Rope replacement

Have a safari deluxe classic xxl (don't believe they make them anymore, just in the zip model) and hate hate hate the rope lashing. Tried the daisy chains with knotted loop but didn't like it. So went all out and got beetle buckles on 15' of spider/poly from Dutch, and 1/8" continuous loops (15" in length, as the ends are the older fused not sewn style). I have it hanging in the backyard, successfully supported my girthy frame of around 275 ish.....Before weight of hammock , ropes, and straps was 1458grams. After replacement of ropes with cl, and with the two spider/poly straps and the buckles the lot weighs 1325g. While not ultralight...it's an improvement!!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    It’s fun to try new suspensions.
    The proof is in the pudding, if it works, great, and if not, it’s back to the drawing board.
    Most of us have tried a few suspensions, with various results!

Hammock
    HH 4Season Explorer Zip XL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Good call Tankenator - same mod that I use. Not sure why Hennessy is glued to the rope system.

This is what I went with for mine. I have a classic expedition and was very tired of the ropes. They worked with no issue, but the speed of cont loops with the beetle buckle straps was a game changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH 4Season Explorer Zip XL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Saybro View Post
    This is what I went with for mine. I have a classic expedition and was very tired of the ropes. They worked with no issue, but the speed of cont loops with the beetle buckle straps was a game changer.

An absolute game changer indeed:

- Lighter and more compact to pack.
    - Ease of adjusting length.
    - Quicker set up and with the ability to temporarily remove the hammock if you need to for a storm during the day when you're not using it for instance. Straps can remain in place.
    - Ease of making height adjustments at the trees.
    - No real learning curve

Only downsides in my opinion are cost and the one-time simple process of modifying your hammock ends.

Can someone explain how you replaced the rope ends with continuous loops? Our club has two of the "Explorer Classic" hammocks which I'd also like to retrofit to make them lighter and easier to use. I haven't taken apart the black fabric material that covers the ends yet, as it's cinched closed with a zip-tie, so I don't know whether the hammock end is sewn of fused as mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmcwill View Post
    Can someone explain how you replaced the rope ends with continuous loops? Our club has two of the "Explorer Classic" hammocks which I'd also like to retrofit to make them lighter and easier to use. I haven't taken apart the black fabric material that covers the ends yet, as it's cinched closed with a zip-tie, so I don't know whether the hammock end is sewn of fused as mentioned above.
    https://youtu.be/_r0tkXW-Go4?si=lbEzWIJEOxXld3Cv

This shows you how to determine which you have.

If you have you have the end that has the added strap it's a simple loop on and it'll hold. That's how mine is. If you have the burnt through end or whatever then use the video below. Burnt or fused recommends the longer loop. The strapped end recommends the small. Hope this helps!

https://youtu.be/UpOM2zX8HLg?si=ltW-aQFfOkGcmHTs

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmcwill View Post
    In all the Hennessy Hammocks I have ever had, the ends were melted through with a hot sharp tool of some sort for the suspension to fit through. Its very easy to adapt to any other form of suspension. (and put the black sleeve back over)
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts