Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks

The need for insulation

I figured I'd share an observation so anyone new to hammocks can appreciate the need for some sort of insulation. Last night I slept in my bedroom in my hammock and tossed a light 40 degree sleeping bag over my top since it was nearby. I was sleeping in flannel pants and a sweatshirt and it was probably 68-70 when I went to sleep. I woke up a few hours later feeling cold spots on my back and couldn't fall back asleep due to them so I switched to my bed to finish out the night. I checked the temp in the room in the morning and it was 65 degrees. In a room indoors with no breeze and a relatively warm temp compared to outdoors at nearly any time of year, it was cold enough to disrupt my sleep without some form of insulation. I guess next time I'll attach my underquilt and not be so lazy. I share this because there was a time that I thought I could get away with camping with nothing more than a hammock and I've come to realize how uncomfortable it can be once the temp drops even a little bit, if you don't have something to insulate you. Add wind into the equation and I get uncomfortable at an even higher temp. Of course, each person will probably have a slightly different threshold for what is uncomfortable.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Yep most of us consistently report 70 degrees as the threshold of comfort for under insulation. For in the house adding a light weight quilt or a heavy blanket can make a huge difference in comfort.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Conversely, that cold feeling from convection underneath you is all that allows me to sleep outside during the summers here in Florida (when the temperatures rarely dip below 80* F, even at 5 AM). It's no surprise that the inventors of the hammock were tropical cultures.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

I've found ripstop really holds the cold. If you lay your arm against the cold material the arm gets cold and the ripstop doesn't get any warmer. I've been sleeping outside in my DL hammock with two pads inside and a sleeping bag for cover down to 14 degrees very comfortably. I have DIY bugnet made from a curtain sheer and I've found that leaving it on in the winter actually helps with maintaining warmth.
    There's no excuse for laziness...

but, if you find one, let me know.

I learned that lesson in august with day time temps near 100*f. It was my first time hammock camping and when I tossed a fleece bag liner in my kit I told my wife that I didn't know why I was taking it, surely I want need it. on the second night I woke up chilled and that liner saved me. I don't know what the temp fell to but it was low enough to teach me a valuable lesson. I am sure there are many more lessons to come.

creek

Hammock
    DIY, Dreamhammock roamingGnome
    Tarp
    HGCF3 WinterPalace
    Insulation
    UKhammocks tq + uq
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    I like wrapping in a wool blanket in house in that temperatures. It prevents you from laying against the ripstop.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Nice post!

Quote Originally Posted by Great egret View Post
    I like wrapping in a wool blanket in house in that temperatures. It prevents you from laying against the ripstop.
    I don't like laying bare skin on lightweight ripstop nylon either... I have to sleep with a shirt on my back even when I'm hanging in the house... i stick to it otherwise. Other hammocks like ENO or a heavier weight nylon like a Hennessy aren't so bad with a bare back; but the need for under insulation is ALWAYS there at least some point during the night.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    My solution for the next night was just to strap on my underquilt. I guess my interest in posting was that, early on I started with an ENO hammock and a set of their straps. I thought this would be a great camping set up. Over time I ended up with a half dozen hammocks, a tarp, UQ, and TQ. Camping in a hammock can be a very light weight, fun, and comfortable adventure BUT for those just starting out, I wanted to emphasize the real need to address the need for some sort of insulation whether it's a UQ, a pad, or just a wool blanket tossed in the bottom of the hammock. Ultimately I think in most climates outdoors, and even indoors in my example here, many of us will find it an absolute necessity to insulate somehow.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanS View Post
    My solution for the next night was just to strap on my underquilt. I guess my interest in posting was that, early on I started with an ENO hammock and a set of their straps. I thought this would be a great camping set up. Over time I ended up with a half dozen hammocks, a tarp, UQ, and TQ. Camping in a hammock can be a very light weight, fun, and comfortable adventure BUT for those just starting out, I wanted to emphasize the real need to address the need for some sort of insulation whether it's a UQ, a pad, or just a wool blanket tossed in the bottom of the hammock. Ultimately I think in most climates outdoors, and even indoors in my example here, many of us will find it an absolute necessity to insulate somehow.
    Right on BryanS. I think most people look at hammocks as a way to save weight and bulk but fail to realize the need for insulation. All that stuff adds up in weight and bulk and adds to the complexity (and cost) of a hammock rig. Hammock shouldn't be seen as a lighter set up (tho they can be) but should be seen as a much more comfortable and adaptable sleep system.

That's why I've created a hammock that has built in insulation... building into the system the ONE thing that is required in all seasons! why was this overlooked for so long??
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

AN idea for you could be what I am looking to TRY to make for my Roo Hammock. HH Hammocks sell what it called the super shelter. It includes an UnderCover the essentially make your hammock like a duel layer hammock. I own the supper shelter for my HH and I just stuff a foam pad of even a blanket between the hammock and the UnderCover. It is removable without messing with the suspension but you may need to get one made for your hammock. Where I live there are so few days in summer for a basic hammock like the ROO so I am exploring the idea to make a couple of UnderCovers for the ROO's. I cant sew but but I'll try :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast