Images

Need under quilt help

Hello, I am making some under quilts for Christmas and have been following gidgetgirls tutorial and using the catsplat calculator. The problem I am seeing is that the calculator makes more baffles on the outer piece than the inner piece. I am making them 60"X 44" with 3 inch baffle and 3.5 max baffle height. the calculator gives me 6.28 for inner and 7.069 for outer, but this does not work with the outer shell fabric dimensions given of 55.5.

I am sure I am just missing something.
    thanks

Ok I looked at the second version with the cross section diagram and see that I need to measure in the baffle height from the egde before I mark the baffle spacing. Will post an update went get it finished.
    Last edited by mtinaz; 12-05-2014 at 22:28.

Images

Update on quilts

Well I wanted to say thanks, and give an update. I was originally going to modify some sleeping bags as under quilts for my kids. I ordered an older REI bag from ebay and the thing was a monster. even cut down it was over 4lbs. I was hoping there was enough down to make two quilts so I ordered the materials. It turned out the down was a very low quality with a lot of feathers. I filled the brown UQ with that mix and plan to replace it some time down the road.
    Due to the weight of the fill I ordered a pound of duck down from smileyme.com. This was a decent down but still not much of a fill power. I would estimate it at 500 maybe. The catsplat calc said I would need 15oz of 600 fill and this pound did not quite fill the UQ. Over all I learned a lot and with gidget girls tutorial and the catsplat calculator it was not near as difficult project as I had thought it would be.
    A few lessons learned. Make sure you measure in your seam allowance and the baffle height before measuring your baffle spacing. Financial restraints required I go as cheap as possible and as such some things suffered. Buy the best down you can afford it really, really makes a big difference.
    Brown UQ with old sleeping bag fill 36oz. blue bag with duck fill and a few handfulls of the other fill 25oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I'm going down this path now using a down comforter. I'll likely come to the same conclusions. Unfortunately, some lessons have to be learned the hard way.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

• + New Posts