloudburst is similar but different company) because of Price/Weight. I'm saving for a Cuben Fiber Winter Palace for Weight/Panel Width/ Shape of Coverage; in the future.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My Superfly was still around 23 ounces with Zing-it lines, and 2x Dutch Flyz (pretty standard rigging for this tarp). That's heavier than many (eww) lightweight tents out there, and especially heavy if you want a light pack (i.e. 'ultralight'). If going lightweight is your philosophy, there's really no tarp that will give you the same protection as a tent (i.e. a tarp with doors) without spending nearly $300 for a Cuben Fiber tarp. I tried the Superfly first - and it really is wonderful for full weather coverage (and I really liked putting it in porch mode), but it was just too heavy when I found myself trying to cut weight everywhere I could.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    If you want just one tarp for all occasions, get the Superfly. If you don't need the full coverage, get something lighter and smaller.

As stated, the SF can be set in porch mode, as well as set up high or low to the ground, doors closed or tied back. Lots of options.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The Superfly is a great tarp for sure. But I would only carry it when I really need that much coverage. If you don't do winter camping and don't expect to be out in rainstorms, you might want to consider the Mamajamba. It has the same coverage as the Superfly, minus the doors - therefore it weighs less. It's a great 3-season tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    My Superfly was still around 23 ounces with Zing-it lines, and 2x Dutch Flyz (pretty standard rigging for this tarp). That's heavier than many (eww) lightweight tents out there, and especially heavy if you want a light pack (i.e. 'ultralight'). If going lightweight is your philosophy, there's really no tarp that will give you the same protection as a tent (i.e. a tarp with doors) without spending nearly $300 for a Cuben Fiber tarp. I tried the Superfly first - and it really is wonderful for full weather coverage (and I really liked putting it in porch mode), but it was just too heavy when I found myself trying to cut weight everywhere I could.
    It's not fair to compare the Superfly to a UL tent. To be ultralight, most tents are dachshund garages. There are UL hammock set-ups that are much more comparable to UL tents. The kind of coverage you get with the SF should only be compared with the larger tents that will give you the same room.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast